Weddings Speaking of lights at a wedding...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

What is your thoughts of DJs doing lighting at weddings?

• I have lights and I think it is great.

Votes: 76 100.0%
  • I have lights but would rather not use them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have lights but am getting some to use at weddings.

• I don't have lights and am not getting them.

• Let those that just do lighting provide the lights.

• Do you want a wedding or a disco?

• I see the light.

• I am walking toward the light.

• Look at the pretty lights.

• I could take or leave lights.

• I don't care.

• Total voters
What no one has brought up (and as a production company that does lighting for weddings, it is interesting that I am bringing this up), but there is a certain level of lighting that would need to be done to make it worth taking the gig. For example 6-8 up lights is not worth it for me. The minimum package I would leave the house for starts at about $1200. Where I think DJs could be valuable is providing the package of say 6-8 up lights on a static color.

Mike

What no one has brought up (and as a production company that does lighting for weddings, it is interesting that I am bringing this up), but there is a certain level of lighting that would need to be done to make it worth taking the gig. For example 6-8 up lights is not worth it for me. The minimum package I would leave the house for starts at about $1200. Where I think DJs could be valuable is providing the package of say 6-8 up lights on a static color.

Mike

I would consider the whole up light/accent light aspect a separate entity from the DJ business. They look great and are definitely marketable, but really have nothing to do with entertainment and everything to do with ambiance.

You could basically go around to venues and sell them up lights for permanent use. Not a bad idea because eventually they are going to catch on and be the standard.

Folks, let me ask yas this: what about the bride who is planning an upscale wedding and wants a specific type of effect during her first dance?

If the client asks for some lighting effects, surely you're not gonna turn the show down. I would hope not anyway. :)

I will bring my buddy in the mix. He provides lights through me. Two separate services = 2 separate and full charges.

I feel that personally doing lighting is a weakness for me and leave it to those that can do it properly. That is why, if a client wants lights, I recommend a company that just does lights.

Tommy....although I don't agree with your theory on lighting...
I gotta send you KUDOS for knowing yourself!
I also know my weaknesses, and turn down gigs for Sweet-16's and school parties, as I am not 100% confident with brand new music.
Same idea, different weakness.

Although in my area, a basic light show is quite standard. In fact, the first company I worked for sent out ONLY a mirrorball for low-end gigs. You want MORE lights, and you'll have to pay for them.

When I started out as a DJ during my teen years doing teen dances, when DJ's were first on the scene we didn't have lights. We would plug our turntables into a Traynor guitar amp, which was plugged into two columns speakers. Each column had four 8" speakers in them. No highs, no lows, just middle.

When along the way did it change that DJ's must have lights? I guess when they took over from bands?

When I started out as a DJ during my teen years doing teen dances, when DJ's were first on the scene we didn't have lights. We would plug our turntables into a Traynor guitar amp, which was plugged into two columns speakers. Each column had four 8" speakers in them. No highs, no lows, just middle.

When along the way did it change that DJ's must have lights? I guess when they took over from bands?

I'm guess that when mobile dj's became popular (in the 70's)...they were off shoos of club dj's....make the club mobile. With that came lights....

I'm guess that when mobile dj's became popular (in the 70's)...they were off shoos of club dj's....make the club mobile. With that came lights....

yeah, but the lights weighed 300 pounds each
blew all the AC breakers as soon as you plugged them in
and didn't fit in your conversion van with the shag carpet,
cause it was already full of 13 crates of LP's.

sorry, I'm dating myself.

We provide a very basic light package that is included. When consulting with a client and we determine a more elaborate light package is needed, we simply rent whatever we need. Would never turn down an event because of lighting needs.

We've only rented lights twice in the last 3 years.

I love lighting!

We provide basic dance floor lighting with an option to upgrade for an additional $200. We also offer Uplighting & all types of Ambience lighting. I am not able to do another event on that day but I sure can come a few hours earlier to make an extra $1000! Ambience lighting is not part of offering DJ services but is an easy add-on that can really bring in some extra money. I am very excited that I offer it.

I think Lights are important...

main.php

main.php

main.php

But you have to pay for them... if you want them...

Otherwise you get this...

main.php

main.php

main.php

Look Ma' No lights

In the pictures even without lights the people seem to be having a good time.

Soundimage21, you must be in a good market if you can get an extra $1000 just for lights. I've been pushing up lighting here for a while; no bites. Where are you located?

Soundimage21, you must be in a good market if you can get an extra $1000 just for lights. I've been pushing up lighting here for a while; no bites. Where are you located?

Houston... It's packaged into the price... $2,000 with uplights, DJ, and Monogram..

A buddy of mine is charging $75 a can... I can't get that.. :(

Light that "ISH" UP!

We are located in Sacramento... Below are a few lighting pics of ours...

kp31.jpg

newblog2.jpg

le-rivage.jpg

ardenhills2.jpg

rec_dinnera2wm.jpg

Our lighting packages start at $895 for basic uplighting and go up from there. I just booked an event for November 28th. Lighting by itself was $1595.

We have never really sold lighting. They have come to us looking for it... Maybe I'm just in a good market, I'm not sure...

We are located in Sacramento... Below are a few lighting pics of ours...

Our lighting packages start at $895 for basic uplighting and go up from there. I just booked an event for November 28th. Lighting by itself was $1595.

We have never really sold lighting. They have come to us looking for it... Maybe I'm just in a good market, I'm not sure...

I wish I could get that for lighting.

I get $100 for a 8 fixture uplighting package and $50 + Gobo cost ($130) for 2 mongram lights.

WOW... that is not worth the extra time...

$100 for 10 extra minutes? seems worth it to me. If I could chage more I would right now sales are slow.

I been charging $1100 to DJ with standard lighting setup, 8 uplights and 2 Mongram Lights.

I haven't taken any pictures in a long time, with some nice pictures I might have more sales. I'm going to work on that.