Weddings Pop-up 10x10 canopy choices?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Outside, I will normally peg mine it. Haven't had a need to do so on concrete or asphalt.

As for the ceremony, you are probably correct. I would get a golf umbrella and rig it up to stand guard over the equipment until zero hour .. then collapse it and stow behind. If there was a chance of rain, I would push to have something over the equipment (and a few contractor garbage bags to toss over the speakers if necessary.

Also....What do you guys use for weights?

The wind can be a b*tch sometimes so I stake mine to the ground but in a parking lot I've used some of my road cases. I should probably get some sandbags or weights. Good question Bill, gives me something to think about.

I can easily see a venue telling the DJ that he is not allowed to set it up in the ceremony area, sun or no sun. (rain may be a different story)

That is your call buddy this is why I said to let the Client handle that arrangement for you. I almost walked away from a Gig last year. When I arrived they wanted to put me outside instead, under the burning Texas Sun. I had made a previous site visit and everything was arranged for me to be inside. I told them, "sorry, I am, not about to get my Electronics (Not the speakers) warped in the sun." The fee would not cover my loss. They backed down. I was ready to drive away.

- - - Updated - - -

The wind can be a b*tch sometimes so I stake mine to the ground but in a parking lot I've used some of my road cases. I should probably get some sandbags or weights. Good question Bill, gives me something to think about.
I have used Concrete screws to anchor the legs to the asphalt or concrete. The legs have a tab with a screw hole for that purpose. Fill in the hole when you are through. Always remember, is it worth the risk of destroying your gear for the fee that you are getting?

Contract is specific about protection from the elements. Have used the Golf/Beach umbrella on a couple of occasions when one of my speakers wouldn't fit under the tent opening. All my speakers are Active so protection from heat and rain are a requirement.

Reactions: 1 person
… I have used Concrete screws to anchor the legs to the asphalt or concrete. The legs have a tab with a screw hole for that purpose. Fill in the hole when you are through. …

I'd be worried about doing this because it appears that you're doing permanent damage to someone else's property. I'd be pretty upset if someone pounded holes in my patio/lounge area. I can imagine a client cursing your name every time he came across the spots where you messed up his patio and vowing that had he seen you do it he'd have fired you right then and there. Maybe I'm overreacting (as a proud homeowner) …? What are you filling in the holes with?

Last edited:
I'd be worried about doing this because it appears that you're doing permanent damage to someone else's property. I'd be pretty upset if someone pounded holes in my patio/lounge area. I can imagine a client cursing your name every time he came across the spots where you messed up his patio and vowing that had he seen you do it he'd have fired you right then and there. Maybe I'm overreacting (as a proud homeowner) …? What are you filling in the holes with?
I never said Patio! Needless to say, I should have added that whatever is done needs to be first authorized.

I am going to have to get one.I did a pool party once, without cover, and got burnt up.Thanks for the insite.

The things that have me leaning towards the "Undercover" model is that they promote that 1 person can set it up/disassemble it alone within minutes.

When I talked to a rep from EZUP I asked if 1 person can do it, they wouldn't say. They recommend that it be done by at least 2 people. Plus the weight is a factor too. I prefer aluminum over the steel. The quality of Undercover appears to be better too.

I may look into the weight bags that you can fill with water, sand, rocks, etc. for windy days.
Maybe I'll buy some concrete screws too.

As far as protection from the hot sun beating down on my powered speakers, I may buy some type of umbrella that will attach to the speaker. (any suggestions?)

I see DJs doing gigs out in the hot sun with powered speakers quite often & I wonder how hard that must be those speakers.

While any of the tents will be easier with multiple people, I usually set my EZ-up up by myself. I leave the "roof" on when I fold it up, so it's fairly easy .. just a little dance around the tent .. hopping from pole to pole.

The things that have me leaning towards the "Undercover" model is that they promote that 1 person can set it up/disassemble it alone within minutes.

When I talked to a rep from EZUP I asked if 1 person can do it, they wouldn't say. They recommend that it be done by at least 2 people. Plus the weight is a factor too. I prefer aluminum over the steel. The quality of Undercover appears to be better too.

I may look into the weight bags that you can fill with water, sand, rocks, etc. for windy days.
Maybe I'll buy some concrete screws too.

As far as protection from the hot sun beating down on my powered speakers, I may buy some type of umbrella that will attach to the speaker. (any suggestions?)

I see DJs doing gigs out in the hot sun with powered speakers quite often & I wonder how hard that must be those speakers.
Bill, do what you think is best but bear in mind these factors.
The aluminum, though lighter than the steel is easier to be blown away in a gust of wind.
The steel however is heavier and also when you have the whole package, Canopy, frame and flaps in one case, can be pretty heavy and may require two people to carry. However it is not that difficult for one person to assemble.
Using sand, rocks, water etc may be great but here is what that entails:
Rocks and sand in bags means that you have four bags to unload, carry and setup.
Water, you have to take the containers to a water faucet to fill unless you intend on pre filling them first.
Take all these factors into consideration before you make your final choice.
One of the reasons why I require the client to supply the tent, they will usually rent one from a company who will come out and properly set it up.
Whatever you choose carry large garbage bags to put over your speakers in case of rain and also some lightweight Tarps to place over the equipment as added protection.
Good luck with it!

