What a hell of a last minute call to do a gig!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I was at my best friends house this past Saturday for a cookout to celebrate his birthday on Monday.

At 9:30 I got a phone call from the manager of this bar. I called him right back. He told me the DJ who plays there on Saturdays was a no show. Don't know what happened. All I know is he wanted to know if I could come and play at the bar. I agreed to do it.

Good thing is that me and my best friend live about 2 minutes from each other. I quickly got home and went downstairs to get the van ready to load. I rushed to get that done. The other good part is that the bar isn't that far away from where I live.

I get there and unload. Do the setup and for some reason the right side for the slide on VDJ wouldn't move. Went to my backup laptop and the same thing. Had to do it manually to get the right side to play. I finally was ready to play a little bit before 11:30. I played for a little over 2 hours. I wowed them. Even though at the beginning when I got there they were complaining about the time I got there. I had to get on the mic and explain the situation.

The good news is that at the end I got paid the same amout I would have gotten to play there if I started the regular time which is 8:00. So I made $150.00 to play a little over 2 hours. The way they run business in this bar is a big reason why I accepted the gig. This bar is a class act.

Congrats on the gig.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Way to make it happen Mix!! Makes you feel good to pull off the last minute gig & work thru the problems .

Thanks all. Like I said I did it for this bar because I like the place and the way they operate.

Mix just asking if this bar operates so well, first what happen to the other dj and second why did they call you so late. dj 1 was to start at 8 they call you at 9:30 then by the time you get set up and running its 11:30. Don't get me wrong glade you got the job as they say take the money and run.

2 hours to get there and start playing from the phone call seems like a long time if everything was as close to you as you say

Mix just asking if this bar operates so well, first what happen to the other dj and second why did they call you so late. dj 1 was to start at 8 they call you at 9:30 then by the time you get set up and running its 11:30. Don't get me wrong glade you got the job as they say take the money and run.
I don't know what happened with the other DJ. I said I started playing a little before 11:30. Tunes I had to rush back to my house and gather up the gear to be used. Everything was setup for me to do my radio show the next day. So that meant getting all the wiring I needed together, packing the gear up and loading it in the van. I can't do that in 5-10 minutes.

The bottom line is I saved the day and as for me getting the phone call at 9:30 I don't know what that was about. The manager that called me said he realized there was no DJ there. That's all I could go on. Maybe I'll find out this Thursday what happened. Who knows.

You might also want to double up on stuff so you can keep a working set in your van .. both as backup and for quick (or the occasional emergency) opportunities. The radio show equipment should have been limited to your controller and laptop. If you're using gig gear there, maybe that's another area to address with smaller studio gear.

Reactions: ittigger
You might also want to double up on stuff so you can keep a working set in your van .. both as backup and for quick (or the occasional emergency) opportunities. The radio show equipment should have been limited to your controller and laptop. If you're using gig gear there, maybe that's another area to address with smaller studio gear.
Steve what would you suggest for a smaller setup to do the radio show with?

A pair of powered studio monitors (KRK or similar for less than $350 a pair) and a simple mixer (Behringer or such) .. along with your laptop and Denon, if you need that. Not sure what you need for the internet connection . maybe a second laptop.

If you can leave all the cabling, speakers, internet stuff in place, it would make it easy to do quick events. I know where you live it might not be easy to leave gear in a vehicle, but you can probably get a pair of older powered speakers (maybe Mackie SRM or such) for less than $400-$500 a pair, along with a set of cheap tripods to keep in the van .. then you just have to grab your gig bag of cables and one of the laptops and your Denon. If you can get away with a smaller controller for the internet stuff, say a Numark DJ2GO, the Denon could also be kept in it's case ready for action.

Just brainstorming ideas to allow you to do this kind of thing without spending a lot of time moving gear up and down from the basement.

A pair of powered studio monitors (KRK or similar for less than $350 a pair) and a simple mixer (Behringer or such) .. along with your laptop and Denon, if you need that. Not sure what you need for the internet connection . maybe a second laptop.

If you can leave all the cabling, speakers, internet stuff in place, it would make it easy to do quick events. I know where you live it might not be easy to leave gear in a vehicle, but you can probably get a pair of older powered speakers (maybe Mackie SRM or such) for less than $400-$500 a pair, along with a set of cheap tripods to keep in the van .. then you just have to grab your gig bag of cables and one of the laptops and your Denon. If you can get away with a smaller controller for the internet stuff, say a Numark DJ2GO, the Denon could also be kept in it's case ready for action.

Just brainstorming ideas to allow you to do this kind of thing without spending a lot of time moving gear up and down from the basement.
I can simply use the monitor I just bought to do the radio show and leave the other speakers to move out. If I was to gett another controller it would be the same one I got now even though it's discontinued. You gave me a great idea. Just get the second controller. I have a cheap mixer already that I use. I could get more wiring and keep everything setup like that and I have to do is setup both laptops and that's it. You must use 2 computers. 1 for the internet connection and one to DJ with. I can't leave speakers in the van like that where I live other then the subs. I'm not worried about someone taking those. They are super heavy and too heavy to carry. You would definately need a dolly to move them.

No need to have 2 identical controllers, unless you split up the system a lot. A backup could be the minimal you need to do the job if needed. A second MC6000 is great .. but you can get something less expensive to back it up and keep available.

No need to have 2 identical controllers, unless you split up the system a lot. A backup could be the minimal you need to do the job if needed. A second MC6000 is great .. but you can get something less expensive to back it up and keep available.
I just love that controller and there are some controllers that I hate because I can't get them to work the way I want tbem to work for me. Some the wheels are too small or don't move freely.

Remember .. you'd be looking for a "backup" .. not a primary tool. You can always replace the primary if it goes. The backup or second unit would be used for quick and dirty shows and for backup. It needs to have "enough" capability, but usually doesn't need to mimic every feature of the main unit.

Your call .. just tossing out options for a lower cost and smaller backup system.

Steve sorry but that Newmark controller is pure junk. Never would buy it in 2 million years. Firts the wheels are crap. Need I say more.

Steve sorry but that Newmark controller is pure junk. Never would buy it in 2 million years. Firts the wheels are crap. Need I say more.
Use it all the time. So far has lasted me over a year since it first came out. Simple, does what I need it to.. no issues.

Use it all the time. So far has lasted me over a year since it first came out. Simple, does what I need it to.. no issues.
I agree it's my back up but I have used for small gigs, works perfect, i wish they made a rackmount version

Reactions: Ron