Weddings WWYD, guy calls up and says what do you charge for a wedding TOMORROW?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Papa Deuce

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2006
Valley Forge Area
I apparently had that call last Friday.... I had lost my cell phone for almost a week, and just found it today. Battery was dead so I couldn't call it.

Anyway, he called last Friday wanting to know wedding prices for Saturday afternoon.

I'm not so much asking about how much you might charge, but how you would make sure you got paid. Would you want cash ASAP, cash at the reception? Would you take a check?

Cash at the reception would be fine

Cash before the event begins. No exceptions.

---

I had a situation like this about 3 years ago.

It was for a surprise birthday party for his wife.

He would be bringing his wife, and wouldn't be able to pay me ahead of time.

I asked him if he had any friends he could trust. Just give the friend an envelope with cash in it, to give me when I get there.

He thanked me for the good idea, and did just that. And gave me a tip at the end.

If we had the date open, I'd ask for my normal fee.

Paypal or cash before unloading and I'd make sure that we had a quick down and dirty meeting either face-to-face or via phone to rough out the details of the event.

If we were available, I'd take a credit card for the balance, and email him the agreement which he could e-sign and get right back to me. Booked and paid for in minutes.

Very easy.

I had a Weds. for Saturday call a couple weeks back, told him cash only, in my hand BEFORE one piece of equipment was unloaded. He was perfectly fine with that, and all went well.

If we decided to accept, terms would be cashola on hand before one thing is unloaded from the truck. We'll be at your venue. Bring the dough. :)

I apparently had that call last Friday.... I had lost my cell phone for almost a week, and just found it today. Battery was dead so I couldn't call it.

Anyway, he called last Friday wanting to know wedding prices for Saturday afternoon.

I'm not so much asking about how much you might charge, but how you would make sure you got paid. Would you want cash ASAP, cash at the reception? Would you take a check?

a grand MINIMUM, and 1 hour- no matter how early- for info gathering. That's IF you want to take it.... Not sure that I would...

a grand MINIMUM, and 1 hour- no matter how early- for info gathering. That's IF you want to take it.... Not sure that I would...

I don't understand the thinking of completely screwing someone because of a last minute show. To me, the rate should be the same, no matter if they book 1 year out or 1 day out.

I don't understand the thinking of completely screwing someone because of a last minute show. To me, the rate should be the same, no matter if they book 1 year out or 1 day out.

Here is my opinion:

1. I would have had to cancel plans - not a huge deal.

2. Aggravation with so much last minute preparation

3. Possible adverse reactions by the crowd if I screw up due to the last minute preparations.

I would actually try to get a meeting Friday nite
to go over details...and to get paid. (in full)
at least then you'd have a "little" more time to prepare...
and you could set up knowing you're not gonna get screwed on the money.

If I could not get a Friday nite meeting
I'd want cash (only) before unloading.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't take the call.

I personally love being able to be the hero in a circumstance like that, and did so in December 09 with 3 days notice. it sounds like you would have been doing this with less than 24 hours notice.

What I would do if available:

Contact the client, arrange to meet immediately, explain your pricing, agree on it, and indicate that a contract and full payment are needed when you meet. Cash check or credit card, like anyone else.

Head over to their place and plan it out straightaway.

Sign that contract and get paid. Then, Plan it, and of course, only your list of music or anything they have that you don't will get played.

And show up to play and make it look like you planned it for 6 months.

I would take a check with a signed contract, only if they agreed to meet up at their location (so that you can actually see where they live;))

Been lucky these 15 yrs, I've only ever had one check bounce, and they paid it up the following day in a cashiers check.

Without knowing more about the nature of the call(Last minute proposal, or DJ backed out), I couldn't add anything else.