Weddings Weddzilla.com??

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MADNESS

Well-Known DJ
Dec 20, 2006
Florence, AZ
www.primetimedj.net
Anyone heard of this one yet? I got an email from them today. Here is the email.

You are getting this email from Weddzilla.com because a bride in your
area has requested a quote.

Bride Username: duhitsgg
Project Title: Bilingual DJ needed!!

You can view the details of this request here:
<http://beta.weddzilla.com/project.php?project_id=1300000113>.

If you would like to respond, you need to register here:
<http://beta.weddzilla.com/vendor_signup.php?confirm=952048>.

Once you sign up you will only receive notifications like this as a
Platinum Vendor.

To opt out of receiving notifications when brides need your services,
click here:
<http://beta.weddzilla.com/vendor_opt_out.php?vendor_id=952048>.

I have not heard of this company and it is an actual website, But I have not registered for it and wonder how they got my email address.

Geez! I just found my company's name listed there too.

Here is the email I just sent them:

Please remove my company's name from your registry immediately!

I never gave anyone from your company the right to have my company's name displayed on your site.

I do not like the name of your company. It sounds way too much like Bridezilla, and as the owner of the most elite wedding reception DJ service in my area, I do not want it confused or associated with ANY site that disses brides in any way shape or form.

Your acknowledgement and prompt response to this email is appreciated.

It looks like everyone is on the same page ON THIS BOARD.

When I mentioned, on another board, that "Wedzilla" sounds too much like "Bridezilla" and therefore no self-respecting bride would be caught dead using that site........I was blasted by some for being too narrow minded.

I'm just using COMMON SENSE......as should anyone else considering this site for listing their business.

Glad to see I'm not in the minority HERE!

Many new and fledging search sites will simply skim other local listings (phone book, other similar sites, etc) and add/steal those business listings to bulk up their pages and help with SEO. Many businesses don't know about it until they have something to actually offer you and hopefully make some money from you.

I keep getting emails from some new bridal site to "confirm" my information/listing with them. I ignore them.

I just did a 100 mile radius search around my zip code in weddzilla...hmmm, I'm not on there but Chuck/Papa is. I see several others I know, I'll have to mention it to them. Interestingly, they sort the listings alphabetically, not by proximity the original zip code.

OK, here's my take on this whole thing...

Advertisement is advertisement. I am on more sites than I can count. Some are free, some I pay for, and some never even asked. But, my bottom line is that if it gets the company name in front of a prospective client then that works for me.

As to Weddzilla, so what? Just because it is called Weddzilla doesn't mean you are going to get Bridezillas. If she is a Bridezilla, that will come out in the interview and it is your job to make it come out by asking the right questions.

Additionally, brides may think they are Bridezillas, use this site on a whim and turn out not to really be a Bridezilla.

I have had many brides describe themselves as Bridezillas but they weren't.

I have had many brides describe themselves as Bridezillas but they weren't.

So true! They might be PICKY about the music being played, and very specific with their DNP's, but at least you know where they are coming from!

The real BZ's, in my opinion, are the ones who make unreasonable requests or micromanaging playlists, or have a rigid schedule on Excel spreadsheet!

The real BZ's, in my opinion, are the ones who make unreasonable requests or micromanaging playlists, or have a rigid schedule on Excel spreadsheet!

Ehhh... [shrug] Unreasonable requests are in the eyes of the beholder.

As to the playlist I ask:

When you hear the music at your reception is it more important to you that:
A.Your guests get what they want
B.You get what you want
C.A combination of both
How much flexibility do you have?

If they answer A or C, all is well. If they answer B with no flexibility then we have a problem. I ask if they plan to present me with a playlist that I cannot deviate from. If the answer is yes I tell them that the announcement I will make is "Ladies and gentleman, [bride] and [groom] have picked a play list that they know that you will all enjoy and dance to so we will not be taking any requests this evening." I also tell them to be prepared for people to leave early if they do not like the music or for people to be coming to them and spoiling their day. This has gotten all but one thinking and that one told me that I could not make the announcement. I told that one that we were not the mobile entertainment company for them and ended the interview.

Actually, I don't mind a "rigid" schedule on a spreadsheet. If they have that at the interview I'll show them wher flexibility is needed. If they don't want to be flexible, I'm not their DJ.

Guess I'm not popular enough, I'm not on that site. :sqembarrassed:

Boy, this thread became a train wreck real quick......

The topic at hand is not what we think of so called "Bridezillas", gentlemen (and ladies).....we've all had our fair share and learned from them.......let's remain on topic. If you want to start a new thread or continue one that deals with "BrideZillas", then please feel free.

The topic of the thread deals with a Website that lists some of our names and businesses without our permission being granted, and the domain name of that website.

