QSC KLA Series

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Djcarolina

New DJ
Nov 5, 2006
I wanted to throw out some links and see what everyone else thinks of this system.

You all know that I have a love for all things QSC, but I really liked this concept when I saw it.

KLA_3boxes_M10_lo.jpg

KLA_3boxes_array_frame_lo.jpg

KLA_2subs_3boxes_rear_angle_lo.jpg

KLA_2boxes_over_sub_lo.jpg

Essentially, the KLA series is a modular powered line array system combining the features of their new K Family of products, with their history of creating decent small to mid-sized line arrays. It would seem the KLA series could be used for a variety of applications since it carries not only the traditional flexibilities of a Line Array: ability to be flown from M10 points or used with a bracket, but it also features popular features from the K series brand such as the threaded pole socket on the 18" sub and the TiltDirect pole socket on the main cabinets.

What do I like: I like the simple locking mechanism that connects the cabinets together and their simple, clean look. With lightweight cabinets, it'd seem easy for me to use a 3 cabinet array on either side of my truss for large shows. Since the top cabinets have a selection knob for the number of cabinets in use, any combination can be dialed in for acruacy. Additionally, these cabs use higher quality connections than say standard loudspeakers- powercon power connections and a "power out" linking option, neutrik XLR connections, and then the digital amplifier.

What I don't like: My biggest complaint is with the cabinet design. In an interest to keep the weight down, QSC manufactured these in a plastic cabinet. I'm just not a fan of plastic...I didn't like the K-Series and sold it quickly to be replaced with additional sets of HPR gear.

My second concern would be, with the price point, will these speakers act as an effective small line array for a company like mine? We're moving into doing more live sound reinforcement and some larger school events. Events that may not necessarily require line array technology, but that could benefit from it, if this system provides the quality associated with an array.

What do you guys think? Obviously the best way to test something like this would be to hear it in a practical application. Right now QSC hasn't even released MAP pricing on the unit, but I expect to hear more as they get closer to a wide release this spring/summer.

Resources & Specs:

KLA12: 12" Powered 2 Way Array Cabinet. 128dB max
KLA181: 18" Powered 18" Array Sub Cab. 135dB max

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/KLA/

If you are seriously looking at flying, you should check out the competition. Here's one of them, the JBL VRX932LAP
Power Rating: 1750 Watts Peak, 875 Watts Continuous
Frequency Response: 75 Hz - 20 Hz (+/-3db)
Maximum Peak Output: 136 dB SPL at 1m
Net Weight: 24 kg (52 lb)
Enclosure: 25/15 mm, 11-ply birch plywood
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=33&MId=3

If you really don't need flying capability I'd look at a standard dual 12 stacking setup like the the JBL SRX722 or EV QRX212

As for subs, horn loaded all the way! It's hard to go back to front firing once you use horn subs. :tribiggrin:

Since venues will be different I would use the bottom configuration (I posted this last week Speakers for Small School Dances - Our DJ Talk - DJ Help and Resources Chat!) vs the Flying option. I would use a tall as possible pole. You want your mids to start at head level.

Stacking on a stage is acceptable. stacking on the floor where the top speaker is at chest level isn't going to work at its optimum if people are up front blocking the soundwaves.

One thing for sure, using a setup like this you will stand out from your competition (Other DJs)

A Video showing some features.
YouTube - QSC KLA Active Line Array System

Ryan,
I think you are taking a major step in the right direction. If you can also start doing your productions and using equipment like this not only would you get a ROI for your equipment but you will make much extra with door/gate receipts. Market this to some schools and institutions offering a percentage as a Charitable donation and the sky will be the limit. They will supply the attendees at first and it will be a win win for everyone.

BTW the JBL VRX 900 series that Scott mentioned is also an excellent choice. I have heard them but only in an installed sound. There is a Church here in my area that has a small line line array (without bass) that has excellent sound. They have seven in each array and very compact. I will try and find out the manufacturer and Model. They are excellent sounding and I can only imagine how they will sound with added bass enclosures.

The thing I like about this particular system is it's versatility. I have the option of pole mounting, but chances are I'll also make use of the ability to fly the system as well. With such lightweight cabinets, I don't think I'd have trouble flying the top cabinets from my current trussing rig, and I'll keep subs on the ground- either utilizing my current HPR inventory to begin with or eventually going to getting 4 of the KLA181s.

I use my global rig at almost every school function, regardless of whether it's a middle school or high school prom- it just makes life easier to be consistent with my setup.

I definitely want to look at several options before making a decision, which is definitely several months out, but I do like the appeal of the QSC name, the compact and user-friendly design, and the powered approach of these cabinets. I doubt this would be the last speaker system I'd ever buy (especially if we keep growing) so It would seem to make a pretty nice "starter array".

Ben- Absolutely. This is a purchase that's going to take some time for us to decide on as far as how to configure, but I'd definitely like insight as well as suggestions you might have about how to best incorporate this into our show.

I doubt we'd be able to plunge in and pick up a full 10 piece rig, but if our current bass system will work, it may be viable to start with say 6 of the array cabs and add more and subs as we find new usages for this system.

Did you hear these at NAMM/MB?

Ryan,
Before you make a giant purchase on these "Line Array" boxes. Please do yourself a big favor and go out and listed to a small array system deployed in the field first.

I will just say that, With (2) or (3) per side...Vrx or JF210's (Eaw) I'm really not impressed. Low mid's?? What are those??

When used (4) or more per side...now your talking...Sounds much better to me.
If you were only going to use 2 to 3 per side most of the time, I'd rather have a SRX or Qrx rig.

There was a guy that had a VRX rig and another company has 12 boxes of EAW JF210's. The guy sold his VRX and bought EAW's now if that tells you anything.
And Plan on using there processing for these type of boxes to get the most out of them. EAW's is $2,600