Wireless speakers

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Why is there a need to hide? Does a Band hide it's gear, a Pianist his Piano?

I stole this picture from a friend's Facebook page; it's from Fleetwood Mac's concert in Providence the other night. If you look closely at what's on stage, you'll see that the band is hiding its band. Apologies to Fleetwood Mac.

10360555_10204420620209340_7566802128814947245_n.jpg

If you look closely at what's on stage, you'll see that the band is hiding its band. Apologies to Fleetwood Mac.

What do you mean by "band is hiding its band"? You're saying they have a fake band with a real band actually doing the playing? The guys behind the drum riser look more like techs to me.

I don't get snaps/crackle/pops with my wireless mic or Sennheiser IEM setup (which I have used for wireless speaker use). It all comes down to the quality of the wireless and the automatic squelch systems.

Reactions: sonic-vision
Yeah, I don't experience it either with my 3000 series AT mic's.

That's the same system I use .. 5 receivers, 4 handhelds, 4 body packs.

What do you mean by "band is hiding its band"? You're saying they have a fake band with a real band actually doing the playing? The guys behind the drum riser look more like techs to me.

They're most likely supplemental musicians; I'm sure the McVies, Mick, Lindsay and Stevie are very much playing live.

It's no secret that U2 has some additional musicians beneath the stage on their tours... there's just no way three musicians plus Bono on vocals can re-create their studio sound live without some extra help.

Sorry to derail the conversation. For what it's worth, I use a Sennheiser IEM system when I need to run a wireless speaker, but prefer to go wired whenever possible.

Reactions: ittigger
The reason why Brides don't like the "Ugly two Speakers on sticks" is because some DJs do not know how to properly deploy them. If all they see when they look over at the DJ Booth is a clump of gear and two speakers that look like Goalposts or supersized headphones, then of course, what is there to like? Lets face it, the copycats have made this setup their standard design, whether or not they have the necessary space to spread out, they still set up in a clump.
The Bose does have a clean look and I am certainly not going to dispute that fact but even with those, some chaps who use a pair spoil the looks by deploying them too close to each other and what is the result? Voila, fat goalposts sticks!

First of all, I'm pretty sure you are not an expert on what BRIDES want.
Secondly, I too, have NEVER had a bride even ASK about my setup.
And lastly...I would bet that NO bride has ever thought that the DJ's speakers were too close together.

Congrats on finding another opportunity to regurgitate your tired, old argument.

First of all, I'm pretty sure you are not an expert on what BRIDES want.
Secondly, I too, have NEVER had a bride even ASK about my setup.
And lastly...I would bet that NO bride has ever thought that the DJ's speakers were too close together.

Congrats on finding another opportunity to regurgitate your tired, old argument.

Good observation, Mike. I doubt seriously that he works many weddings at all.

As for ugly speakers, it's not what I'd call a prominent issue (speaking only for myself)....BUT, I do hear it enough to make it a consideration (3-4 times per year), not to mention that a clean setup does catch the eyes of venue operators who refer a lot of biz. My opinion, it's worth the time to address the subject and to do everything you can to not just ignore the clients.

Reactions: Ron
As for ugly speakers, it's not what I'd call a prominent issue (speaking only for myself)....BUT, I do hear it enough to make it a consideration (3-4 times per year), not to mention that a clean setup does catch the eyes of venue operators who refer a lot of biz. My opinion, it's worth the time to address the subject and to do everything you can to not just ignore the clients.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% in favor of a clean, organized setup.
That's because, like many of us, I am a little OCD...and I put a lot of effort into making mine look good.
I just don't believe that brides have as much opinion on the matter as some may think.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% in favor of a clean, organized setup.
That's because, like many of us, I am a little OCD...and I put a lot of effort into making mine look good.
I just don't believe that brides have as much opinion on the matter as some may think.

For the vast majority of brides, I agree with you that they don't care. Just a wild guess, I'd say maybe 5%-10% take notice of how the setup looks. The thing is though, that sampling makes it a hot button issue. Some girls notice the setup, some girls get stoked over uplights or monograms or photobooths or the fact that you DJ'ed their best friend's wedding. In selling a date, like I'm sure you and everyone else here does, I look for that little something that taps their interests. In real world terms, again just wild-guessing, that clean look might mean an extra 3-5 bookings that I accumulate during the year. That translates to $3k-$8k in extra revenue per year, just because I made "clean" part of my pitch. I've seen your setups and they've always looked great. You're a quality player and I suspect that extra diligence is putting bank in your pocket.

Reactions: Ausumm