Weddings Would you take this wedding?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Papa Deuce

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2006
Valley Forge Area
A woman I know a little has asked me some questions about possibly doing her wedding this fall. I was answering her when she interrupts me. She says " Before we go any further, I have to tell you, that except for my fiance' and I, our two families HATE each other. We had mixed family events and the police have been called before".... she was laughing. I was not.

She brought this up when I was mentioning my insurance.

Now, she hasn't actually asked me to DJ yet, and possibly she never will, but I'll be turning this one down. I've been to too many weddings where fights and or violence has occured. I DJ'd once at an event - a wedding - where the police took enough people away that they needed one of those short schoool busses. :sqerr::sqeek:

Weddings are such an emotional day, both good and bad.

I'll pass.... How about you?

As long as I am paid up front I certainly don't mind orchastrating (sp) a Romeo and Juliet event, or even a Hatfield/McCoy event!

I'd take it if the price was right. And there's chicken wire surrounding the stage. :D

Seriously, I'd be leery. It's one thing if both sides of the aisle are willing to put aside their differences for the sake of the B&G. It's another thing entirely when people come to a wedding with a chip on their shoulders, looking for trouble. :eek:

Pass, but if you don't get that buy out your looking for you just might have to take what you can get!!!

Nah. we'll be OK...

High negative emotions and alchohol are never a good mix... I have had about 4 really bad experiences that occured with no "warning". Given some warning, I'll pass. :sqbiggrin:

Given warning I setup so that my system is protected, also bring my tire billy in just in case!

I too, would pass on the event. I forget who it was here here at ODJT, but they gave some suggestions on how to ask open-ended questions to get potential clients to talk openly. I've taken that advise, along with listening to the responses and have selectively turned down more than a few gigs where a 'red light' went off during the interview conversation.

If you are asked, what will your response be in why you cannot do the gig?

holy crap
I'm surprised if that bride gets ANYONE to do that wedding!
(until she stops telling them about the families)

1- this is the best argument for eloping I have ever heard
2- even if they DONT fight, it's gonna be a sucky dance floor all night!

I know how bad it can get when only ONE person doesn't play well with others
can't imagine a whole room full!
:sqerr:

I would do it at the right price

any damages then they have to pay for them
I have the bassball bat behind the console
plus have the Sword I carry for cutting the cake that comes in handy

plus one thing, who would go near me when I put my sunnies on and I look like a bikie with attitude!!....... :)

Take the wedding but leave the Bose at home and take Peavey instead. :sqlaugh:

I've been to too many weddings where fights and or violence has occured. I DJ'd once at an event - a wedding - where the police took enough people away that they needed one of those short schoool busses.

I never thought I'd say this but, you made me do it:

"You need to raise your rates."

Seriously, if the crowd is leaving in a paddy wagon, ambulence, or hearse, at very least you need to find a better class of losers.

She brought this up when I was mentioning my insurance.

Why would you bring that up? It's NOT a selling point. You shouldn't even mention insurance unless your client or their facility is requesting a POI certificate.

Insurance does nothing for your client - it simultaneously protects YOU from them and YOU from YOUR OWN MISTAKES.

By extension, it protects their INSURER from exposure it might have if you were uninsured. It really does nothing for the client themselves. Venues request your proof of insurance because requiring you to be self-insured can lower the cost of their premiums. That's why some ask for it and others don't - it all depends on the plan they have in place.

I never thought I'd say this but, you made me do it:

"You need to raise your rates."

Seriously, if the crowd is leaving in a paddy wagon, ambulence, or hearse, at very least you need to find a better class of losers.

Why would you bring that up? It's NOT a selling point. You shouldn't even mention insurance unless your client or their facility is requesting a POI certificate.

Insurance does nothing for your client - it simultaneously protects YOU from them and YOU from YOUR OWN MISTAKES.

By extension, it protects their INSURER from exposure it might have if you were uninsured. It really does nothing for the client themselves. Venues request your proof of insurance because requiring you to be self-insured can lower the cost of their premiums. That's why some ask for it and others don't - it all depends on the plan they have in place.

It was in the 80's and I was working for The Pros DJ service. I made $40. :sqerr:

We'll do it. Charge extra money and have their credit card on file to pay for any damages. let's roll!