Powered sub

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I agree with Rick. I bit the bullet and got a Yorkie and am very glad I did.

Listen to Rick!
and Art and Wes and others who are enjoying the Yorkville sound.

Reactions: ittigger and DJ Wes
If they weren't so gosh darn heavy for a 53 year old back. If I had a van and a ramp, I would be in.

For me a under 90# QSC KW181 or a RCF sub is the right fit.

Got a 5x8 trailer with ramp and inside lights for those outdoor events and other areas where there is little to no lighting when loading up at the end of the evening. May need to downsize my tops for less weight, but don't want to lose the output and quality of the NX750PB (Yorkville 15"). If only there was a speaker stand that has a lower setup starting height so I don't have to lift the darn speaker above my shoulders.

I recently pulled a muscle (Feb 7th) in my shoulder/upper arm area (don't think it was a rotator cuff) while lifting a speaker and positioning it on the speaker stand. For this particular event was held in small gym. In order to get the sound down on to the kids (I was on stage) I added a "speaker tilter" to the stand which increased the standard starting height by an extra 5-6". I actually was standing on my tiptoes to mount the darn thing when it began to lean off center and to keep it from falling to the floor I tried to upright it and that's when I heard/felt a slight "pop". I re-injured (slight strain) it again again on February 21st but not as badly. I stopped lifting at the point where it started to strain. I was determined to get those two speakers on the stand. I took 4 rubber "puzzle-square" pads that I stand on behind my DJ table and made a platform on which to stand (increased my height by 4 or so inches, enough so that it didn't have to stand on my tiptoes or tweak my shoulder. Hence, the need to look at a speaker stand with a lower than average starting height. Any ideas?

Had the weight been less I might not have injured my shoulder in the first place. Lesson learned...but not heeded.

Reactions: ittigger
For those who run a powered sub, how do you control the volume (gain) to it?

I use live mixers and could do it with them, but I also want to use a Driverack and use the mono sum out on it.

Once I set the volume correctly in relation to the tops, it's just an overall volume thing (tops and subs adjusted as one). If I need to tweak the low end, I do so via EQ. And if things get really crazy for some reason, I just walk over to the sub and adjust it there.

Once I set the volume correctly in relation to the tops, it's just an overall volume thing (tops and subs adjusted as one). If I need to tweak the low end, I do so via EQ. And if things get really crazy for some reason, I just walk over to the sub and adjust it there.

What Wes said. It's easy.

Reactions: ittigger
Art maybe a 12" box would be better for you with your current condition. The Parasource 12" or the new NX 300 is a slight bit less in weight 50/60 lbs each. The NX 55 has been a well rated work horse. EV is also rolling out a new line that seems to be of better quality than the last 2 lines. ETX 12P. http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2592

Hey Jon, good to see you still "lurking" about. Did a Sweet 16 last night with approx. 150 guests. I was setup on stage with two RCF 200A's (12") with the Yorkville LS801PB (18") on the floor below center stage. The RCF are always crystal clear and the subwoofer added the low end punch. The sub volume was barely up. DRPA used with 2-way, Mono Sub setting. A few times I increased the overall volume and the sub was really noticeable as I could feel the sound wave beneath my feet on stage...and I stand on rubber puzzle squares.

The RCF ART 200A's are 40 lbs. I had no trouble putting them on the speaker stands with the speaker-tilter attached to the stand. A slight strain on the right shoulder, but didn't have any problem with it during the evening. The reason I strained the shoulder in the first place was due to lifting the Yorkville NX 750PB on to the speaker tilter. This speaker is much larger and heavier than the RCF. NX750 weighs in at 60 lbs.

I don't have a problem lifting (before shoulder strain) the York 750 on to speaker stand IF I don't use a tilter. I've had success using just the two NX750 (750 watt)(15") at smaller party or wedding events without the York LS801P. But, I may look into the new ETX line. Hate to get rid of the NX750's. I know you did sell yours, but I don't recall what replaced them.

