RCF Evox8 & sub

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

prodjay

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 13, 2009
Bossier, Louisiana
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post but here we go.

I have a chance to get the Evox 8 system but I am a little afraid it will not have enough bass for some events /buildings. I do have an Yorkville ls801 that I could add as needed.

Now for my questions. will adding a 18" sub to the Evox system have any kind of bad effect on the sound?

Question #2 Is any processing needed for the Evox system?

The sub on the EVOX is a 12" .. you might gain some benefit with a LS801 .. would either need to go to the sub first and then high-pass at maybe 80-90Hz to the EVOX .. or .. use a DriveRack.

The little listening I have done has the EVOX sub close to my Yamaha DXS12 subs .. neither will be in the same ballpark as the LS801.

As to processing .. haven't had a room to wring mine out yet. Was hoping to set them in the garage side-by-side with my DXS12/JBL PRX combo and play out to my driveway .. snow just about every day has made that impossible to date (plus I was away for the past week) so "hopefully" soon. They may need some EQing of the bass levels, as there is no control to balance the upper section to the bass unit. Maybe it's perfectly balanced .. probably not.

Last edited:
Prodjay--You and I are both looking at the same setup. I have an LS801PB and DriveRackPA. Waiting for Steve M's opinion after he has had an opportunity to ring out his system. Is there anyone out there lurking about who has hands-on experience with the EVOX 8, if so please give us your observations.

I just ordered 4 Evox 8's. I will let you know my feelings once I get them....PITA part is the bags are on backorder for a couple of months.

Now don't jump on me about 120 degree blah blah blah, I know about comb filtering & lobbing. I am going to use 2 for most events, sometimes one will go outside for ceremony, of if there is a deck/patio where the smokers go, and one for if cocktails and/or the bar are in a separate room. Now I do plan to use all 4 for a prom I have in May. I am planning on using separate subs (haven't decided if they are going to be 905AS, 908AS, 705AS, or 718AS) and cross them over at 100Hz, then let the Evox handle 100Hz and up. I am thinking of putting the Evox subs coupled in pairs. Then fly the tops off the truss with one stacked over the other upside down so the directional speaker on the top one, doesn't fire into the lower one.

To make the Evox 16 :)

Attachments

• Evox8x2.jpg
    Evox8x2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 27
Welcome DJStevieRay. Obviously you have been lurking about for awhile. Glad you stepped forward out of the shadows.
Thank for the EVOX 16 concept. Look forward to your comments about how they sound in a standard banquet venue. Steve tried to demo (see prior postings of his) but hasn't been able to ringout the system just yet.

Your thoughts regarding a pair of EVOX 8's and Yorkville LS801P subwoofer?

I would guess it's the same as what I am thinking about. Balancing the system will be key. What tops do you run now with your Yorkie.

NX750B Yorkville 2-way 15", but I also have RCF ART200A (12") and ART 800A 15" subs. I had considered keeping the RCF subs and tops and ridding myself of the Yorkville system (tops and single LS801P). Changed my mind after an event in January where the RCF system was a bit under powered for the size room. The subs were just fine but the tops kept clipping and shutting back when played too loud. The fact that those subs weigh 92 lbs. each (I'm not getting any younger) were a bit difficult for me to move around by this aging body. LOL! So, might keep the Yorkville LS801P (18" sub, 1500 watts) and run it with the EVOX 8 pair.

OK ... got the 2 sets hooked up today and then spent the remaining time I had chasing down a high frequency pitch in one of the speakers. Changed cables, didn't help. Pulled out the USB cable from the laptop and noise went away. Changed the USB cable .. no difference. Bypassed the USB soundcard in the mixer with a Presonus AudioBox .. same noise ....

Turned out to be the laptop power supply. Not sure if it's failing or what, but changing it with another solved the problem. No idea how that issue could affect a single speaker (one of the JBLs).

Was hoping to wring them out today, but I have to take off for a birthday dinner for my wife in a few, so hopefully tomorrow.

Here's the setup...

IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0134.JPG

I'll try to get some video .. it'll be a first for me .. :)

I wish I still had some of my larger mixing consoles .. especially the Presonus I had .. it would make comparing 2 systems easier since I could have mapped a pair of auxes to each speaker and controlled the settings remotely. I have the Allen&Heath connected and only have 2 manually controllable aux sends. I could hook up the Rane MP25 and use the main outs along with zone or booth outs, but I'm going to just turn 1 set of speakers on and then the other. They're wired in parallel right now. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I will say in setting up, the weight of the EVOX is SOOOOO nice. The Yamaha subs are light, but the EVOX is like half the weight and not a lot more than the JBL PRX612 tops, which are fairly lightweight.

You need to tidy up those wires and spread the speakers out a tad...:)
Are you channeling Canute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Is the bottom of the top speaker angled down?
The bottom 2 speakers in each EVOX are angled downtown cover the nearest area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger