Radio atation DJ's not willing to support Friday's.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I took a few pictures last night at the place I played at. This is Bravos Cafe. I'm there playing and all together not including us 2 DJ's and the staff 5 people showed up. One of them was another DJ that plays on the internet radio station that I play on. After some time he left but he stayed a good while. So things got shut down early.

Not sure exactly what time we shut down but I know it early as this place can stay open till 2:30. The other DJ my friend complimented me on my playing saying I did my thing. I finally get to find out what the real problem is and this DJ has a right to be pissed off.

He has been getting the DJ's who play on the radio station to come there and play on Friday. This Friday just happen to be my turn. It's free to get in. These DJ's will show up on the night they are to play. So he gets them there to play to give them more exposure. He looks for them to bring some people in the night they play. Just some friends and family that you know. It doesn't have to be a big mob but just some people. They come there that night but won't come back again on another night just to show the brother some love and support since it cost us nothing to play on the radio show. The chief owner takes care of that bill.

I get him being upset. If he's got you playing on the radio station and then has you to come in this place to play, what's wrong with showing up sometimes to show that you care about more then just your ego? He's using his own gear himself and all most have to do is bring in their music and just play. The setup he used is dynamite. It's super top of the line. 2 DVJ's, 2 yorville subs with 2 JBL tops. Just a super sounding system that can shake the walls. What's wrong with networking with each other? Done here are some of the pictures.

I wouldn't show up either. I would be out working a PAID gig.

So 5 people showed up? Where was the people you were supposed to bring? You do know this is an internet radio station that no one listens to correct?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Just testing to see about uploading pictures.
Having trouble with uploading pictures. It doesn't tell if the files are too big or what. It will upload to 100% and then it won't show up on the post. Why is this happening? Jimmy of course if you have a gig to do you do that. This is about when you don't have a gig. Why not show up since you don't have to pay the cost to be on the radio station? Also where is the love? Can't we show it sometimes?

Mix .. what benefit do you get out of doing these free radio gigs for someone else? Has he shown you his listener statistics to see how many people are connecting? Does he advertise the station in places to get you more exposure? Do you get to advertise your upcoming dates on the radio? Or is this an unpaid hobby (which is ok)?

I would think showing up to do a live performance with 5 people may hurt your future business instead of helping it.

Mix,
The real problem is that the internet radio station doesn't have enough (local) listeners to get a crowd.
Even with the power of our commercial stations, social media, and online streaming...we don't always get a big crowd for every event we promote!

I love networking. Networking is a great tool to further your business.

But I don't network in my prime earning times. I go to networking events in the mornings or at lunches.

I also don't network at bars or clubs.

Any evening I'm not working, I like to be home with my family or out with family and friends.

I don't ask other djs to come to my events. I expect them to be working or enjoying their time off.

If another dj gets upset because I don't come to his event, he's being extremely selfish. Not someone I'd worry about.

Last edited:
I wouldn't show up either. I would be out working a PAID gig.

So 5 people showed up? Where was the people you were supposed to bring? You do know this is an internet radio station that no one listens to correct?
Jimmy here is some pictures to show you what this place looks like and why it's hard to get people to come to this place. Ask yourself this question after seeing these pictures. Would you want to come to a place that looked like that to party? I have a lady I just started talking to and I told her about the place. She told me she has been there before. She said the outside looks nice but the inside looks like a hole in the wall. That was her exact words.

I even heard that someone paid this owner $800.00 to have an event there in the back room. There is no way in hell I would spend that kind of money to have an event there. I could find a VFW Hall that looks much better for that price.

Attachments

• BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 092.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 092.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 094.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 094.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 095.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 095.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 096.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 096.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 097.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 097.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 098.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 098.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 099.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 099.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 100.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 100.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 101.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 101.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 102.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 102.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 103.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 103.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 104.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 104.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 105.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 105.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 106.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 106.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 107.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 107.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 108.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 108.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 109.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 109.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 110.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 110.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 111.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 111.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 113.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 113.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 5
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 114.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 114.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 4
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 115.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 115.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 4
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 116.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 116.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 4
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 117.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 117.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 4
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 118.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 118.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 4
  • BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 119.JPG
    BRAVOS STUPID PLACE UGLY 119.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 4
Mix .. avoid these places in the first place. as they say, it takes money to make money. Apparently the owners of the places (or many of them) you go to aren't interested in that tradeoff. They want payback on what they have and that might mean it's not the right place for you to make money.

Look for the nicer places. Do a few low paying gigs at a nice coffee shop to build up a client base .. then start looking for better restaurants and cafes. You seem to go blind into many of these places and comment after the fact .. start deciding up front that it won't be worth your time.

It's not the money .. free sometimes is fine .. but there should always be a goal of bettering yourself or building your base.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
Mix .. avoid these places in the first place. as they say, it takes money to make money. Apparently the owners of the places (or many of them) you go to aren't interested in that tradeoff. They want payback on what they have and that might mean it's not the right place for you to make money.

Look for the nicer places. Do a few low paying gigs at a nice coffee shop to build up a client base .. then start looking for better restaurants and cafes. You seem to go blind into many of these places and comment after the fact .. start deciding up front that it won't be worth your time.

It's not the money .. free sometimes is fine .. but there should always be a goal of bettering yourself or building your base.
Steve I said it up front. I was there for the promoting of the online radio station and that's where the the co owner of the radio station does these parties.

Steve I said it up front. I was there for the promoting of the online radio station and that's where the the co owner of the radio station does these parties.

But you don't get paid for doing that ... so unless it is building you a base that come to your paid events, it would seem that you'd be better served doing your own casting and promoting your own network .. it's really pretty simple and very cheap.