Interactive DJs Rhode Island Novelty

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Guys:

There is no spamming conspiracy going on. None of the proposed reasons are likely to be why you received the mailing.

Business lead lists are easily available from places like: http://www.infousa.com. You can purchase mailing lists for any SIC category you like including "DJs". I'm not saying that your name wasn't sold/shared through a third party, but it is less likely.

PS: Assertion number 2 and 3 from Proformance are just not likely. I advertise on half a dozen DJ websites and they don't just hand out their email/mailing lists. As far as magazines giving out their list of subscribers...uh, no. DJ Times / Mobile Beat keep that information pretty close to the vest. I'm also an advertiser in those magazines and I can tell you, they would never just hand that information out and likely wouldn't sell it.

The DJ Expo mailing list is freely available in the show magazine.

Reactions: 1 person
No one is claiming it's a "conspiracy" - it's just a simple fact of life that the reason ANY business asks you for your contact information is because marketing is priority #1.

Despite all the "how did they get my address" posts, RINCO is a good company, we provide hats and maracas as standard props and I don't like working without them. I have been a customer for at least a decade. Their customer service is very good, their products are decent, quality varies. Sherman has better quality but the prices at RINCO cannot be beat, if they can please fill me in. They also ship fast, I can order on Tuesday and get my stuff in time for a Friday party, I'm in Pennsylvania.

On the topic of their mailing lists, if you're not getting a ton of DJ related sales material and/or emails then you're probably not promoting your business properly, it just goes with the territory, be proud that you get the catalogs, it means you're established.

Despite all the "how did they get my address" posts, RINCO is a good company, we provide hats and maracas as standard props and I don't like working without them. I can order on Tuesday and get my stuff in time for a Friday party, I'm in Pennsylvania.

On the topic of their mailing lists, if you're not getting a ton of DJ related sales material and/or emails then you're probably not promoting your business properly, it just goes with the territory, be proud that you get the catalogs, it means you're established.

very true.
it's nice to know that SOMEONE has heard of you.

as for the "STUFF"
Kudos to those of you who do....but I have never been able to appreciate novelties and toys at a wedding or party.
I had ONE bride request stuff, I spent 3 hours blowing up all the toys,
and it took me a year and a half to get rid of all of them all...since very few people ever take the darn things home.

Funny thing is....I tend to cross the line between FUNNY and CHEESEY...
but cheesey blow up guitars just irritate the crap outta me

BTW
where are you in NE Pennsylvania?
(I'm in the Lehigh Valley: Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton)

Close to the Wilkes Barre area, travel to the Poconos, Lackawanna and Luzerne counties mostly. Funny, I've had the opposite, we used to go all out with props and I agree, too many "toys" can junk up a party, but people always tended to walk off with stuff, even stuff that wasn't supposed to be passed around, tambourines, real maracas, and such that weren't intended for the guests.

I think there's a place for such props, if done properly it can be an effective add-on, I've given up on the blow-up items, now just keep it simple with the maracas and beachcombers, excluded if they request not to bring them. The other items I've had success with are lite-up necklaces, pass them out to the first people to hit the dance floor, and yes it can be time consuming to open the items, I fill a beachcomber hat with all the light ups on and give them to a Flower Girl to pass out, same with the maracas.

I even got to the point of buying a pump for the blow-ups, no more of that, live and learn, now that stuff only comes out by special request, theme parties, etc.

One thing I will say about props is that they have added a bit of a theatrical feel to some parties, overall I say thumbs up to props but only when used properly and not to the point of turning the hall into a Toys'R'Us store.

I purchase all of my inflatable instruments from them in case lots, because they are much less expensive than all of the other party supply vendors.
About 6 weeks ago I had an issue with a case of their 42" guitars. 59 out of 144 were defective. The customer service person told me that they would not accept a return because my order was over 30 days old. I posted my experience on a few other DJ boards. Within a week, one of the DJs had contacted Kyle Duffney, RI Novelty's Operations Manager. I called Kyle and explained the situation and he apologized profusely, stating that their 30 day return policy should not apply to DJs because they tend to purchase enough for quarterly. bi-annual, and annual demand. Right off, he said there would be no need to return the defectives. He offered me credit for them and my shipping on the order.
I needed to order some microphones, so before I hung up I asked to place an order. He asked what it was, and then he told me not to worry about paying for it. This was way over and beyond what I expected to make things right. Kyle told me he is available to speak to any and all DJs if they have any concerns with their product or service.
As far as pricing goes, their case pricing is about 60% of their price per dozen. If you give away inflatables at many of your parties, the cost savings for the long run is definitely worthwhile.

Got one here also

Guys:

There is no spamming conspiracy going on. None of the proposed reasons are likely to be why you received the mailing.

Business lead lists are easily available from places like: http://www.infousa.com. You can purchase mailing lists for any SIC category you like including "DJs". I'm not saying that your name wasn't sold/shared through a third party, but it is less likely.

PS: Assertion number 2 and 3 from Proformance are just not likely. I advertise on half a dozen DJ websites and they don't just hand out their email/mailing lists. As far as magazines giving out their list of subscribers...uh, no. DJ Times / Mobile Beat keep that information pretty close to the vest. I'm also an advertiser in those magazines and I can tell you, they would never just hand that information out and likely wouldn't sell it.

The DJ Expo mailing list is freely available in the show magazine.

I beg to differ. The "selling" of a magazine subscriber list is not simply a transaction where they hand over a list of names. That would be a one time deal and not very lucrative. Instead, they use third party brokers who handle the mailings and the advertiser pays for each mailing sent to the list.

You can track how your name is traded by deliberately misspelling it or using a unique middle initial whenever you sign up for an expo, magazine, website, or record pool. This makes it pretty easy to see how many times your name has been traded or distributed and by whom.

Your name will also end up on lists by virtue of any public records - business registrations, phone listings, web directories, and even your own advertising.

The Secretary of State in each U.S. state publishes a monthly list of all new corporate and trust registrations within the state.

Last edited:
RI Novelty is a good company that's been around a while. Not too long ago, they moved out of Rhode Island, though, and are in Fall River MA, which is a bit further from me. Been using Party City, for a lot of stuff lately.