Weddings Speaker placement at ceremonies?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Wow, what a sorry bunch. Is this a funeral or a wedding?
Hank! Cut the guy some slack. :triwink:There are some things over which a DJ has no control. Now, the seventh groomsman from the left with the speaker between his legs, ::yoohno: that is another matter altogether. Its not the DJ's fault. :yo1eye: It is the Photographer's! :yowigglyeyes2:Wait a minute :yowigglyeyes:.. they might be one and the same, eh? yorofl:

Mike A DJ can often be an afterthought. Go tell otherwise to some on the board who have had to setup with no covering for their equipment or speakers. Ask Bill Kexel who had his speaker overheat. You think they really care about us?

I'm sure that is an issue.....but...
1- that is why I always "make nice" with everyone I am working with, instead of demanding that it be done my way all the time
2- your point, although valid, has nothing to do with how you set up your speakers at a cerermony.

I'm sure that is an issue.....but...
1- that is why I always "make nice" with everyone I am working with, instead of demanding that it be done my way all the time
2- your point, although valid, has nothing to do with how you set up your speakers at a cerermony.
Here we go again mislabeling me! Whoever said that I demand anything? All I do is ask in a way that will give me the answer I am seeking. We both know that many are too afraid or timid to ask for fear of being labelled problematic.

What are you guys gonna do if you had to to do a ceremony on a beach? Bury the friggin speakers in the sand so they can't be seen? .................Now there's an idea. Can you demonstrate for us?

A beach umbrella over the speakers would look more natural in this setting.

Briar, I am confused here. What do you mean by the above statement? Where are the radiators/tower/stick?

With a Bose Compact, you have the option of raising the radiator up on the stick or leaving it tucked into the base.

Again, you guys belittle the DJ Craft and yourselves. Think about this for a moment, if there was a Harpist doing the ceremony, do you think said Harpist will go and hide behind a bush or tree?

And again you belittle yourself by showing your ignorance and lack of class. These seasoned professionals are trying to explain it to you and its not getting through your head so you continue to argue.
Think about this.... At a CEREMONY, you are nothing more than a sound man. You don't make announcements. Your not controlling the guests and your NOT throwing a party. You are the SOUND MAN, nothing more. You push a button to play surreal music and turn the mics on and off.
So keep your equipment as hidden as possible. While you might enjoy looking at your speakers and fondling yourself, no one else wants to see them. And most of all, no one wants to see you because YOUR JUST THE SOUND MAN.

With a Bose Compact, you have the option of raising the radiator up on the stick or leaving it tucked into the base.

And again you belittle yourself by showing your ignorance and lack of class. These seasoned professionals are trying to explain it to you and its not getting through your head so you continue to argue.
Think about this.... At a CEREMONY, you are nothing more than a sound man. You don't make announcements. Your not controlling the guests and your NOT throwing a party. You are the SOUND MAN, nothing more. You push a button to play surreal music and turn the mics on and off.
So keep your equipment as hidden as possible. While you might enjoy looking at your speakers and fondling yourself, no one else wants to see them. And most of all, no one wants to see you because YOUR JUST THE SOUND MAN.
Oh really! Seasoned you say> I have been DJing while some on here were still wearing diapers or not yet born. Hey, I don't get complaints either and I don't hide myself in a corner. Must be a regional thing! :tribiggrin:

if people cant see that speakers have to be there for a reason then they have a choice of two ways

1. have them there and deal with it....
or
2. have some and photoshop them out... or just basicly dont have any!!

problem solved for them and you!

if people cant see that speakers have to be there for a reason then they have a choice of two ways

1. have them there and deal with it....
or
2. have some and photoshop them out... or just basicly dont have any!!

problem solved for them and you!

Or...You have a bride or a venue mgr. that requests that you move them.
In that case, are you gonna say no?

Or...You have a bride or a venue mgr. that requests that you move them.
In that case, are you gonna say no?
I don't think I'll ever have that problem unless I DID NOT DO a site visit. However, I will play along....it will depend on why they want me to move it, then I will find an appropriate place.

I don't think I'll ever have that problem unless I DID NOT DO a site visit. However, I will play along....it will depend on why they want me to move it, then I will find an appropriate place.

This actually happened. Even though I did a site visit, at the event the venue mgr. decided she wanted me to move my speakers off the tripods & out of view. I played along.

This actually happened. Even though I did a site visit, at the event the venue mgr. decided she wanted me to move my speakers off the tripods & out of view. I played along.
If you did a site visit and everything was settled with YOUR client about the setup, I would think the Venue Mgr. who is NOT your Client and who did not hire you was out of place to dictate to you. Now if he was your client, then that is a different matter.
I mean come on, even I would have the common sense to set up where it would not negatively affect aesthetics or safety. I am not trying to be bull headed here. What would you do if the Venue Manager told you he did not like Hip Hop and did not want to hear it?????????????

thats why Managers will have to learn its either has to be there or dont have them at all

I wont start moving stuff just to justify "oh its looks ugly and dont want it in a shot"
well tough you either dont shoot the shot with the speaker, photoshop it out or dont have a speaker period!!!....

never had a problem since!

thats why Managers will have to learn its either has to be there or dont have them at all

I wont start moving stuff just to justify "oh its looks ugly and dont want it in a shot"
well tough you either dont shoot the shot with the speaker, photoshop it out or dont have a speaker period!!!....

never had a problem since!
You will get no argument from me about that statement.

Was the event manager there during the site visit? I'm guessing not.

How often does your client get married? I'm guessing not too often.

How often does an event manager work a wedding? I'm guessing very often.

My point is, the event manager can have the experience to know that a DJ does not need to set up in a manner that causes him or his gear to be in view of the guests or in the photos.

If live musicians can accomplish that, why can't a DJ?

A bride, at a site visit, might not be thinking of how stuff will look in the photos. Did you mention to her that your gear will be in the photos? I'm guessing not.

Was the event manager there during the site visit? I'm guessing not.

How often does your client get married? I'm guessing not too often.

How often does an event manager work a wedding? I'm guessing very often.

My point is, the event manager can have the experience to know that a DJ does not need to set up in a manner that causes him or his gear to be in view of the guests or in the photos.

If live musicians can accomplish that, why can't a DJ?

A bride, at a site visit, might not be thinking of how stuff will look in the photos. Did you mention to her that your gear will be in the photos? I'm guessing not.
Dave, even though your post was not directed to me, I will say this...........It is part of the DJs responsibility to take into consideration the big picture. Meaning the aesthetics, the photographer, safety, sound/gear placement (You never know who will be sitting next to your speakers) etc. I have a feeling that some of you think that my only concern is what I want. That is the farthest from the truth. What I would not do is have someone else dictate to me my job. Gear placement is my domain and yes, compromises can be made.
Like Dennis said, if someone hires a DJ they should know that there will be speakers providing sound. It is in their best interests to work with the DJ to arrange for proper placement of the sound system. Dictating to a DJ what to do is cutting oneself short. The DJ should be articulate enough to negotiate with the Client & Venue Manager/Wedding Coordinator an acceptable balance of all aspects of the event that could impact a stellar performance. What is so hard about that? If some view that as being pushy then all I have to say is go right ahead and be available to be pushed by others. Negotiating does not have to a battle or argument. It is something that when properly done will bring about a win win situation for everyone.

thats why it all has to be done at the start NOT while its going on

your not going to be running around with speakers every 5mins because its in a shot

thats also where a PHOTOGRAPHER has to work with all this as well

dont like it DONT HAVE THE SHOTS OR HAVE SPEAKERS

managers are idiots
end of discussion!