Last edited:
Hey Art! I did sell mine but I ended up going passive with the NX 600 same speaker without the amp. It sounds awesome and I am driving it with a QSC PLX amp. I still have my RCF 325i's. For some reason I can't let them go because they sound nice and clear. It's the only box I found with 2" horn for the highs. Everything else has a 1" or 1 1/2" driver. For low end I am still using the LS 800 and a LS 700 for smaller stuff. I wanted to purchase more Yorkville low end from Steve here on the board but expenses came up and pushed that thought out of the way. I am hoping an opportunity will come up before June where I can get them for out door events.

Your shoulder will heel in due time. Don't stress it. The EV ETX line does look like a nice candidate but the jury is still out for now. I really do like the Parasource line but again if it had the 2" horn that I love, a purchase would definitely be in order but for now I will keep rocking with what I have. Stay well Art and I will talk to you soon.

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ
Jon1...I have not heard any of the Parasource line; are they expensive? Maybe the reason nobody in my area has them.
Did you say the RCF 325i (non-powered?) has the 2" horn? Those RCF ART200's with only a 12" horn sound as though it was a 15". Only problem is using the ART's when I need more power than they can supply. I usually run them and the York NX750's together at the larger events. The combined sound is pretty good. I generally aim the ART's to the side and Yorks straight on (aiming at cross corners of dance floor)...trying to get the sweet spot in the back third of the dance floor. I only use the speaker tilter when I'm setup on stage or platform.
BTW, when looking at the EV ETX 12" link I noticed on closer inspection that the speakers have a dual mounting plate on the bottom for attaching to the speaker stand; one for straight ahead and the other for a 7-degree angle down. Cool! Now if I could only connect to the proper hole the first time, I would save my shoulder. I can see lifting one speaker and positioning it correctly and then having to lift the second speaker a second time because I didn't get the correct hole for the angle needed. One thing that is a plus...handles on both sides of the speaker for carrying or lifting.

I posted my quickie review on the LS801p in another thread but since we're talking subs here.............

Got to actually use BOTH of my new LS801ps this past weekend. On both events I basically ran them the same and tweaked the shape knob and both about 50% up on volume. For tops, I used 3-way, 15" passive Carvin cabs powered by a Crown xti4002 amp.The system was well balanced and felt like I had a mountain of horsepower. Seriously impressive sound and volume level. I did see limit lights on the yorkies some of the time, but not excessive and I don't remember ever seeing a clip (red) light.

The Friday night setup was 200 kids, in a 75' wide by 150' long, brick warehouse on a concrete floor, level with the dance floor. I split the subs about 35' apart and didn't notice any problems with cancellation. Just good clean, monstrous sound, all around the building. I know the bass would've been even bigger if center-loaded but frankly, I would've been brown-noting behind my DJ table. Here's a pre-game shot:
IMAG0357.jpg

Saturday was a smaller setup an on a 4' stage area. The dance floor was in a pit. I only had room for 1 large screen so the split was more like 25' from sub to sub. Thought about dropping those subs center-loaded and on the dance floor but decided against it. This was for about 125 kids and, not sure why, but the bottom end was more pronounced on the center of the dance floor. I don't remember any brown spots on the floor but it sure would shake your guts when you walked out there. Here's a shot:
IMG_0638.jpg

I know the Yorkies are heavy and bulky but one sub has been way more than enough power for 90% of the weddings I work. These setups were fun to try out but frankly it was almost too much, although the kids apparently went nuts at both events. I've already gotten invites to do next year for both schools.

Thank you everyone for the many helpful responses. I ended going with the jbl prx718xlf. The peavey pvxp15 sub was outta stock and after hearing the 718 hit that -40 bass drop I knew I was sold. Thanx again for the help.

Reactions: steve149
For the guys who have the ls801, question for you. Have you ever noticed a decrease in volume if have low voltage in the venue? Last night, it just didn't seem like I had the same punch coming from the subs. Finally looked down at my power regulator and noticed it was reading 105 volts coming from the wall. I had the subs running straight off wall power, not post-regulator.

I imagine that would cause an issue - it's hard to project power without power. I imagine that this could also damage the circuitry - missing needed power.

Yes. low voltage can damage stuff and you lose some of the neat stuff.