Weddings Pricing policy and methods for disclosing rates

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Funny
seems I am the complete opposite.
I prefer to email rates.
I have my pricing listed on my contract.
That way, if they like the rate, they already have a contract and simply have to fill it out and send it back.
I don't get alot of face-to-face meetings. Probably because I get most leads thru the web or from people who have seen me work.
Sending a price and contract via email means there's less chance for them to try and "negotiate" a better deal.
I've never been much of a salesman, so I know that I would cave on my price at the drop of hat...

Also
I know some DJ's dont not quote without a phone number.
If the inquiry is from another DJ who is comparing rates...BRING IT ON!
If my rates are lower, they'll probably just think I am underpriced.
If my rates are higher, they'll probably raise their rates,
which means one less DJ to lowball me!

My rates

Hello, All --

My policy has been to give prices on the web site but I've recently changed that to face to face meetings only because I've found there's more incentive for people to call if they need to do that to get your price.

Hello, All --

My policy has been to give prices on the web site but I've recently changed that to face to face meetings only because I've found there's more incentive for people to call if they need to do that to get your price.

That's cool but there is an equal chance that a web surfer who might have booked that will surf right on past because they couldn't get instant gratification.

I have a client that I'm working on who only wants contact via email because she works two jobs and just doesn't have the time to sit and wait for phone calls.

The other type of client I get is sometimes not even in Indiana so internet and phone bookings are for this type of client.

I still get phone inquiries and web inquiries that ask for quotes, but I feel I'd loose out on potential clients that might book without even speaking to me if I did not have my pricing available via an instant quote system.

I'm not against putting prices on the web site. To each their own. I had a base price on there for a week. Northing really happened. I took them off and getting inquiries left and right..mmmm....

My latest is from a bride that is getting married in Saratoga in April and her "budget" is $500. I asked her how she up with that number, he reply and I quote - "the place where my husband works says DJ should only charge $500"....I tried to educate her but then I said..Have him call me....Nothing yet.

I get an inquiry, I do my job to get them to meet with me. There are ALOT of DJs in my area that are too effing cheap. $400-$600..We've been trying to raise the bar for a long time. Why so cheap? Mmmmm...

All I need to quote a job are the three Ds...

Distance
Duration
Duties

I would rather quote my price before the face to face. This weeds out the ones shopping me on price alone.

I'm not against putting prices on the web site. To each their own. I had a base price on there for a week. Northing really happened. I took them off and getting inquiries left and right..mmmm....

My latest is from a bride that is getting married in Saratoga in April and her "budget" is $500. I asked her how she up with that number, he reply and I quote - "the place where my husband works says DJ should only charge $500"....I tried to educate her but then I said..Have him call me....Nothing yet.

I get an inquiry, I do my job to get them to meet with me. There are ALOT of DJs in my area that are too effing cheap. $400-$600..We've been trying to raise the bar for a long time. Why so cheap? Mmmmm...

A week's worth of webhits isn't going to tell you if it works or not....

Here's the added benefit... you probably wouldn't have wasted your time on that "the place where my husband works says DJ should only charge $500..." bride.... she would have got your quote or seen your price and either have decided to look into you further or simply have moved on.

It's not up to us to educate the stupid... those types of brides will only spend what they are told to and not even consider that there is a little more to DJ'n than pushing play.... which is where that max price mentality comes from.

although I am pretty "easy" with giving out rates...
I have always thought posting prices on the web
eliminates some opportunities.
I try to make myself look interesting, without disclosing too much
so there will be more reason to contact me.
(kinda like the idea that a woman in lingerie is sexier than the one who is not covering ANYTHING)

to each his own.
if it works for you, GO FOR IT!

I'm like a street side flasher... I let all my junk hang out.... LOL

Maybe there is some lost potential, maybe there's some reduction in simple tire kickers..... would I like the chance to convert every single person who hits my website looking for a DJ.... of course. But, I also realize that not everyone is my client and the throw everything at the wall to see what sticks is a waste of time in my book... I want potentials that when I throw a price at the wall it sticks and they are genuinely interested.

