Yorkville LS800P Problem

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

roffy

New DJ
Feb 25, 2007
Well, I have had this sub for around 7 months and this is my first issue with it. My first one came DOA with a faulty amp, this one has worked great but I haven't even played but a couple shows with it. I am holding off with the DJ/KJ business until after my wife and I move. So it's been in my basement, providing entertainment for a few parties.
So anyway, all of a sudden I go to turn it on and it doesn't turn on. The breaker keeps popping. I then tried unplugging the input cables (XLR) and changing the power cord and it's still doing it.
I assume it needs serviced.

Is Yorkville always this problematic or am I just having really bad luck? It's upsetting to buy an expensive sub only to have problems with it. I LOVE the way this sub sounds, but I am starting to wonder if it's worth the hassle.

By the way, the last time I used it, it was working absolutely fine and I don't push it that hard. As I said, it's down in my basement so it's not like I can crank it near it's full potential.

Well, I have had this sub for around 7 months and this is my first issue with it. My first one came DOA with a faulty amp, this one has worked great but I haven't even played but a couple shows with it. I am holding off with the DJ/KJ business until after my wife and I move. So it's been in my basement, providing entertainment for a few parties.
So anyway, all of a sudden I go to turn it on and it doesn't turn on. The breaker keeps popping. I then tried unplugging the input cables (XLR) and changing the power cord and it's still doing it.
I assume it needs serviced.

Is Yorkville always this problematic or am I just having really bad luck? It's upsetting to buy an expensive sub only to have problems with it. I LOVE the way this sub sounds, but I am starting to wonder if it's worth the hassle.

By the way, the last time I used it, it was working absolutely fine and I don't push it that hard. As I said, it's down in my basement so it's not like I can crank it near it's full potential.

I just had a buddy of mine that had problems with both of his Yorkville's too. Both of them kept shorting out. He ended up returning them and getting a couple more. So far they're trouble free.

This is and has always been just one of a mirad of problems that powered speakers have the potential of coming down with. I learned a good while ago not to put my nuts in that tree.

I have never had anything but trouble with Yorkville but I have buddies that swear by them

I had a buddy cover a tiny party for me using a pair of Yorkville's super powerful EF500P powered speakers. One of them shorted out taking with it part of the recreation complex's breaker panel; the venue was not impressed as they had to call an electrician in to repair it. I played there regulary and never had a power issue so it was definitely the speaker; it had to go in for repair after that cause it was toast.

I prefer the reliability of my RCF active subs and my FBT active speakers.

Yorkville seems to be having alot of problems with the new LS 800p. They changed the amp on it. The new amp's weight is less. I use Yorkie's LS 808 which is the passive version of the LS 800p. The 18'' driver can handle more power then just the 1500 watts, that the 800p gives you. It's driver is rated to handle 1200 watts program and 2400 watts peak. I use a bridged Peavey CS 3000 amp on my LS 808. The amp can put out over 2000 watts @ 8 ohms. One LS 808 can handle the much power no problem. If I was you I would try to return your 800p and get the 808's. The Peavey CS 3000 and QSC plx2 3102 amps would be awesome choices to use with a one or two LS 808's.
Yorkville's LS 808 is the best value in a passive sub, that your going to find any where. I got mine for $600 each.

This is and has always been just one of a mirad of problems that powered speakers have the potential of coming down with. I learned a good while ago not to put my nuts in that tree.
I'm looking to get a new set of speakers and was heavily looking at powered.* Based on this response and potential problem I'm now leaning more toward passive speakers.*
So which speaker is better--passive or powered?

I have had many problems with powered speakers and plan to stick with passive. I feel with a good crossover ther is much more control of the sound of the system. Redundancy is a big factor also if you loses an amp in a powered skeaker you are out with passive you can simply change your amplifer configuration.

I have had many problems with powered speakers and plan to stick with passive. I feel with a good crossover ther is much more control of the sound of the system. Redundancy is a big factor also if you loses an amp in a powered skeaker you are out with passive you can simply change your amplifer configuration.

What if you're only using one amp?

What if you're only using one amp?

I had an occasion to lose one of two powered speakers...Hit the mono switch and finished the night on one box (crowd didn't even realize. it).

That being said...to each his own.....For the smallish 100 to 250 weddings; powered makes it so easy.....

I agree with Steve.

Doesn't matter if you're using Yorkville, RCF, FBT, QSC, EAW or Dynacord, if you are depending on one amp, you're screwed if it goes down. Guys running school dances with a single LS800P are screwed if the sub fails. Guys running a B-52 Matrix style system are totally screwed if the sub goes down since it powers the tops as well. Sure, it may have seperate amps but it's all basically one module with one main fuse and I am sure if there is a problem, the whole deal would shut down.

I run active speakers and subs; sometimes just two tops, sometimes, two tops and a sub, sometimes two tops with two subs and other times four tops and two subs. I never worry about losing a cab since each one is totally independent of the others, I would just shut the one failed cab down and carry on, like Steve said.