Portable Jukebox Rental Service?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Jukeboxes, like you see in bars and restaurants, do have to have licenses because they are in public playing to a public audience. If you're renting equipment to a private party, this is no different than the service you provide (as far as copyright is concerned).

Yes but if you did actually want to be legal you'd have to purchase multiple copies of your library, wouldn't you? Realizing of course that most DJs (me included) would just duplicate and use the same library in multiple locations.

Reactions: steve149
For mobile DJ's, you must have one legally obtained / purchased copy of music for each system that you have. If you are renting 'jukebox systems' to private parties, this would extend to those as well (see post 14).

For private parties, there is no 'license' involved .. as the equipment and music is yours and this is not a public party. For an analogy, you can rent the equipment - and provide them with an iPod to play - from a musical standpoint, is this any different than you playing? No, it is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149
Rick (softjock) had a decent jukebox program for sale .. though I suppose it is shuttered now. I've seen ads from party rental stores as well. I would stick with renting "packages" of hardware (powered speakers, stands, etc.) and let them use an iPod .. otherwise you may spend too much time managing what doesn't work out of the box to make it not worth it.

I never do more than one event at a time, as I only have one library. How do you guys that run more than one event at a time (like I have noticed Rick has one coming up on another thread where he is booked and is sending his wife out to another)?

I have had several occasions where I could have run two or three events at one time and I have more than enough equipment and help to have handled the work, but only one music library.

Reactions: ittigger
Same here. I run one at a time. If I have people working with / for me, they have to have their own music.

I never do more than one event at a time, as I only have one library. How do you guys that run more than one event at a time (like I have noticed Rick has one coming up on another thread where he is booked and is sending his wife out to another)?

I have had several occasions where I could have run two or three events at one time and I have more than enough equipment and help to have handled the work, but only one music library.
The TOS with the pools require a subscription for each simultaneously used system. Since I have just me, it's never been an issue. Some of the pools have discounts for multiple users.

You can also have the DJ (whether that's family or others) bring their own music .. you provide the HW.

Yea, I have one coming up where both my wife and I will be working the same night and on 2 events. I guess that'll make me a thief. On my other rigs, the DJ provides their own music. It's part of their fee. It's up to them to get their stuff legally (which I encourage).

Yea, I have one coming up where both my wife and I will be working the same night and on 2 events. I guess that'll make me a thief. On my other rigs, the DJ provides their own music. It's part of their fee. It's up to them to get their stuff legally (which I encourage).
Just make sure you and her don't play the same songs that night ..

Reactions: DJ TJ and ittigger
Then why do Jukebox Companies need Licenses? Both the Bar Owners as well as the Jukebox Owners have to pay!

You're incorrect. If a bar owner has only a jukebox as a form of entertainment, it's probably more cost-effective for them to purchase a jukebox license than it is to purchase individual licenses with ASCAP, BMI & SESAC (the three biggest music licensing companies). However, a jukebox license is not required if they have purchased those individual licenses.

The jukebox owner doesn't have to buy the license; only the owner of the venue where the jukebox will be playing is responsible.

Bars, nightclubs and restaurants that have DJs and bands in addition to having a jukebox would need to purchase the appropriate ASCAP, BMI and SESAC licenses. Having only a jukebox license won't cover them.

You're incorrect. If a bar owner has only a jukebox as a form of entertainment, it's probably more cost-effective for them to purchase a jukebox license than it is to purchase individual licenses with ASCAP, BMI & SESAC (the three biggest music licensing companies). However, a jukebox license is not required if they have purchased those individual licenses.

The jukebox owner doesn't have to buy the license; only the owner of the venue where the jukebox will be playing is responsible.

Bars, nightclubs and restaurants that have DJs and bands in addition to having a jukebox would need to purchase the appropriate ASCAP, BMI and SESAC licenses. Having only a jukebox license won't cover them.
Well there is a Bar near to me where I used to do Karaoke and the Jukebox comes with its own License. Also the Bar Owner does not own it! They have to have a separate License for their Bands that now perform there.
Here also is a answer from ASCAP's Website.

"
How do I obtain a license for a Jukebox?
Licenses for jukeboxes are available through the Jukebox License Office. The JLO makes it convenient and economical for you to obtain the permission you need for your jukebox by serving as a "clearinghouse" that provides authorization to perform virtually every copyrighted song in the United States and much of the world.

The JLO is a joint venture of the United States performing rights organizations, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. The JLO offers a license which provides total access to all songs in the ASCAP, BMI and SESAC repertories. The Jukebox License Agreement is a single, economical, annual license that provides the authorization required to publicly perform copyrighted songs on a jukebox. Jukeboxes that are licensed by the JLO, must display a certificate in the title strip holder of each jukebox.

please complete and return the Tips card
or email the name and address of the location and name of jukebox operator (if known) to [email protected].

Establishments where music is performed by some means other than the jukebox (DJ's, bands, tapes, etc.), still need a separate license from ASCAP (or the individual copyright owners) covering these other performances. The Jukebox License Agreement only provides authorization for jukebox performances.

