Power on the Truss (Suggestions/Manufacturers)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DMXHack

New DJ
Oct 12, 2008
Tustin, CA
Hey All, setting up my trusses for mostly DMX-LED, can't use the variable output PDUs or chasers (Everything I have is Solid State).

Anyway, I am looking for a Power Strip solutions for the truss, something that can:

1) Mount Securely on a OnStage I-Truss, Disassemble quickly.
2) Secure Wall Wart Transformers (Some of the LED/Laser use wall transformers)
3) Not cost an arm and a leg for what it really is...

Suggestions or Manufacturers?

Thanks!

First, unfortunately, you are going to find that the On Stage I Truss is a problematic piece of gear. After a dozen or so uses, you will find it increasing difficult to put the two I Beam sections together.

That said, the best way to run your power is to zip tie a power strip to the I beam.

After two years of frustration and busting my #$% putting the On Stage together, I bit the bullet and purchased the American DJ Dura-Truss system.

What a great piece of gear! It assembles in seconds, does not bend or bow, and best of all, it cranks up!

I have a 5 spot power strip zip-tied to each 5 ft truss section.

I am currently running 5 ADJ Scanners, a Vue 3, a black widow laser, a 70 watt Big Shot Strobe, and 2 ADJ Mega Pixel Light bars.

For the non-DMX fixtures, I run individual power lines from my control panel to them. The DMX fixtures are all plugged into the power strips.

Hope this helps.

On my truss, I bought several metal outlet boxes and some SJO power 12-3 . I put 3 dual outlet boxes in every 2 meter section. I tie wrapped the boxes and power cord down. I put a male plug on one end and a female plug on the other, so if I'm only using 2 sections of truss I run a extension cord up each crank stand to the male plug. If I am using 3 section, I plug the middle section into the female plug on the end of one of the outer section. Works great, now I just need some shorter power cords for the lights.

For total control over all your lighting on the truss, I recommend this:

light-copilot-ii-lsc.jpg

Elation LIGHTCOPILOTII
on off controller
Item #: LIGHTCOPILOTII

Price: $199.99

http://www.northernlightfx.com/cart/product.php?productid=1313&cat=1232&page=1

You can attach the relay pack to the truss, power all of your lights from the relay pack, run the control cable up the truss, and install the control panel in your rack for fingertip control.

You may also want to consider this:

DP-DMX-20L.jpg

American DJ DP-DMX20L
DMX Relay Pack
Item #: DP-DMX20L

Price: $199.99

Call Ben or Kat at www.northernlightfx.com to inquire.

Contact Us
1-888-660-6696
218-444-2994
[email protected]

From what I can tell its looks like this truss?

I would really recommend going to some sort of square trussing, its going to save you time, have a much neater look and is worth the extra money.
Basicly Kevin has the right idea, you put something like that inside the truss, run your DMX down on side, and the only cable you have crossing the center is a DMX cable that you disconnect and reconnect ever time. I would look for some short euro cables, save having to bundle up all your wire and some cloth to wrap the trussing in, hid the bulk of the wires... Also, get some XLR ends and bulk DMX cable, wire it with all custom lengths
So in the end, you will have on DMX to connect in the middle, one at one of the ends to go to your controller and 2 power cables to go to 2 SEPARATE outlets

Do you guys leave your lights/fx on the truss or take them off each time for transit?

I'm just looking for a faster way to set up/tear down.

Some very good suggestions. I've done it several ways that have been listed -- power strips, plugs -- but with my current set up, I'm using the Co-Pilot set up. Using it wireless, I leave the power pack and the par cans on the bar. One cord up the poles for power and everything else plugs into the co-pilot. If you have a dmx fixture that you want to have constant power, you just leave that channel on all of the time and remove it from the chase sequence. I just add other lighting as needed to the bar with o-clamps.

Here's one of my early shots when I was rebuilding the light show.

This set up goes up very quickly and my trailer has two hooks that it securely hangs on during transport.

DSC02504.jpg

View attachment bigshow.gif

I have two sections of Global truss square trussing., the total span is 13 1/2 feet.

I need to power up DMX scanners with hid discharge bulbs so what I did was set a pair of 4 channel dimmer/switch packs to switch only, set them as DMX 505-512 on my Leviton controller and now I can individually power up the HID's that need to stay on.

Here's a pic of the light truss. There are 4 MX-4 martin Scanners, One Martin EFX-800 (I LOVE this light) A pair of Chauvet Vue II's for Ceiling action, and not shown are the three Chauvet Colorstrip led's that are inbound.

I'm using a Leviton MLC-128R DMX controller.

Best,

Paul :sqbiggrin: