Question for you guys (and gals)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

EERobert

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 11, 2013
Hays, Kansas, United States
I've been hesitant to post about this as a) it happened last night and b) I'm both proud of what I did but also a little embarrassed. The few non-professionals I've talked to about this have said what I did was the right thing, but I'm still...not sure I handled it in the most professional manner.

This is going to be a somewhat detailed post, for one isolated incident but I want to lay down the groundwork. I dj for a company as a weekend job, a Friday or Saturday night here or there. I'm also a full time student and I work in a kitchen as a cook. This past week one of my co-workers at the restaurant i work at just up and quit, normally I take every saturday off so I can focus on my dance, but due to these circumstances, I agreed to work breakfast and lunch (6am to 1pm) then run home, shower change, gather up my gear and head to the venue for a 4pm start time and run the wedding reception from 4-11. Friday night, I couldn't go to sleep, I ended up tossing and turning all night and got 2, maybe 3 hours of sleep total. Work my shift, run home, change, etc, and move to the dance. No problem.

Here's where things get interesting. The wedding party arrives in a limo and right behind them is a 15 seat van with a few younger members of the wedding party (a couple of the bridesmaids were under 18 I believe, along with the ring bearers and flower girls). Van is being driven by the mother of the groom and the reception is being held at a VFW. MoG asks, in the parking lot, if the bar section of the VFW is going to be open. Bride says, "yeah like I told you, they can't close that part down, it's part of their business. MoG throws a fit, gets her underage kids and her husband and they leave. Don't even go to the reception. Groom is upset, bride is upset, mother of the bride (who told me she was paying for everything for her onlyer) is upset. I promise, I'll make it a great night.

We get things rolling and other then an OCD contfreeak Matron of Honor (her words to me) who wanted to know every aspect of the evenings itinerary, first part goes off without a hitch. Dance begins, not quite enough room for a proper Grand March, but we make it work, go into their first dance, and the father/daughter dance. I figured we'd cut the Mother son dance and B/G agree with me. But then during the F/D dance said OCD MoH informs me that the groom is going to dance with his grandmother (that's right g'ma came to the reception but super critical, very religious mom and dad wouldn't). The song we had picked out was "A Mother's Song" by T Carter as the MoG wanted something "clean" and preferably country. I suggested that song, they agreed. I asked "should I play the same song" knowing it was a little weird situation, but MoH said "sure" so I went with it and they seemed to enjoy it.

So the dance starts and right away the groom wants LMFAO's "Shots" I tell him I have it, no problem but the version I purchased off iTunes is the explicit version and would he mind waiting until later in the evening, just so we don't offend anyone. He's cool with that. We get things rocking and rolling. Nice mix of top 40, 70s, 80s, country, etc.

About 10:00 (again dance is scheduled to end at 11) the stepfather of the bride asks if I could play one specific slow country song that he and his wife (MoB) danced to at their wedding, with their anniversary coming up next week, and dedicate it to the couple. Sure, absolutely. I'm right in the middle of the Wobble, so I move into We Were Young by .Fun (a request) then Cruise by Florida Georgia Line. I invite the stepdad to come to the dance floor and tell him the story moved me and that he could explain what he wants so much better. He does, we start the song (Bless The Broken Road) I go into the Tennessee Waltz (another request/dedication) then The cotton Eyed Joe. Old people who had been waltzing are 10 stepping next to 21 year olds. It's great I think everyone is having a good time. I had had a kid bugging me all night for Gangham Style so I bust that out, people are still laughing, having a great time. I follow that with another kid request, sweet flower girl, who wanted to Chicken Dance. I break out some glow sticks, during that along with YMCA and Shake Your Booty. I have a techno remix of ABC makes a nice transition song, go into Barbie Girl by Aqua (another song that was requested about 50 times) then into The Wop, the requested Shots (this is almost on the dot 10:30) and Crank That. During Shots, I had some guy complain about the language (part of it was yes the song but the group of 21 year olds (or so) were really drunk at this point and screaming it out) I try and explain that it was a request from the groom (who as you may recall had a really horrible night with his parents not being at the reception). He doesn't like it and storms off, not a minute later, the father (not step dad, but father father) of the bride comes up with a friend (who I had already asked to get off my stage) to complain about Shots. Again, I explain it was a request from the groom, I waited until toward the end of the night but the groom really wanted the song. He's not satisfied and wants me play, here he pauses and his friend pipes up with "no more n****r music".

