Skrims For Your Legs Only!.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
One of the reasons I place my Subs in front of the Speaker tops Stands is to create an obstacle so that people would not trip over the legs. Sometimes I would like to center the subs in front of my booth but I only do so when I have full control of the wall behind me. Of course when I use Double Subs per side I do not need to center the subs. The stands fit nicely behind them. One leg in between the subs and the other two legs just about flush with the backs of the subs.
My question is for those who buy Skrims. Is there a place that sells the skrims that cover ONLY the Tripod/Speaker Stands Legs? I hate the look of the ones that go all the way up to the top at the bottom of the speakers. That look is ugly to me. If the Legs are covered then that can create a visible obstacle which is good!

So who sells these types of Skrims in Stretch material/Spandex?

Last edited:
DJ Skirts sold 'em back in the day. There's gotta be a supplier somewhere that still has them.

Or you could get a seamstress to make a custom set. That way, you don't have to settle for colors and materials available from retail. Go to a fabric store and choose the material(s) you want. Take one of your stands along and leave it for the seamstress to work with. She will be able to tell you how many yards of material you need.

There's really no limit to designs and patterns if you get 'em custom made. You can get sparkle trim to go around the edges, etc. We had our table cover custom made, real black velvet with red and silver reflective trim.

DJ Skirts sold 'em back in the day. There's gotta be a supplier somewhere that still has them.

Or you could get a seamstress to make a custom set. That way, you don't have to settle for colors and materials available from retail. Go to a fabric store and choose the material(s) you want. Take one of your stands along and leave it for the seamstress to work with. She will be able to tell you how many yards of material you need.

There's really no limit to designs and patterns if you get 'em custom made. You can get sparkle trim to go around the edges, etc. We had our table cover custom made, real black velvet with red and silver reflective trim.
My GF sews but she takes forever to do my projects. She made a Skirt for my Facade for Formal Events and everyone who sees it loves it. However I asked her to make large Box Pleats and she made a combo of Medium Box Pleats on top merging into Accordion on bottom. She did not do exactly like I asked. LOL I am afraid what she will do this time for Skrims! Thanks for the tip though. Sometimes DIY can be good sometimes just as expensive when you take into consideration research time and shopping expense such as Petrol. I will look into your tip though because it would be nice to be different with Custom made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Wright
I have scrims for my legs ... I call them "pants" ...

You can use the bottom part of the Ultimate Support USDJ-PSB:
That just looks ugly. If you're going to cover the legs make sure the scrim is tight and not wrinkled.

That just looks ugly. If you're going to cover the legs make sure the scrim is tight and not wrinkled.

I'm sure they could have put the seam in the backs and tightened things .. at least I hope you can. Only leg cover I could find.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ SVO
But, Canute...it will do the job. May not look as tight and triangular shape as the one Steve149 referenced. There are many possibilities for color coding one's skirts with the Bride's choice of wedding color. I would consider such.

But, Canute...it will do the job. May not look as tight and triangular shape as the one Steve149 referenced. There are many possibilities for color coding one's skirts with the Bride's choice of wedding color. I would consider such.
If I decide to use Skirts to Hide the Tripods Legs (Only when I am clustering the Subs), I can guarantee you that there would be no color coding. They will be black and remain black. I want them to be seen as an obstacle so people won't run into them or trip over them. This is why they make Orange and Bright Yellow Electrical Cords, for safety. My Gear is not available for Decorating. It blends in enough as it is. I am not going to indulge any Client in that nonsense,
In the mid 80s to early 90s I had to Silk Plants that I used to put inside the tripods legs to hide them and they did a wonderful job. I can't remember why I even stopped using them. Those looked nice as you barely saw the legs just the Fake Plant.

Reactions: Andy A
In the mid 80s to early 90s I had to Silk Plants that I used to put inside the tripods legs to hide them and they did a wonderful job. I can't remember why I even stopped using them. Those looked nice as you barely saw the legs just the Fake Plant.

Now that is an elegant idea! I did that recently to hide the black milk crate and Neeva 100 monogram projector at a wedding. The unit was in front of a fountain. Used the plants to hide the unit and also deter anyone from stepping into the unit. The B&G's Sweetheart table was about 5 feet in front of the unit so it also helped hide the Neeva.

With regard to the other portion of your quote, to each their own desires. :)

We set the dual 15 boxes inside the tripod legs. The legs were hidden and nobody was gonna stumble over 'em. If we were set up on a stage we didn't even need stands ~ set the mid-tops on the dual 15s.

I still think a pro seamstress is your best bet. There's got to be some local, try dry cleaning stores, they usually have one working part time. Sure, it's gonna cost you... but it's a one time expense and tax deductible.

If I decide to use Skirts to Hide the Tripods Legs (Only when I am clustering the Subs), I can guarantee you that there would be no color coding. They will be black and remain black. I want them to be seen as an obstacle so people won't run into them or trip over them. This is why they make Orange and Bright Yellow Electrical Cords, for safety. My Gear is not available for Decorating. It blends in enough as it is. I am not going to indulge any Client in that nonsense,

To you it's nonsense - to your customers, it may not be nonsense. Something black in the dark will not be seen as an obstacle (and may not even be seen) .. which is exactly why they make bright color cords.

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
Try STRETCHYSCREENS.com. They have spandex leg covers in black or white, plus they just added options for larger lighting stands. I have been using them for years. Too bad, I think you just missed out on their 15% off sale.

lol... It has been a crazy year. Cons: too many visits for family and friends to the hospital or funeral home. Pros: Launched a specialty event production company, got elected to Vice President of the Chicagoland Chapter of the American Disc Jockey Association, biggest year for shows yet. It has been an interesting transition away from radio broadcasting, and I am throwing myself headlong into event planning and production. Looking forward to 2015. I will be checking in more often to ODJT. :)