what might you do

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

redhotdj

Its 5 O'clock somewhere
Mar 21, 2008
Richfield Springs n.y.
I have this one school we play 4 to 6 times a year at and that also includes their prom. This year they booked me for 4 but had to cancel 2 of them because school being closed because of bad weather. They just called me last Friday March 14 to see if we were open for March 21 or 22, YES i know its only a week away, thats just the way some of these schools around here seem to operate. I told them yes to either date but the 22nd. would be better for me but what ever. So we spoke to them on Friday then i get a call on Sunday from one of the students asking the same question and i told her the same answer that Saturday would be better but what ever. Now on Fridays conversation this was a teacher we were talking to. She said they would email me on Monday to which day they wanted. Well today is Tuesday and no response. I'm not afraid to call back but i also don't want them thinking I'm looking for work. Technically I've done my job, they should do theirs. Am I right or wrong?

Reactions: Ausumm
Yes, you can certainly appear hungry with too many phone calls but look at it another way. They are very busy and if you can assist them by making it easy to line up the gig, then you're doing YOUR job. Don't sit back waiting for the phone to ring. Make it happen.

I say call them too they might think they have you booked especially where you were dealing with two different people and one was a student

Reactions: Ausumm
I say call them also to find out what is going on? Someone just might have gotten to send the email. Haven't you forgotten something before?

thanks guys, i DO appreciate your opinions and mix you could be right they may have forgotten, but as for me i am VERY anal about getting back to people thats part of my job and so it should be of the schools. They first of all never said yes that they wanted me, they only asked if i was available for those dates. I am from the old school way of thinking, if i am going to call or do something for you I DO IT

thanks guys, i DO appreciate your opinions and mix you could be right they may have forgotten, but as for me i am VERY anal about getting back to people thats part of my job and so it should be of the schools. They first of all never said yes that they wanted me, they only asked if i was available for those dates. I am from the old school way of thinking, if i am going to call or do something for you I DO IT
Easy does it. They called you. You've done many different events for them. Which tells me they are happy with your price and what you have done for them. If this wasn't the case they wouldn't have called you.

No Jack- not this weekend. I apologize for students making those plans. i will get back to you tomorrow with possible dates to see if you are available

i emailed the adviser Jordan this morning, this is what i got back. Seems like he is trying to put the blame on the kids BUT he his the one who called and talked to my wife on Friday

Since you originally thought the gig was THIS weekend...
that alone is enough reason to contact them.

Reactions: Ron and ittigger
You did the right thing by proactively contacting them. I had/have a prom for 4/27 which I thought was a done deal. The sponsor asked for some documentation which I replied would be on her booking agreement. Never heard back from her and I'm assuming I've lost the gig because of my lack of follow-up. You did the right thing.

Reactions: ittigger
More often than not you are doing the school a favor by checking in. It isn't a sales pitch call, just a courtesy call: "Did you want me to go ahead and reserve that date for you? I wanted to double check and make sure we're on the same page". It's not that uncommon for a school to think they booked because they mentioned it (I've had schools mad because we were booked when they called to 'confirm details', when they never booked, never got a contract. They had commented that they would have us again next year at the end of the night and assumed that was booking it)