Remote control for PC

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nov 12, 2007
Niagara Falls Canada
Does anyonbe have experience with a reliable remote controller to play media files while not standing at your computer. Someone told me of SnapSteam Firefly which used radio fequencies and then another suggested using a bluetooth device as it would be much more reliable. Anyone got any good info?

Thanks, Dean
Niagara Premier DJ's

I've used an X10 mouseRemote control in the past. A modified version of that remote is what DJPower uses with their systems. It's RF as well. Gets about 100 feet of range.

I've recently been toying with using my ipod touch for control using eventphone/eventghost over wifi network, or snatch server. I'd prefer to use the evenghost solution, as it makes it easy to control my software using eventghost as the interface between the ipod and OtsDJ, but the user gui is not configurable as it is with snatch server. With Snatch however, it has a very configurable user interface, but limited control interface. If only the 2 would combine, it would be an excellent solution.

I usually have a router connected at my gigs to have wireless netwrok between my systems, and this would allow me 200-250 ft range with my ipod as a remote. Of course range is not as much an object with networked systems, as you can place access points at varying locations to extend the range.

As the mouseRemote is a serial port interface, and that interface has gone the way of the dinosuar, I feel it's time to revisit remote control. It still works through a serial 2 USB converter, but there is much room for improvement and configurability.

With the ipod as remote, I won't be limited to the buttons on the mouseremote, and would be able to configure it for light control as well.

I have a little remote control program for Rockit :)

Rockit has a built in TCP communications server, so you can control it from anywhere across the net, just by knowing its IP address (no 3rd party software needed). I haven't had time to port it to the iPhone/iTouch yet...

I'll get there eventually -- although I'm not real happy about having to sell/distribute it through their app store...

Id love to have a wireless remote to run Rockit. I have a USB bluetooth dongle for my cell phone, but not sure if that would work or not. Where can I purchase one of these?

Where can I purchase one of these?

You can't buy one, because I don't sell one.

You can write yer own though :)

Rockit's external client specs are published in the Operations Manual (Appendix B). Anybody can write a program to control Rockit, send it requests, blah, blah.

For example, this is Rockit's Comm Server (you'll find it on the menu's on most skins):

comm1.jpg

And this is my little test program, that shows a few things it can do:

comm2.jpg

Any platform that can use TCP/IP sockets, can control Rockit fully. You can send it requests, do searches, send text messages, etc. :)

Ok. So, I could use my cell phone as long as its hooked up to my USB bluetooth to control it, and, as long as I can program it?

As long as yer platform (phone, device, etc.), can talk to the internet/local net -- yes, you should be able to make an app to control Rockit.

I use mine (remote) from my computer in my party room, but Rockit is running on another computer on the other side of the house. That computer is attached to wireless EOS speaker systems, that are in various rooms.

So, anywhere I have a computer, I can control what Rockit is doing, wherever it may be running, and mix sound throughout the house :)

If you had Rockit running on your computer wherever you are now, and could give me an IP address (static address) -- I can control it from where I sit.

As long as yer platform (phone, device, etc.), can talk to the internet/local net -- yes, you should be able to make an app to control Rockit.

I use mine (remote) from my computer in my party room, but Rockit is running on another computer on the other side of the house. That computer is attached to wireless EOS speaker systems, that are in various rooms.

So, anywhere I have a computer, I can control what Rockit is doing, wherever it may be running, and mix sound throughout the house :)

If you had Rockit running on your computer wherever you are now, and could give me an IP address (static address) -- I can control it from where I sit.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks Rick.

Mike