Wipes?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I use the Lysol wipes. I wipe them down the first time. (and the last time before I store them). I also have a travel size pack of them that I leave on the monitor stand so that singers can use if they wish to do so.

I don't do what you do(KJ) and I agree something probably does need to be done ... that said, I suggest caution as it has been shown that the use of anti- bacterial/viral products help to create "super" bugs. Unless EVERY virus or bacteria is killed the ones that don't die are the hardiest of the bunch That is part of what caused the rise of MRSA. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Reactions: Dan The Man
I use Foam Mic Screens which I wash in Lysol and soap after each Show. They are Cheap and easily replaced. On my Shure SM 58 and Super 55, I will disassemble the Capsule Cover and sanitize the inner foam screen also with Lysol.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Wes
That sounds much more effective. I know it will sound silly, but has anyone tried putting an actual condom over the mic? I wouldn't do that with a Neumann but nobody is silly enough to use the big bucks mics and let the general public touch em right? I once did a wedding where I was put in the position of having to allow 2 sisters(4 & 5 yrs old) to sign along with a song. One was tossing a relatively expensive wireless all over the place(and failing to catch it all the time the other was swinging the mic by the cord hitting everything in sight,all this while the father beamed proudly at the children.

That sounds much more effective. I know it will sound silly, but has anyone tried putting an actual condom over the mic? I wouldn't do that with a Neumann but nobody is silly enough to use the big bucks mics and let the general public touch em right? I once did a wedding where I was put in the position of having to allow 2 sisters(4 & 5 yrs old) to sign along with a song. One was tossing a relatively expensive wireless all over the place(and failing to catch it all the time the other was swinging the mic by the cord hitting everything in sight,all this while the father beamed proudly at the children.
A Condon is Latex, it is NOT Acoustically transparent. Next time you have a thought like that, go lay down and take a nap....a long one.! ;)

Another thing, I tell anyone who is going to use my Mics is that if you are doing something with it that you should not, the music will stop. I also do Karaoke and have no problem with little children using my EV RE2 N767 Wireless Mics. My objective is to make my Singers and System sound good not hog a Mic like it was some toy. I hate it when I go to other Karaoke Shows and the KJ would not allow people to use his Cheap Nady Wireless and instead directs you to his other cheap wired mic. So yes I am silly enough to let the Public use and touch any of my Expensive gear, including my Mics!

Gear is gear .. I have actually let a singer use a Neumann (KMS 105) I have .. had it in my bag, they asked if I had a good wired mic (before I bought the Shure Super 55), so I plugged it in for that one singer (who was actually pretty good).

I normally have the Shure Supper 55 out now, with 1 or 2 Sennheiser e835 mics.

As long as people aren't sucking on the mic, I don't worry about germs (though I do clean them after a gig .. mainly for handling dirt).

The photo booth props worry me more, lice, fleas, I have always thought if I did photo booth again I would use disposable props.