Worst wedding scenario you have had to over come

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
I had a wedding several years ago where I was set up and ready to play, I had been paid in full prior to the event, doors to the reception are supposed to open at 5pm, I receive a call from the groom at 4:30 " Hey there's been a ton of drama today and we don't want to deal with it anymore so we are just gonna leave for our honeymoon and skip the reception, could you make an announcement for us we haven't told anyone. we are turning off our phones and will be unavailable" He was super nice about it and it was obvious they had had enough drama for the day.
I grabbed both sets of parents when they arrived and told a little white lie about both the bride and groom feeling overwhelmed by the the day and that that had decided to proceed straight to their honeymoon, I assured them I would make the best of the situation. I made an announcement that they would not be joining us tonight but that they had asked that we enjoy the celebration of their marriage regardless, we got through dinner and a couple hours of dancing before most of the crowd trickled out of the venue.

Weird part a couple of weeks later I received a thank you card and a tip from from the couple

It actually didn't surprise me too much when he called, it was easy to tell throughout the planning process, that they were having the reception because the families wanted one, not because it was their choice.

I don't either. I've had some where the B / G were detracted from the reception - because similarly, they didn't want the party - but nothing like yours.

This one is super easy, mother of the bride died 8 hours before the wedding. The couple knew that her mom wanted nothing more than for them to get get married. The wedding was a destination wedding. It was the hardest wedding by far we had ever done. The guests were told when the bride walked in by herself. Her mom was to walk in with her. Guests wept at the ceremony and during the most touching first dance we had ever done. I had gathered the women that were there and told them before they got back from photos. That when open dance started to get the bride and dance with her. The groom told me early he wanted it to be as close to normal as I could do. Long story short the bride and groom came to our roomed after everything and tipped us and thanked us for making a hard day beautiful. I had been on my knees many times that day praying and thanking God.

Reactions: Andy A and Ausumm
It actually didn't surprise me too much when he called, it was easy to tell throughout the planning process, that they were having the reception because the families wanted one, not because it was their choice.

I had one, at a country club, where the couple showed up then bolted after 20 minutes. You could tell the MOB was crushed and the guests were insulted. Still, to just not show up, and then to call your DJ, instead of family? I'd be willing to bet you there are some regrets over that one.

I had one where the B&G showed up almost at midnight did their first dance and left within 10 minutes I never got an explanation and didn't ask for one

Another I was setup and ready to go and the bartender at the venue came up with an envelope for me with cash in it for my fee and a note the Bride and the Best Man took off together

Worst scenario I had was at my very first wedding.
The bride's ex boyfriend showed up to crash the party. So the groom took him outside to "discuss" it.
The whole place cleared out in less than a minute.
Fortunately, it ended well. The groom kicked his ass, and the party continued.

Still, to just not show up, and then to call your DJ, instead of family? I'd be willing to bet you there are some regrets over that one.

Actually, it's perfect. If they had called anyone in the family, they would have caused an argument.
The DJ was one person who wasn't gonna try to talk them out of it.

I had a groom end up in the emergency room shortly after the ceremony... He had food poisoning and when he finally made it to the reception he did the toasts with pedialight instead of champaign.... Poor guy threw up on his new bride after the I Dos

Reactions: DjDennis and Ausumm
I was DJing a Sunday afternoon dace for a very young couple (she was in her first year of college, he just finished boot camp with the Marines). One of the grandparents didn't make it and during the ceremony they got a phone call that she had passed away. The bride came up, explained the situation, barely holding it together, and asked if I could just go ahead and end the dance. Of course, I said yes, got on the mic and explained that the couple wanted to hit the road and thanked everyone from coming out.

How about 2 bus loads of people getting take away by the police? Yep. I had that.

I also had a B & G show up at the reception, ask for the mic, and thank everybody for coming.... they handed me $100, and said "Show them a good time." And they left on their honeymoon.... same venue that I had my own reception.

Did a reception at a nice local hall maybe 20 years ago. About an hour into the dancing, someone runs across the room and tells me to cut the music. I look up and by the bar, the Father of the Bride is on the floor and they're all over him trying CPR. Music shut down and EMS crew arrives in minutes. Bride and Groom go up to a special room to collect their thoughts. I was told to do nothing until instructed. Maybe an hour later, I'm told that he passed away and that I'm to say nothing, but to get people dancing again! Bride & Groom are still missing and I decide that this has to be done methodically and not just a cold start to get people dancing. There were a lot of kids there, so I asked the children to come out and I started a few kids dances and asked the adults (parents) to assist.. things like the Hokey Pokey, Chicken Dance (I'm in Pennsylvania), and Locomotion.. once they got moving, I transitioned our conga line to Hot, Hot, Hot and went on from there. Bride & Groom showed up in the last half hour and we skipped most of the formalities and just rode out the function in its simplest form.

lol I nearly forgot my pants once

well if its a nude wedding yes