The jukebox, or "coin-operated phonorecord player," qualifies for the Jukebox License Agreement if it is a machine or device that:

- is used solely for non-dramatic public performances of music; and
- is operated by coins, tokens, currency or the like; and
- is operated by patrons of the establishment (not employees), who make their selections from a list of titles; and
- is located in an establishment making no direct or indirect charge for admission.

Brendan stated it .. The Jukebox license is a subset of the standard license, but it covers all 3 major organizations. If you have a full license from each organization, you don't need the jukebox one .. a jukebox is no different than playing a CD through the restaurant speakers.

I would guess most jukeboxes these days are rented, as most use digital downloads instead of CDs and the rental includes updating.

Sounds exactly like the "DJ In A Box" you can rent from the local rental store.
Of course, you were gonna sell it with an attendant, which dors make it a different concept.
Just be prepared to hear that your attendants, are being asked to be more like a DJ.
Perhaps not picking songs, or taking requests...but more like an "equipment operator".

Renting music is an explicit violation of the Copyright Act no matter how many "original" libraries you claim to own. It falls under the Jukebox license requirement which is something different than a simple performance license.

A performance license does not pertain to any particular source (recordings) - and it applies to ANY method of making public a performance of the work including live cover bands and a capella singers. Liability rests with (only) the venue where the performance is actually made public. For example, if you borrow your neighbor's CD and listen to it unwittingly in your garage while another neighbor who owns a radio station sneakily uses a mic to feed the music to be broadcast - the liability falls on the radio station not you or your other neighbor. The station is the only one that performed it publicly.

Alternatively, the jukebox license addresses the issues of the material recordings and the commercial act of leasing them. Renting music is by itself a commercial use by the lessor that occurs even before any song in the jukebox gets performed by or in the venue of the lessee. So, while a private party (the lessee) is not liable for a performance royalty - you, the lessor are still liable for the commercial use which is the leasing of the recordings.

The jukebox license is more similar to a special distribution license - whereby the lessor makes money commercially simply by the leased distribution of the recordings without any contingency that a song ever gets performed. Indeed, even if no one ever plays the jukebox - the distribution alone is a commercial use.

Last edited:
My references are limited to private performances. If you're renting out a DJ system with music, you're not renting the music out. You're renting the system out. The only difference is the physical presence of you.

My references are limited to private performances. If you're renting out a DJ system with music, you're not renting the music out. You're renting the system out. The only difference is the physical presence of you.

Sorry, that's just incorrect (USA). If there is music in the system that is rented you are required to have a jukebox license (US code Title 17.) That aspect of licensing has nothing to do with the later and separate issue of where the songs are performed. The two issues are not related. One is a specific and controlled commercial use and the other is a performance royalty. Public or private - renting of music in any form is considered jukebox vending.

You need a jukebox license to rent your music. Then, if the venue is anything but private they will need to obtain a performance license for the venue or you can obtain it on their behalf as part of your service. Either way - these are two separate licenses triggered by this type of transaction. The relationship is a triad - A jukebox distribution license between copyright holder and jukebox vendor; performance license between the venue and performing rights organization, and a service agreement between jukebox vendor and venue.

I made a lot of money renting systems to DJ companies, DJs, and DIYers. If I could have rented music in the way you suggest I'd have done it but, without a jukebox license it infringes the copyrights. In Canada things are different. Here in the USA that type of DJ music licensing is prohibited by (US code Title 15 Sherman Act.)

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I agree that if you are a jukebox vendor that this all applies.

I do not agree that if I roll out to setup a system that a client is using for x amount of hours makes you a jukebox vendor. I wouldn't leave my music with anyone anyways so the point is moot for me.

Back on track, each system requires its own copy of music.

Sounds exactly like the "DJ In A Box" you can rent from the local rental store.
Of course, you were gonna sell it with an attendant, which dors make it a different concept.
Just be prepared to hear that your attendants, are being asked to be more like a DJ.
Perhaps not picking songs, or taking requests...but more like an "equipment operator".

Yeah kind of expected that. If I did something like this I would try to make it idiot proof so it's as easy as possible to operate.

Reactions: Ausumm
I think we will have to agree to disagree. I agree that if you are a jukebox vendor that this all applies.

I do not agree that if I roll out to setup a system that a client is using for x amount of hours makes you a jukebox vendor. I wouldn't leave my music with anyone anyways so the point is moot for me.

Back on track, each system requires its own copy of music.

Ok but are you renting music if you are selling it as a service with an attendant running it. So it's like a DJ but very easy! At that point as far as copyright is concerned what's the difference between that and a DJ?

That's the point I'm getting to. I won't put a system out without an operator .. and even less of a chance of 'my' music being there without an operator, so this doesn't apply to me.

That's the point I'm getting to. I won't put a system out without an operator .. and even less of a chance of 'my' music being there without an operator, so this doesn't apply to me.

Right especially on the music. That is how I feel too. Guess that's why I posted this thread. It's good to have other opinions.