TOPS - Which would you go for?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Check out the EV Live-X series. I have two of their subs (18") and two 12" powered tops, but EV also makes a 12" passive version of this speaker and it sounds and looks great. I auditioned them next to QSC, JBL and Yamaha speakers when I bought them - these EV's were at least $100 cheaper each, but my ears couldn't tell the difference between them and their competitors.

Reactions: ittigger
The downside to the Live-X is if you touch them .. they will chip. They have the thinnest coating I've seen on a box. I moved one in a GC to see the back panel and chipped it. Haven't listened to the passive version, but the actives sounded decent enough.

Reactions: ittigger
Depends on the set up Ricky my boy! I have a wide, 9000 sf shoe-box shaped venue I play in once in a while. Since I am directly across a VERY LONG dance floor, I bring an extra top to cover the head table that is on the other side of the dance floor. This allows me to angle the left and right tops to cover the sides as well. I run the sound in mono for cocktails & dinner, then turn off the center speaker and switch to stereo for the dancing.

Italian Cultural Centre Wedding - Three Speaker Set-up - 600 pixel 96 dpi.jpg

4-RCF ART 310A, love them. With 2 subs they they can handle a lot....

Here's a little tip if you care to listen. Turn those speakers about 90 degrees inward (from where you show them) so the speaker on the left fires to the right side and the speaker on the right fires toward the left side. You could probably get away with not using the center speaker that way. YMMV.

No highs, no lows it must be BOSE :)

I do think the Bose 802 is a very good mid range speaker, but I don't think it is near as good sounding as a quality, horn loaded compression driver on the highs.
Ray.
Those Drivers in the Bose 802s are excellent in reproducing both Mids and Highs. I have used them independently as Tweeter only Boxes and as Midrange only boxes using a 3 way Ashly Electronic Crossover.
When used with the recommended Bose Controller, which is nothing more than a 2 way External Crossover, you can set them to Bi Amp as Tops (mids and highs) using additional subs, as I do. You can also set the Controller to Full Range for full Spectrum.
Two Saturdays ago I did a Backyard Jewish Celebration for about 50 people and I used it in full range with NO Subs as seen in the Photo. There was plenty of Bass. 20140913_200336.jpg

The pic is from a small restaurant. See how well they blend in without that boxy shape.20140829_183703.jpg

They look like ETs.

The downside to the Live-X is if you touch them .. they will chip. They have the thinnest coating I've seen on a box. I moved one in a GC to see the back panel and chipped it. Haven't listened to the passive version, but the actives sounded decent enough.

True. Sharpie is your friend. In addition, recoating them down the road is an option too. Like B, I have tested them with QSC, JBL and Mackie.

They look like ETs.

More like Johnny 5's.

Reactions: steve149
Can't beat EV QRX's for their sound.. Sweet sounding lightweight boxes.. but the cost is hefty lol

Can't beat EV QRX's for their sound.. Sweet sounding lightweight boxes.. but the cost is hefty lol

Yes, they were a great lineup .. right there with the JBL SRX line. Wish they made a powered version.

Reactions: Dj Nightmare
EV ZXA5 is kind of a powered version.. but it doesn't have the 3 inch horn..

Plastic box .. I like the plywood one. The 212/75 dual 12" was a sweet box.

Reactions: Dj Nightmare