Now, let me explain something, my brother is hispanic and my sister is African-American. I'm going on virtually no sleep and am in no mood to put up with this guy. I tell him "Sir my sister black, I don't apperciate that kind of language. I would like an apology before we continue" he immediately apologizes and shakes my hand. I turn back to talk to the FoB and his friend apologizes again and again and wants to shake my hand again, I look at him, say "Sir, I've already shaken your hand once." and leave it at that, I tell the FoB I'll change things up. Rush to find something to play (again this is all happening during Soulja Boy's Crank That). They walk off and I hear the friend go "well I f'd that up." (understatement of the year) I'm flipping through my songs quickly looking for something that will fit stylistically but appease the complainers. I put in John Legend's All of Me, and of cohe 20 years olds complain. I gently explain that some of the older people didn't care for this music., including the bride's dad. They are all cool with it. The bride, who I think was oblivious to the situation, comes up and asks if I'll go another hour, I tell her my rate is $100 for the hour. She pays me $50 and asks if Ican just do 30 more minutes. Even though I'm not in the mood, I agree and go the extra time. The last 45 minutes or so were a cluster. The OCD control freak MoH tripped up on the stage, unplugged me during a song, so she could make an announcement that they were going to a local bar after. I wasn't in the mood, probably should have turned down the offer and went home, but again, I wanted to make the night special for the B&G who had been through a lot. They both told me that they had a good time, so I guess THAT'S the important part.

Now then, if you made it through all that, was I right in handling the "n****r music" comment? I hear this about once a year, usually from a bride as a warning. Something like "my fiancee's dad is a bit of a racist, if he says "no more sambo or porch monkey music, just blow him off." I've never heard someone so, blatantly tell me that and due to lack of sleep and being overly sensitive to the B&G's wants (I should mention that the best man was black) and situation I just said what I was thinking, no filter. So, professional opinions from others more experienced then me, did I handle it correctly, should I have handled it more discreetly (not like this happened on the mic in front of everyone but still...) or just let it wash off my back? Or for rabbit trail fun, any similar experiences (not just the racist comment but the religious parents situation) and how did they pan out? How did you handle it?

Sounds to me like you handled it well. You addressed a remark that was offensive to you and it was resolved peacefully.

No punches were thrown.
That's always a good sign.
Actually, your comment about your sister was not only honest...
it was THEE perfect response, and obviously ended THAT conversation quickly.

Kinda funny that the grooms parents were offended because they were religious...
and the bride's father was offended because he's a racist.
There's a wonderful combination for a new family.

Sometimes it's very difficult to hold one's temper in situations like that but you did handle it in a professional manner. I believe most everyone here has had an incident similar to yours...whether it be black, white, yellow, red in color.

It's easier said than done, and I can't say you handled it wrong, but my main goal when someone is offensive at a gig is to move them along so I can continue. I don't care about their required apologies. They don't mean it. The sooner they are away from me the better.
If they felt they what they said was wrong, I'd gladly accept their apology.

I'm with Scott on this one I tend to brush them off regardless of how much disdain I have for them at the moment. That being said you probably handled your situation very well

I would have vulcan death gripped the offenders and carried on...............................................well............ you handled it properly. Some people are just a-holes and you just have to take the bad/worse and smooth it out.....you pleased the B&G, well done.

You're always going to run into buttholes, just ignore them they're not worth your time or anger.

lucky it wasnt me djing that night LOL (prepare for WW3)

you handled it well

Reactions: ittigger
I get the either play or stop playing some of that ni**er music several times a year. I am in a town that is still a little racial devided. Even had a guy ask me a few weeks ago if he was going to have to listen to any of that "check your spear at the door music".

I spent 30 years with the Army and that other guy or gal in the cockpit or the foxhole was often of another race, religion or background and he or she was as much responsible for you staying alive as you were. I don't cotton to well to the racial stuff.

I think you handled it well, especially under the circumstances. However, bringing an un-edited version of Shots to a wedding is a -HUGE- red flag to me. I wouldn't even consider it, and quite honestly even the edited one is questionable enough (though it's the hot song now and everyone seems to know it). From now on I'd say that unless you're in the club scene and need the explicit versions, don't buy them. And if you do need those, buy the edited version for weddings.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
Gotta get clean edits of these songs. That's the problem with itunes and amazon, edits are hard to come by.