Now they do have to go through and check their date first an that is the first step of the qualification proceedure.... second they must enter basic information about themselves and their event.... they instantly can see the base price for whatever event they are planning and can select options. Once submitted they get a full quote and login information and I get their information to pursue.... all others move on either because my price was too high for them or they were just looking.... which is ok cause I do get the lookers back from time to time that then convert to leads.

I still don't get why our industry works this way. I guess I just don't get it.

Ask yourself this.

If you want your lawn treated, are you willing to meet with a dozen or so companies to hear their sales pitch?

How about a dozen of so dry cleaners?

How about a dozen of so auto mechanics?

How about a dozen of so exterminators?

In the eyes of many of our clients, we are no different than those professions listed above.

I think a lot of you forget that these people may want a dozen or so quotes before they make a decision. If they have to meet all of them to hear their sales pitch......well, they just aren't going to do it. They just skip calling you. I get a lot of favorable comments about how upfront and informative my website is. Obviously, YMMV.

That would be like a mechanic posting his prices on his website without knowing/seeing exactly what is wrong with the car.

I gotta know some details first. I can give them a "Starting rate" or a ballpark figure, but what about all the extra details? .....Or do you have a one price fits all..unlimited hours service? (a "$599 DJ that will do it all for unlimited time") .......YIKES!!!!!!!!!

This may work well if you are a lower priced DJ that markets to prospects that are looking for the competitive rates, or you don't have the sales skills to explain what separates you from the kid with 3 months DJing experience.

If you charge a premium for your services based on: your experience, your DJ/MC skills, the equipment you bring, Etc. You may scare people away by posting your rates online...unless they know WHY & what makes you different from the DJ that has about 3 months experience. In most cases, this needs to be explained to them and you need to know all the facts about their event.

Questions to ask before quoting a price:

Ceremony?
Where is the ceremony? onsite or at a different location? (been there, done that)
Cocktail music needed in a remote area?
What's the travel distance?
How many hours needed?
Are there stairs involved?
Unloading area close to event? ..or do I have to wheel my gear by hand for 2 miles.
Is there parking available, or do I have to pay to park in a garage?
How many guests? Do I need to bring extra equipment?
Do they want video? lighting? uplighting?
Is there electricity at the ceremony location or do I need to provide a generator/ battery pack?
Do I have to arrive early to set up & come back later?
Etc. Etc.

I still don't get why our industry works this way. I guess I just don't get it.

Ask yourself this.

If you want your lawn treated, are you willing to meet with a dozen or so companies to hear their sales pitch?

How about a dozen of so dry cleaners?

How about a dozen of so auto mechanics?

How about a dozen of so exterminators?

In the eyes of many of our clients, we are no different than those professions listed above.

That's apples to oranges.

The auto mechanic can't give you an accurate quote without knowing/seeing what is wrong with your car. Plus, I want to make sure the guy that is going to work on my car knows what he is doing. I have no problem getting a second opinion from another shop.

Try: Home remodeler, pool builder, Lasik for your eyes. Etc.
All of these, I want to know & compare their experience, references, and they want to know all the details before giving you quotes.

In regards to all of the details you can easily put prices on your page listing what's included and if it's extravagant go from there...At the very least I want to know what price range I'm dealing with. The last thing i would want to deal with is having to call someone and deal witha sales pitch not knowing the price range...again if I'm searching for a service online and the price isn't listed I move on. But that's just me :)

That would be like a mechanic posting his prices on his website without knowing/seeing exactly what is wrong with the car.

I gotta know some details first. I can give them a "Starting rate" or a ballpark figure, but what about all the extra details? .....Or do you have a one price fits all..unlimited hours service? (a "$599 DJ that will do it all for unlimited time") .......YIKES!!!!!!!!!

This may work well if you are a lower priced DJ that markets to prospects that are looking for the competitive rates, or you don't have the sales skills to explain what separates you from the kid with 3 months DJing experience.

If you charge a premium for your services based on: your experience, your DJ/MC skills, the equipment you bring, Etc. You may scare people away by posting your rates online...unless they know WHY & what makes you different from the DJ that has about 3 months experience. In most cases, this needs to be explained to them and you need to know all the facts about their event.