Allow me to share here, what I shared in e-mail conversation with the folks from that website:

Their first response to my rant about not wanting my site listed on theirs (which you can read above) -

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Weddzilla Member Contact Form
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:08:20 PM

We will remove you from the directory shortly - but just so you know,
our site Weddzilla.com is aiming to be the Anti-Bridezilla. We make
it easier for the brides to find great vendors like you - thus cutting
down on the potential stress and bridezilla inducing panic that comes
with planning a wedding.

Our site was designed by a bride for future brides...so it is no way
derogatory to brides! Hope you decide to come back at some point so
you can search our weddifieds for brides looking for your services!

Thanks!

Weddzilla Feedback Team
[email protected]

and then my long (and hopefully eye-opening email back to them)

To: "WEDDZILLA.COM" <[email protected]
Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 11:35 PM, Greg McLeese wrote:

Trust me when I say this - EVERY chat board that is frequented by vendor Professionals like myself, which I happen to be an Administrator for one, your site's name is getting very bad press.

Perhaps I should copy and paste some of the responses my fellow colleagues are posting online about your site - the fact that many of them NEVER signed up for your site, and that they are concerned (as am I) that their name will be associated with the term "Bridezilla", when in fact, we have all worked very hard over the years to elevate ourselves and our businesses above and beyond the fold. We like to call it "Setting The Bar High".

National organizations such as The American Disc Jockey Association, National Association of Mobile Entertainers, and local chapters of Merchant Associations all promote "elevating your standards".

You see, for many years, many vendors such as myself have taken a huge amount of pride in the fact that we go the extra mile for our couples. But - there are those select few "fly by night" vendors that have no regard for a Bride's special day, and that paints a very negative picture for all of us - from photographers, to videographers, to caterers, and especially toward DJ's. I can't tell you how many times I have heard from Brides that called me initially, and then balked at my price to hire another DJ for less, only to be completely dis-satisfied with what they got for that lesser price. And I hear that ALOT - Brides that tell me that they wished they had spent that extra few dollars for the peace of mind that comes with hiring a professional, instead of trying to cut corners and save a few bucks in the short term.

With this being said, I hope you will see that the name you have chosen for this site is not only a very bad idea, but is being frowned upon by would-be vendors. And that IS how you have to survive isn't it? By vendors like myself paying for what any particular site offers?

As I said in my opening line, your site's name is getting some very bad reviews from professional vendors. If I were the owner of the site, I would hastily think about changing the domain name.

Perhaps you should take a clue from the following sites, which I happen to belong to:

www.weddingwire.com
www.wedj.com
www.marthastewart.com
www.wedplan.net
www.weddepot.com
www.decidio.com

Regards,

--
Greg McLeese
Owner/Operator
KICKIT PRODUCTIONS
MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT
www.kickitproductions.com
336-744-1154

and finally, their response -

Greg

Thanks for the feedback - I will pass on your comments to the founders of Weddzilla as they may like to speak with you.

Thanks!

Weddzilla Feedback Team
[email protected]

===============

Again, the topic at hand is this website that has managed to ruffle a few feathers with their tactics and domain name.

Thanks.

Thanks, Greg. :)

Did anyone else notice the webmeister's response in Greg's post above? He or she never did address why so many vendors are listed on that site without their permission or consent.

Their first response was nothing but a sales pitch. Their second reply was a brush-off. That's how I interpret it anyway.

Boy, this thread became a train wreck real quick......

The topic at hand is not what we think of so called "Bridezillas", gentlemen (and ladies).....we've all had our fair share and learned from them.......let's remain on topic. If you want to start a new thread or continue one that deals with "BrideZillas", then please feel free.

The topic of the thread deals with a Website that lists some of our names and businesses without our permission being granted, and the domain name of that website.

Allow me to share here, what I shared in e-mail conversation with the folks from that website:

Their first response to my rant about not wanting my site listed on theirs (which you can read above) -

To: [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:08:20 PM

We will remove you from the directory shortly - but just so you know,
our site Weddzilla.com is aiming to be the Anti-Bridezilla. We make
it easier for the brides to find great vendors like you - thus cutting
down on the potential stress and bridezilla inducing panic that comes
with planning a wedding.

Our site was designed by a bride for future brides...so it is no way
derogatory to brides! Hope you decide to come back at some point so
you can search our weddifieds for brides looking for your services!

Thanks!

Weddzilla Feedback Team
[email protected]

and then my long (and hopefully eye-opening email back to them)

To: "WEDDZILLA.COM" <[email protected]
Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 11:35 PM, Greg McLeese wrote:

Trust me when I say this - EVERY chat board that is frequented by vendor Professionals like myself, which I happen to be an Administrator for one, your site's name is getting very bad press.

