Setting Goals - Business or Non-Business

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
K

Kirby Ball

I heard this many years ago, but "re-heard" it today and thought I'd share it with y'all...

5 Guidelines for Setting Goals

1.) Be Specific

2.) Make sure your goals are measurable.

3.) Make them your goals, not goals that someone else has set for you.

4.) Put a time limit in place.

5.) Put your goals in writing.

as much as goals and aims are good,my Mom always say "make hay while the sun shines",i do whatever i can,no limits(as long as i have the health and strength).we have 12 months in a year,if you make your goal in 6 months will you take a break or stop?? i work according to how i feel.

You can never go wrong by setting goals Kirby. I have read 5 books about goal setting in the last 6 months. The most successful and wealthy people in the world all have great goal setting in common.
Most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do their lives. Without a goal, how do you know if you have achieved anything?

A couple more steps Kirb, write them down, make sure you tell other people, this holds you accountable. And review often. You need to track your progress to make sure you are heading in the right direction.

Man, I could go on all day with this but I don't want to bore you guys. Hopefully my blog will be up by tomorrow and next week i'll do a segment on goal setting.

young...

as much as goals and aims are good,my Mom always say "make hay while the sun shines",i do whatever i can,no limits(as long as i have the health and strength).we have 12 months in a year,if you make your goal in 6 months will you take a break or stop?? i work according to how i feel.

That's commonly called exceeding your goals

Also remember to share your goals with others. It will reinforce your commitment on the follow through.

You can never go wrong by setting goals Kirby. I have read 5 books about goal setting in the last 6 months. The most successful and wealthy people in the world all have great goal setting in common.
Most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do their lives. Without a goal, how do you know if you have achieved anything?

A couple more steps Kirb, write them down, make sure you tell other people, this holds you accountable. And review often. You need to track your progress to make sure you are heading in the right direction.

Man, I could go on all day with this but I don't want to bore you guys. Hopefully my blog will be up by tomorrow and next week i'll do a segment on goal setting.

young...

Wanna share the titles of those books? I'm on a reading binge and I need more material to read... :) Help me, before I start reading Romance Novels....:sqlaugh::sqwink:

Brian Tracy - Eat That Frog and Goals, Zig Ziglar on Goals, Getting things Done by David Allen (ok, it's more of a task management book). Plus numerous ebooks.

young...

I totally agree with "make hay while the sun shines". That still does not null the importance of goals. Making hay is more about the importance of doing the most advantageous things at the right times, regardless of how you feel. You might feel like horseback riding on a nice sunny day, but you'll be much better of taking advantage of the sun to get the hay bailed.

If you set a goal for 12 months and it looks like you are going to make it in 6, you adjust your goal.

The reason you write down goals and have a time limit is that you can always check your progress. If you find the goal is not going to be reached, you need to evaluate to determine if it was truly unrealistic and needs to be adjusted, or what else can be done to meet that goal.

If you are ahead of schedule, then perhaps the goal was too low and needs to be set higher so you don't slow down. Or the goal get accomplished early and you can move on to other things.

Also, there is nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with a break if you reach a goal ahead of schedule.

A good example of goal setting is needing to drive across county and wanting to get there in 5 days. Sure you can say NO LIMITS, i am just going to keep driving until I get tired. Or, you can map it out, seeing how much you need to drive each day to meet that goal and have a better understanding of if that goal is doable...or maybe find you can get it done sooner. On the way, you can make decisions on where to stop, how long to stop and rest all based on your goals and progress.

The whole benefit of goals is to help us accomplish more. We all have 24 hours in a day. Some accomplish amazing things with the time they have and others just can't seem to find the time to get anything done.

Most people don't aim too high and miss most people aim too low and hit - Les Brown

I like Stephen Covey's analogy on goals. Begin with the end in mind. You don't even have to know all the steps to achieve your goal, just the next one. If you drive across the US, you can't see the whole way. You know that LA is a long way from New York but you can only see a mile or so in front of you. After each mile though, you can see the next one, and the next. Sometimes you will have to make a detour or an adjustment in the plan but if you know where you are going, you will get there.

young...

Another great Zig quote about reading books on goals and being positive. He said a women came up to him and said that his stuff was very good. It got her motivated. She said the problem is that it never lasted. She would read it and be motivated and then the motivation would quickly go away once she was done reading.

He replied, "A shower doesn't last either. That's why I take one once a day."

Another great book, "The greatest salesman in the world"- Og Mandino. Short, small, but incredible book.

Agreed Scott, anything by Ziglar, Mandino, Brian Tracy, Jack Canfield,Bob Proctor, Gary Ryan Blair, or my personal favourites Robin Sharma and Tony Robbins will be good learning material. Tony Robbins has his RPM program that is all about setting goals and then breaking them down in order to reach them. His approach is more of a top down method and differs from the standard bottom up pyramid but it is effective.

I just signed up for a Zig Ziglar goals webinar the other day. Darren Hardy, the editor of Success magazine, has his "designing your best 10 years" goal setting group under way now too. There are so many tools out there now.

young...