I just started DJing about 8 or 9 years ago and I had a similar problem at one of my first gigs. I got a request for some hip hop from someone's daughter and since I had the song I played it. I don't even know what the lyrics were! After explaining that it was a request I was told to take it off or I would be killed. I took the song off and learned to be more careful (or paranoid) about playing Rap.

Flash forward to 2014. I've got 4 versions of 'get low' and they're all explicit. And I've been getting requests for that song!

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
I had a MOB who pulled that "No more N###ger music". It's hard to not let something like that ruin your evening. I think, as it turned out, you handled it well but you asking for an apology could have turned on you in a heartbeat. Like some of the others here mentioned, I'd get mentally prepared for that kind of thing in the future and just tune it out. Don't confront. As for the MOH, I think you might have let her have too much influence. Any time I run into those I'm quick to shut them down and let them know, politely, that they are not my client and that I do not take orders from them. It's usually more of an unspoken thing where they come up, blurt their orders, and I ignore them until they figure it out and go away. I had one last year where the self-appointed planner came up and tried making her demands. I ended up looking her straight in the eye and told her "Ma'am, I have no instructions on who you are or your authority in this setting. I've been given directions by my client and that's what I'm going to follow. I don't mean you any disrespect but you are not in charge." She thanked me, told me I handled it exactly right, then went away.

Overall, you handled it like a champ. Rough night and you got through it. As long as the check clears..........next.

Gotta get clean edits of these songs. That's the problem with itunes and amazon, edits are hard to come by.

I just started DJing about 8 or 9 years ago and I had a similar problem at one of my first gigs. I got a request for some hip hop from someone's daughter and since I had the song I played it. I don't even know what the lyrics were! After explaining that it was a request I was told to take it off or I would be killed. I took the song off and learned to be more careful (or paranoid) about playing Rap.

Flash forward to 2014. I've got 4 versions of 'get low' and they're all explicit. And I've been getting requests for that song!

Jas - Unlike most box stores, iTunes generally does carry clean AND explicit versions of songs. You can choose which to buy. I'm not sure about Amazon but I think they are the same. If you're buying CD's, Wal-Mart carries clean versions.

If I'm calling this right, the daughter asked for a song, you didn't know it was explicit and that's what you played. If I was the paying customer (or parent of a teenager / child), I would also be angry if you did not turn off an explicit version of a song (requested or not). If I was a guest, I really have very little room - I can ask but if the paying party specifically asked for it, then I should be directed toward them to resolve the issue.

As stated earlier, unless you have a specific need for explicit media (or a desire to have clean and explicit versions), I would stay away from it. When buying music, if it has the Explicit Contents sticker / warning, I put it back down - I have little to no need for it. I would much rather have a library of media that I can use anywhere and offend no one than a library of media that I can use minimally and possibly offend everyone. For most of us, word of mouth and guests are our biggest advertisement. By playing explicit materials (and not knowing the contents of songs), you can pretty much guarantee that any guests offended by explicit materials or offensive songs will not be using you for any events that they may have.

Last edited:
Most good pools will have explicit AND radio edited versions (sometimes extra and super clean radio edits). If your music source doesn't do that for EVERY song, look for a new source.

I bought Shots, two years ago I think, on ITunes and couldn't find a clean version. It's not a song I play very often and honestly I probably wouldn't have played it if the groom himself hadn't requested it and I hadn't warned him that it was explicit. It's also not a song I play (same with Low, Get Low, Crank That, etc) before a certain time (usually the last hour). I am going to find a clean version of it though, just to be on the safe side from now on.

I have the same issue with Prince's "P-Control". I get a request for it, it seems like once or twice a year. I always warn "hey this song is explicit" and if it's not requested by the client, I don't play it and when it's requested by the client, I warn them about it.

I would much rather prefer playing clean versions. One time I refused to play "Hot In Herre" by Nelly because the girl requesting it was like 12 and it just felt weird to me.

Any time people request a song I don't know, out pops the i-phone and I do a lyrics check, if it comes up bad it doesn't get played. My card is VERY specific about what I will and will not play. I go over that issue specifically with clients before I accept gigs. It has lost me a few gigs, but it has gained me many more from schools and concerned parents than I have lost.