Questions to ask before quoting a price:

Ceremony?
Where is the ceremony? onsite or at a different location? (been there, done that)
Cocktail music needed in a remote area?
What's the travel distance?
How many hours needed?
Are there stairs involved?
Unloading area close to event? ..or do I have to wheel my gear by hand for 2 miles.
Is there parking available, or do I have to pay to park in a garage?
How many guests? Do I need to bring extra equipment?
Do they want video? lighting? uplighting?
Is there electricity at the ceremony location or do I need to provide a generator/ battery pack?
Do I have to arrive early to set up & come back later?
Etc. Etc.

Actually a mechanic has a book that they simply look at to give a price for a given job. It tells them the amount of time it will take to do an RR of that particular part.

Your analogy is wrong in so many ways here.

A bride calls you and tells you, who, what, when, where, how long and how many! So you already have ALL the details to price the job!

Just as if your transmission went out on your car, you would call your mechanic and tell him where the car was, what type of car it is, and that the transmission has taken a dump, he will be able to give you an exact quote in less than 3 minutes time! If he can't you need to call another mechanic!

Just like if the DJ can't give a qoute the client should be finding another DJ (and most do)!:sqwink:

I sure hope you are kidding about the unlimited time! Does anybody ever offer that?

My rate covers 6 hours for dinner, formals and open dancing anything more is over time so that is covered! Ceromony system is a seperate price but that is covered in the who, what, when, where, how many! I have never had a bride who wanted sound at the ceromony NOT ask me about it in the initial phone call!

Ceromony, power is required to be within 20 feet of setup area 20 amp circuit or better, reception requires (2) 20 amp circuits within 20 feet of setup area! Everytime I have done a gig requiring a generator that was the second thing brought up by the client!

If the event is taking place where vehicles can not get to (which is covered in the where) then they are doing it without a caterer, florist, tables, chairs etc. so the system will be a Fender Passport!

Lighting is also covered in the what! There is a seperate charge for lighting, so that is covered in the initial phone call!

Travel is covered as well under the where, any distance over 40 miles is $1 per mile over that 40!

Stairs are covered as well, as in $10 per step extra! (I just don't do stairs):sqbiggrin:

My day is taken anyway regardless of having to setup early and coming back later!

These things can all be easily covered in a phone call and can just as easily be addressed on a website pricing schedule!

Actually a mechanic has a book that they simply look at to give a price for a given job. It tells them the amount of time it will take to do an RR of that particular part.

Your analogy is wrong in so many ways here.

We are both in agreement that you need to ask all the questions first, before quoting a price.
Having your total price on your website can either be misleading, or problematic later for the DJ.

It reminds me of the radio commercials for the $99 brake job.
When in reality, if you leave there without paying $500+ you are lucky!
But they do say at the end of the commercial (very fast) additional services & fees may be required. I doubt ANYONE has ever gotten a complete brake job for $99!

In order to post your rates on your website (without scaring folks off) you would need to have something posted saying "additional fees may be required"

Although, I have seen some DJs that do post stuff on their website like: "$695 weddings up to 7 hrs." Is this misleading?

Does that include the ceremony? travel? extra gear in various locations, Etc. Etc.

I agree with you Bill, but those things can easily be covered with a simple statement!

Price applies to events held within 40 miles of Bean Town and are for DJ and a single placed sound system only, for additional services ie: light shows, ceromony systems and travel cost see the schedule below!

And then you list the add ons clearly, still not a problem! It would be just like grocery shopping for the client!

I agree with you Bill, but those things can easily be covered with a simple statement!

Price applies to events held within 40 miles of Bean Town and are for DJ and a single placed sound system only, for additional services ie: light shows, ceromony systems and travel cost see the schedule below!

And then you list the add ons clearly, still not a problem! It would be just like grocery shopping for the client!

Agreed.

Great replies everyone!

The reason for my face-to-face (and not posting on my site) is simply the fact that my rates are 5x that of my competition.

Most leads would just pass me by until they see the VALUE in what I can do for them.

I only perform about 25 events a year.

I close about 80% in person as apposed to just sending them my rate via email or even phone. And, when on the phone, it seems like they have distractions or in a hurry to get the rate.

Of course, YMMV.

Maybe it's just me, but if you're charging FIVE TIMES the going rate in the area, Id say you don't HAVE any "competition." LOL!

But that is, of course, assuming you're WORTH every penny of that and are able to communicate it effectively.

If so, more power to ya!