Perhaps I should copy and paste some of the responses my fellow colleagues are posting online about your site - the fact that many of them NEVER signed up for your site, and that they are concerned (as am I) that their name will be associated with the term "Bridezilla", when in fact, we have all worked very hard over the years to elevate ourselves and our businesses above and beyond the fold. We like to call it "Setting The Bar High".

National organizations such as The American Disc Jockey Association, National Association of Mobile Entertainers, and local chapters of Merchant Associations all promote "elevating your standards".

You see, for many years, many vendors such as myself have taken a huge amount of pride in the fact that we go the extra mile for our couples. But - there are those select few "fly by night" vendors that have no regard for a Bride's special day, and that paints a very negative picture for all of us - from photographers, to videographers, to caterers, and especially toward DJ's. I can't tell you how many times I have heard from Brides that called me initially, and then balked at my price to hire another DJ for less, only to be completely dis-satisfied with what they got for that lesser price. And I hear that ALOT - Brides that tell me that they wished they had spent that extra few dollars for the peace of mind that comes with hiring a professional, instead of trying to cut corners and save a few bucks in the short term.

With this being said, I hope you will see that the name you have chosen for this site is not only a very bad idea, but is being frowned upon by would-be vendors. And that IS how you have to survive isn't it? By vendors like myself paying for what any particular site offers?

As I said in my opening line, your site's name is getting some very bad reviews from professional vendors. If I were the owner of the site, I would hastily think about changing the domain name.

Perhaps you should take a clue from the following sites, which I happen to belong to:

www.weddingwire.com
www.wedj.com
www.marthastewart.com
www.wedplan.net
www.weddepot.com
www.decidio.com

Regards,

--
Greg McLeese
Owner/Operator
KICKIT PRODUCTIONS
MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT
www.kickitproductions.com
336-744-1154

and finally, their response -

Greg

Thanks for the feedback - I will pass on your comments to the founders of Weddzilla as they may like to speak with you.

Thanks!

Weddzilla Feedback Team
[email protected]

===============

Again, the topic at hand is this website that has managed to ruffle a few feathers with their tactics and domain name.

Thanks.

I received the same response...sounds like it's not the first time that someone has contacted them.

They don't need your permission to list your service. It's a borderline legal question that comes down to the wording. They are not promoting you as a "preferred vendor" or listing you as "vendors we like" or "endorsed by" or "assoiciated with" (all of these which other paid listing sites use)...they are simply saying here are some "local vendors." And they are not receiveing any compensation from you for the listing. You are running a public business, they can prove they got the info from a public source. Yes, they must remove on request, but nothing illegal has happened. Hotels will do this by offering a listing of local restaurants and related businesses. Yes they will try to upsell better listings, but they also don't want to offer nothing in their guest guides and will pad it if they need.

And honestly, I think the domain name is a humorous twist on the whole "bridezilla" thing and I think that most young brides to be will get the joke and be curious. Besides, many bridezillas are sort of proud of it and joke about it with their friends. I like the name.

Okay. First of all, I am appalled by the lack of respect you people are giving this site! How can you just tear down a business without even knowing how the site works or the people who run it? Do you understand the concept "Weddzilla" and why that name was chosen?

I don't want to be associated with a site that has the word "Weddzilla"? Boy, we are so EGO DRIVEN it's not even funny!

Here's the skinny for those of you who don't research before you post:

I received a call back in early August from a colleague of mine informing me of an opportunity to become a launch partner for a site called "Weddzilla". They are a former bride & groom who came up with this site because of the stress and time they put into their own wedding - they wanted a solution to make it easier on a B&G to have vendors reach them. I agreed to join as a launch partner and attended their preferred vendor launch party sometime after that at the Clarendon Ballroom in northern Virginia.

It was a very nice party complete with recommended & preferred vendors only (1 from each category - florist, DJ, make-up, etc.). They had about 100 brides show up, which is more than I can say for a lot of local bridal shows I have been to in my area.

The owners are Kristen & Aaron Hall - who just got married in October through their transition. Now the site itself is designed for vendors (us DJ's too) to logon and see if brides in our area have posted a need for DJ services. We then click the ad, indicate if you're interested and bid on the lead. There's other site's like Respond & Decidio that do this as well - only the steps are different here. I like the concept, however I think it's going to take a while for them to get this to catch on.

So just to let everyone know, they are not some sleezy corporate people trying a get rich quick scheme. I have met the owners personally, and have done some work for them. I would give it a try before you knock it. I would rather see FEEDBACK FROM DJ'S WHO HAVE USED THE SITE rather than all this negetivity before trying it. Make's YOU look bad, not them.

Oh Yes, also we will be having the "owners" of Weddzilla present as part of a Q&A for the ADJA- Washington D.C. Chapter meeting which will take place in March. The topic will involved Sales Marketing regarding directories, personal websites, and other topics. If you want to attend, send me an email to [email protected] and I'll put you on the E-Vite list.