Weddings Your Order of Sequence?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I just find it odd that you would not do the cake before the meal or during. Don't they eat the cake with the meal or right after?

I rarely ever see that. The staff is usually too busy serving dinner, clearing plates, Etc. It's all about balancing things out...flow, not crammed together.

Today's Brides ( at least in my area) want to party! They are tired of the old ho-hum wedding reception rituals. They want to be spotlighted and want to have fun!

As for inter-action, yes, we do some games. We do line dancing, ethnic group dancing, and custom tailor the time line to fit the Bride's wishes.

High energy dancing before & during dinner entered the arena about 2 years ago and is going stronger and stronger! For years it was American Songbook slow dance favorites. That's gone now - at least for the time being. Next year? Who Knows?

For now--it's about individuality, and fun! Cookie cutter weddings are essentially out.

This new entertainment formula is working fantastically. The banquet managers don't like it--but they aren't paying me--the bride is!

And I have to tell you--the bookings and the prices are WAAAY UP!

Weddings Today --- Make It Fun!

That's east coast. It rarely ever happens here. Tried it once & the staff was mad at me because they are trying to serve dinner & wanted guests in their seats.

If the DJ makes it more difficult for the catering staff, you risk being blacklisted/not recommended by that venue. Seen it done. They consider you difficult to work with. It's a team effort.

I run mine as follows (Times just for guidance)

6:00PM Guests Arrive
6:30PM Cocktail Hour
7:30PM Introductions
7:35PM The First Dance
7:40PM Parent Dances
7:50PM Guests Seated
7:50PM Toasts
7:55PM Blessing
8:00PM Dinner
8:45PM Open Dancing (Start with Anniversary Dance)
9:30PM Cake Cutting
9:40PM Bouquet & Garter
9:50PM Open Dancing
11:00PM The Last Dance

95% of my events are done in this order

When I was in the North East I use to do quick sets between courses but down here that doesn't happen..

I just find it odd that you would not do the cake before the meal or during. Don't they eat the cake with the meal or right after?
In 20 years of DJing between NY, Conn, and Florida I have never done this or seen it. Cake was never done before or during dinner always after. Interesting how different part of the country do things. It's nice to learn in case any of us ever relocate.

That's east coast. It rarely ever happens here. Tried it once & the staff was mad at me because they are trying to serve dinner & wanted guests in their seats.

If the DJ makes it more difficult for the catering staff, you risk being blacklisted/not recommended by that venue. Seen it done. They consider you difficult to work with. It's a team effort.

I understand what you are saying Bill. But I cater to the bride. I actually have my own "Black List" for catering venues. As I cater to the bride's wishes, so should the venues.

I am considered very difficult to work with by the venues. This is a big plus for me because the brides know that I will make every effort to satisfy them, and to hell with unwilling venues.

One major venue here in New Jersey was so upset that I had black listed them, the owner invited me for dinner and we had a very productive meeting to discuss getting the venue off my list. (2 brides had cancelled their contracts with the venue because of me).

Today, I am the recommended DJ at that venue, and the venue now pays more attention to the bride and the success of her reception than they had previously. Their bookings are up substantially, and several other venues have implemented changes similar to theirs.

In today's wedding market, it's all about the bride!

(note: I have a half dozen venues in which I refuse to work in---I actually offer prospective clients a special discount from my rates, if they move their venue choice to one that works better for both of us)

I understand what you are saying Bill. But I cater to the bride. I actually have my own "Black List" for catering venues. As I cater to the bride's wishes, so should the venues.

I am considered very difficult to work with by the venues. This is a big plus for me because the brides know that I will make every effort to satisfy them, and to hell with unwilling venues.

One major venue here in New Jersey was so upset that I had black listed them, the owner invited me for dinner and we had a very productive meeting to discuss getting the venue off my list. (2 brides had cancelled their contracts with the venue because of me).

Today, I am the recommended DJ at that venue, and the venue now pays more attention to the bride and the success of her reception than they had previously. Their bookings are up substantially, and several other venues have implemented changes similar to theirs.

In today's wedding market, it's all about the bride!

(note: I have a half dozen venues in which I refuse to work in---I actually offer prospective clients a special discount from my rates, if they move their venue choice to one that works better for both of us)

Must be nice!

For me it usually is:

Cocktail Hour
Grand Entrance
Blessing
Dinner
Toasts
First Dance
Father/Daughter & Mother/Son dance
Anniversary Dance
Open Dance
Cake Cutting
Dollar Dance (if they choose)
Open Dance
Bouquet and Garter
Open Dance

I like to break up dancing into 30-45 minute sets.

As far as the first dance, my preference is to make it after dinner, but more and more venues are recommending it before the dinner and I don't like to go against the current.

I prefer the toast after dinner. The way it was explained to me, the purpose of champagne is to cleanse the palate and cleanse the soul after a meal.

Must be a regional thing.
We always cut the cake right after dinner, as most brides serve it as dessert.
there are a few venues who like the b/g to cut the cake BEFORE dinner...
for the same reason.
Around here, most places won't let you wait for an hour after dinner to cvut the cake...because they want to send their servers home as soon as possible.

Mines never the same way twice in a month

each Bride wants it done differently and thats what I do
its thier wedding of course