Used Pioneer DJ Controller?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
I'm looking for a used Pioneer DJ controller with USB to connect to my new DJ computer. I'm not real familiar with the Pioneer line, so I need some advice as to which models to consider, which ones to avoid, and any other issues I should be aware of? Also, if you recommend a model, could you please tell me what I might expect to pay. I know Pioneer controllers are expensive, but I was hoping to find a good used one for around $500.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My $0.02 .. the problem with used, especially electronics, is that you have no idea what is right or wrong with it.
Yes... That's true. However, there seem to be quite a few available right now that were barely used. Maybe people thought they wanted to get into DJing and discovered it's not as easy as they thought, or lost interest.
With all used gear, there's a risk. I bought my current controller new and it's a good controller, but I'm ready for more features.

What are you using now Bob?

I've been looking at this one but I'm really up in the air about it I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on something that will basically become a toy for me.

As for the used gear thing I have bought a bit in the past and I've had very good luck but my rule of thumb is if I have to pay more than 2/3 the original price I buy new

What are you using now Bob?

I've been looking at this one but I'm really up in the air about it I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on something that will basically become a toy for me.

As for the used gear thing I have bought a bit in the past and I've had very good luck but my rule of thumb is if I have to pay more than 2/3 the original price I buy new

Right now I use an American Audio VMS 4.1. It was a great controller to start with and to learn on, is reliable, and built really solid.

I've been looking at the DDJ-SR also. You can get a new one for about $600, but I've seen some used ones for about $400. I just don't know if that's a good deal or not. I've read some comments that it sometimes freezes up, and that it's a known problem. I can't risk using a piece of equipment that freezes up. It may not be true; I just don't know.

Right now I use an American Audio VMS 4.1. It was a great controller to start with and to learn on, is reliable, and built really solid.

I've been looking at the DDJ-SR also. You can get a new one for about $600, but I've seen some used ones for about $400. I just don't know if that's a good deal or not. I've read some comments that it sometimes freezes up, and that it's a known problem. I can't risk using a piece of equipment that freezes up. It may not be true; I just don't know.

I believe the freezing problem was solved with a firmware update and the new models ship problem free but I'll have to check that out thanks Bob

They run $769.00 plus tax up here in Canada and the case is close to $300 plus tax so it would be close to $1300 by the time I spring for it all that's why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for something that I don't really need

Numark DJ2GO ... $59 ...easy-peasy (and works fine for anything but scratching) :)

DJ2GO_top_weblg-624x390.png

I believe the freezing problem was solved with a firmware update and the new models ship problem free but I'll have to check that out thanks Bob

They run $769.00 plus tax up here in Canada and the case is close to $300 plus tax so it would be close to $1300 by the time I spring for it all that's why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for something that I don't really need
Which controller are you using now, Jeff? And why is Steve149 messing with us? [emoji1]

Last edited:
Not messing ... Really .. ;). I use a Denon HC4500 but have one of the little DJ2GOs as a backup ... Works with my iPads as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Not messing ... Really .. ;). I use a Denon HC4500 but have one of the little DJ2GOs as a backup ... Works with my iPads as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is what I'm using for my backup/small system now...
controlador-digital-usb-dj-6235-MLA96437038_2264-O.gif
American Audio DP2. Again, nothing special, but works just fine. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I only thought about getting a Pioneer because so many DJ's swear by them. I'd like to get one and try it out, but I'm not ready to pay $2K for one... not yet anyway:djsmug:

Which controller are you using now, Jeff? And why is Steve149 messing with us? [emoji1]

I don't use any controller I go laptop straight out to my Soundcraft EFX12

I don't use any controller I go laptop straight out to my Soundcraft EFX12
OK... Way too many knobs for me (LOL). I don't suppose that works with any contoller software, so is that why you're looking at a controller? I was looking at some of the setup pics from the early 2000's on another forum and they looked similar to your mixer... only without the laptop.

That's interesting... a Denon HC4500??? Why did you choose that controller? You're a pretty knowledgeable guy; in your opinion, how does Denon compare with Pioneer? The Denon HC4500 is pretty reasonably priced. It only comes with Traktor LE, though. I got a full version of Traktor Pro 2 with my VMS 4.1, so I'm using Traktor for now. I even use it with my DP2, but it came with Virtual DJ Lite (never tried it).

That's interesting... a Denon HC4500??? Why did you choose that controller? You're a pretty knowledgeable guy; in your opinion, how does Denon compare with Pioneer? The Denon HC4500 is pretty reasonably priced. It only comes with Traktor LE, though. I got a full version of Traktor Pro 2 with my VMS 4.1, so I'm using Traktor for now. I even use it with my DP2, but it came with Virtual DJ Lite (never tried it).

I wasn't a turntablist or scratch guy, so for me, the primary need in a controller is a big Play/Pause button, minimal cue capability and the ability to find cue points easily. I prefer a separate mixer, so don't need that ...AND .. I want 19" rack mounting to keep things consistent. There are very few controllers that meet the 19" thing these days. I used to use a Cortex unit, but support is basically gone, so I bought the Denon off one of the guys here.

I can mix and cue in software if needed, so the controller is really just for ease of use. I don't fiddle much with EQ and filters, so nearly any will work (thus the reason I have the Numark DJ2GO and a similar Behringer CMD Micro). I will probably rearchitect things this year as I continue my downsizing so I can combine DJ and Karaoke needs together. Currently, my karaoke rig is in a SKB GigRig rolling rack .. has an Allen&Heath ZED12FX mixer (which is damn quiet BTW) and a bunch of effect and vocal processing under it. Planning to take my smaller SKB slant top rig (1SKB-R104) and probably get the mating floor roller (1SKB-R1906) to have a dual use table-top and floor standing rig.

Also will pick up a smaller digital mixer to replace the A&H .. either the QSC TouchMix or one of the new rack mount Soundcraft or Behringer digital mixers. Then probably go with the Rane MP4 as the crossfader unit and some smaller controller (maybe Numark Mixtrack Edge that Ray likes on a slideout tray).

We'll see.

OK... Way too many knobs for me (LOL). I don't suppose that works with any contoller software, so is that why you're looking at a controller? I was looking at some of the setup pics from the early 2000's on another forum and they looked similar to your mixer... only without the laptop.

My main reason for getting a controller is for when I do video I use VDJ I don't like the auto cue points and I find them very hard to pull out with a mouse I figure the controller will make for smoother transitions. That being said I don't do video that often right now and I use Mixmeister Pro 6 for audio. I like it alot more than VDJ or Serato, but it can't be mapped to a controller.

That's why I say it will be pretty much a toy for me and that's why I haven't bought yet

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
My main reason for getting a controller is for when I do video I use VDJ I don't like the auto cue points and I find them very hard to pull out with a mouse I figure the controller will make for smoother transitions. That being said I don't do video that often right now and I use Mixmeister Pro 6 for audio. I like it alot more than VDJ or Serato, but it can't be mapped to a controller.

That's why I say it will be pretty much a toy for me and that's why I haven't bought yet

Well... you're going to be sick about this one, Jeff, but a DDJ-SR just went for $410 today on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121578636844?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Brand new, open box. I thought about bidding on it, but I have other priorities at the moment.