Bill, do what you think is best but bear in mind these factors.
The aluminum, though lighter than the steel is easier to be blown away in a gust of wind.
The steel however is heavier and also when you have the whole package, Canopy, frame and flaps in one case, can be pretty heavy and may require two people to carry. However it is not that difficult for one person to assemble.
Using sand, rocks, water etc may be great but here is what that entails:
Rocks and sand in bags means that you have four bags to unload, carry and setup.
Water, you have to take the containers to a water faucet to fill unless you intend on pre filling them first.
Take all these factors into consideration before you make your final choice.
One of the reasons why I require the client to supply the tent, they will usually rent one from a company who will come out and properly set it up.
Whatever you choose carry large garbage bags to put over your speakers in case of rain and also some lightweight Tarps to place over the equipment as added protection.
Good luck with it!

Great advice. But counting on the client to provide the tent is a waste of time. I've seen it happen many times with other vendors (string quartet, etc.) I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen the vendor asking "where's our umbrella/covering?

The venue knows nothing about it & the bride & groom are busy getting ready for ceremony ...& guests are arriving. Vendor can either perform or leave. I've never seen anyone leave.

I prefer to provide my own. As far as the aluminum tent, it is not as windy here as other places, and & plan to create weights that will attach to the legs if needed. I've seen some of those tents that claim 1 person can put it up...only if you have about 20 minutes.

Bill - unless you get one of the super heavy duty monsters, I can erect and take-down my 10x10 (in and out of the case too) in less than 3-4 min. If you take it apart, i.e. remove the canopy from the frame, it will take much longer. If you keep the canopy attached, it's a fairly quick procedure.

The only issue with keeping the canopy attached, it you need to make sure the fabric doesn't get caught in the mechanics and tear or pinch a hole through. Keeping the attachment Velcro loose enough to slip as well as straightening the fabric when the frame is at it's smallest, helps in that regard.

My first tent (which I lost in a windstorm when the guy next to me "borrowed" 2 of my stakes unbeknownst to me) I used to remove the canopy each time. It took 15-20 minutes to get it on and adjusted and all the straps tightened, that I decided it wasn't worth the effort for the potential savings in longevity.

Bill - unless you get one of the super heavy duty monsters, I can erect and take-down my 10x10 (in and out of the case too) in less than 3-4 min. If you take it apart, i.e. remove the canopy from the frame, it will take much longer. If you keep the canopy attached, it's a fairly quick procedure.

The only issue with keeping the canopy attached, it you need to make sure the fabric doesn't get caught in the mechanics and tear or pinch a hole through. Keeping the attachment Velcro loose enough to slip as well as straightening the fabric when the frame is at it's smallest, helps in that regard.

My first tent (which I lost in a windstorm when the guy next to me "borrowed" 2 of my stakes unbeknownst to me) I used to remove the canopy each time. It took 15-20 minutes to get it on and adjusted and all the straps tightened, that I decided it wasn't worth the effort for the potential savings in longevity.

Great stuff!

What do you recoomend for covering the speakers from the hot sun?

Some speakers have available rain flaps .. basically custom covers with rain flys in the rear for venting and a front flap that can go up or down for simple shading.

I generally have a pair of contractor garbage bags (can get them at Home Depot, etc.) that are large enough to throw over the speakers in inclement weather. I don't typically cover my speakers in the sun, but it doesn't get as bad here in CT as it does in your neck. I've run my old Mackie SRMs for 9+ hours in 90 deg sun and my JBL PRXs for 6. If I knew I would be in searing sun, I might rig up a couple of golf umbrellas to shade the speakers somewhat. If you use passive, I wouldn't be as concerned.

Great advice. But counting on the client to provide the tent is a waste of time. I've seen it happen many times with other vendors (string quartet, etc.) I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen the vendor asking "where's our umbrella/covering?

Actually, I have it written into my contract. They are obligated to provide and if they fail to do so I have the option of providing my own and at an additional $150 fee. Ever since I added this to the contract, with the extra fee stipulation, every single one of them bends over backwards to make certain it's taken care of.

Check out these homemade speaker covers built by DJ Good Steve. They were custom constructed out of Tyvek and had flaps ready to come down in case of rain.

106_0561.jpg

Great stuff!

What do you recoomend for covering the speakers from the hot sun?
If I were you I would invest in a pair of speakers designed for outdoor use. Bear in mind, Enclosures that are sealed are more susceptible to heat buildup and can cause speaker failure. Vented speakers are the better choice. These are excellent for outdoor use. I use my older models in the Texas Sun and don't have to worry. http://www.bose.com/controller?even...sional/on_stage/loudspeakers/802_series_3.jsp
Quote: Durability
Need a speaker that works as hard as you do? The 802 III speakers are now part of our new Installed Anywhere® speaker line, meeting our strictest standards for outdoor use. The transducer has been upgraded to withstand snow, sleet and rain, severe cold, high heat and humidity—the worst that Mother Nature can dish out. The input/output connectors are extremely rugged and reliable, and the sturdy yet lightweight mica-reinforced polyethylene cabinet stands up to severe weather and frequent transporting."

Check out these homemade speaker covers built by DJ Good Steve. They were custom constructed out of Tyvek and had flaps ready to come down in case of rain.
Very practical but conspicuously unappealing to the eye. The garbage bags are the most economical in case of rain. Using those as sun-shields will only add to the heat buildup around the speaker. Some speakers may cope others may not!