Which one is more Challenging?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Which Software Is More Challenging?

• VDJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Serato

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Traktor

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other (Please Define)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
Which one of the listed has more of a steeper learning curve.

Last edited:
I bought virtual DJ as my first foray into DJ software I did a gig two hours after downloading it, I have since tried serato, I didn't find it as easy

Similar to the other thread, depending on what you use (or are used to using), they can each be challenging to use. For someone that has not used any of them, they could all be challenging. 'Challenging' could also depend on one's computer skills. Additionally, each software has their own pro's and con's .. and / or unique features.

Last edited:
Tested all of them, the one that I liked the most was VDJ (2006) and haven't looked back. Now with V8 things have been a lot more fun.

I own copies of VDJ, pcdj, several otsav, and Rockit.

I've found otsav to be the best for me. Although I do like some features in VDJ I wish were in Ots. I'm also not happy with the very infrequent updates for OTS

I don't need software that has a steep learning curve. I need software that can do repetitive tasks easily and reliably. This isn't Rockit science (pun intended). Everything else is a bonus.

I see a lot of software that has features that very few people use because it's complicated. The software writers sometimes forget that the user is not always a software expert, nor do they want to be. They need the software to perform tasks reliably.

Apple has made billions because they successfully wrote software with the end user in mind

I do understand that some software needs a steep learning curve because of all of the features. Photoshop is a good example.

Traktor has more of a learning curve for me. I enjoy my Serato Scratch Live and used Virtual DJ once. Traktor would be my next software of choice if it came down to me having to change one day. It seems very stable.

I use a few based on what type of event I'm doing and the type of material I need to play.

VDJ is very intuitive if you have good computer skills. It's a great software to put in front of beginners because they have no trouble understanding what is going on. It does require that you put a few things into human memory, or adjust the settings to certain standards. (For example, there is no "eject" button on the native skin.)

Serato I like because it's features are more inline with what you want in club mixing, and it's sync lock functions quite well in that domain. It is the product most likely to be found installed or supported in a club (controllers) masking it a must-have if you move around or collaborate with other people and vendors.

OtsAV is outdated and it's video rendering method is no longer supported in post XP versions of Windows. Video is unreliable in Ots and on Laptops is often non-functional. I will use it only for music at corporate events, background music, or anywhere that predefined music playlists are utilized. It is designed for automation (unattended play) and is not that great for live DJing or mixing. It does not cue or instant start with same the precision that other softwares do. The skin is crowded and crammed. Licenses are too restrictive, and price is comparatively high given the lack of features. Music management is great - but, you will have to work within the proprietary .ots file format to take full advantage of it. I use hard drives containing libraries in both the .ots and mp3 format to make changing software choices as easy as opening a new application. Ots can run simultaneously with MS Powerpoint which is handy in a corporate AV setting. (So will some of the others.)

MIXX (open source) resides on all my backup laptops and karaoke systems. It is about as functional as VDJ sans some controllers, and I would recommend it to anyone who can not afford to spend money on the other brands. Because it's open source - you can install it anywhere as a backup, or carry the setup program with you on a thumb drive to install on any machine available to you.

CLUB DJ Pro is something a friend of mine swears by - and it seems to be quite reliable for him in both audio and video play. It's price is also a steal for such a full featured DJ sortware. I'm personally not a fan of it's skins (layout) so, I no longer have it installed anywhere.

TRAKTOR is probably what I would use if I still did a lot of club work or really wanted to go deeper into mixing again. It's the expansion possibilities that make the learning curve steeper but, if our musically inclined or have a studio IQ it shouldn't be hard to get exactly what you want from it. (You will spend some coin to get there.)

ABLETON is where the studio meets the DJ. It's a great combination of creative tools and DJ play. Would love to use it but, rarely have the type of application anymore to justify it.

Last edited:
I use a few based on what type of event I'm doing and the type of material I need to play.

VDJ is very intuitive if you have good computer skills. It's a great software to put in front of beginners because they have no trouble understanding what is going on. It does require that you put a few things into human memory, or adjust the settings to certain standards. (For example, there is no "eject" button on the native skin.)

Serato I like because it's features are more inline with what you want in club mixing, and it's sync lock functions quite well in that domain. It is the product most likely to be found installed or supported in a club (controllers) masking it a must-have if you move around or collaborate with other people and vendors.

OtsAV is outdated and it's video rendering method is no longer supported in post XP versions of Windows. Video is unreliable in Ots and on Laptops is often non-functional. I will use it only for music at corporate events, background music, or anywhere that predefined music playlists are utilized. It is designed for automation (unattended play) and is not that great for live DJing or mixing. It does not cue or instant start with same the precision that other softwares do. The skin is crowded and crammed. Licenses are too restrictive, and price is comparatively high given the lack of features. Music management is great - but, you will have to work within the proprietary .ots file format to take full advantage of it. I use hard drives containing libraries in both the .ots and mp3 format to make changing software choices as easy as opening a new application. Ots can run simultaneously with MS Powerpoint which is handy in a corporate AV setting. (So will some of the others.)

MIXX (open source) resides on all my backup laptops and karaoke systems. It is about as functional as VDJ sans some controllers, and I would recommend it to anyone who can not afford to spend money on the other brands. Because it's open source - you can install it anywhere as a backup, or carry the setup program with you on a thumb drive to install on any machine available to you.

CLUB DJ Pro is something a friend of mine swears by - and it seems to be quite reliable for him in both audio and video play. It's price is also a steal for such a full featured DJ sortware. I'm personally not a fan of it's skins (layout) so, I no longer have it installed anywhere.

TRAKTOR is probably what I would use if I still did a lot of club work or really wanted to go deeper into mixing again. It's the expansion possibilities that make the learning curve steeper but, if our musically inclined or have a studio IQ it shouldn't be hard to get exactly what you want from it. (You will spend some coin to get there.)

ABLETON is where the studio meets the DJ. It's a great combination of creative tools and DJ play. Would love to use it but, rarely have the type of application anymore to justify it.

I will agree with you or your post also i think Serato is much more easy to use. I started out with Traktor but move to Serato

Traktor has more of a learning curve for me. I enjoy my Serato Scratch Live and used Virtual DJ once. Traktor would be my next software of choice if it came down to me having to change one day. It seems very stable.
It is very stable. I have been using it about 10 years now and have never had an issue! It is very challenging and can be intimidating. It was to me at first way back then, So many bells and whistles and so many layers of operation.

That depends on how many features the software has and what you plan to do with it. Some have more features then others. One DJ may not need or want a program that has a bunch of features. Some like me like things that are simple. Myself I started with V DJ and that's what I'm used to. It does all I need and I'm happy with it.

My favorite is one I use basically as a DAW sequencer - Mixmeister Fusion, because I need it ASIO compatible (I believe Mixmeister Pro 6 is also ASIO compatible). Unfortunately, it is one of the few software's ever developed where older versions are better - and good luck finding them - an issue that has been discussed to the death on other forums.

Anyway, Fusion has an XML file (that you can edit), that controls the intro, beatmixing, and outro of songs. If you can edit a text file, you can edit this. Really works great.

Last edited: