Planner stopped the ceremony

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
We had 4 events running this past Saturday. Reports I've gotten back were that all were stellar and I've already gotten a glowing review on my biz FB page from mine. Was talking with one of the DJs from one of the other events. Outdoor wedding and it came a huge storm Saturday. What I was told happened was that the couple were in the middle of their vows and you could see the storm clouds behind them (and moving in fast). At this point it was not raining or lightning. The minister went through his talk then the B&G had written vows to each other. Just as the minister says "At this time our Bride and Groom have vows they'd like to share." our wedding Planner, from the back of the guests, pipes up and tells the minister that "It's about to storm and we need to move it along." Kinda stuns the minister and the couple but he stammers okay, cuts off the vows and finishes the ceremony.

I've had some pretty close calls and times where the minister cranks it into high gear in order to dodge rain but this one sounded out of the ballpark. Have any of you ever run into something like this before?

Reactions: Ausumm
Not like that.
Even with live music at festivals, we at least wait for the rain and/or the thunder to actually START before pulling the plug.

But I did have a ceremony issue myself this weekend.
Like yours, my couple wrote their own vows, and wanted a mic at the gazebo for that reason.
The minister, before the ceremony started, REFUSED to wear my lapel mic...
and said he didn't need to use the handheld, which was on a stand near the front of the gazebo.
(he said he checked it, and someone told him they could hear him just fine without the mic)
So, I leave the handheld on the stand right where I placed it, hoping to pick up SOMETHING.
The officiant walked up to the gazebo, grabbed the stand, and moved it BEHIND him...
and then started the ceremony.
I never heard a word he said, and I didn't hear the couple exchange vows.

The outdoor wedding I was at this weekend, was under the threat of rain as well. At one point we all thought we heard thunder and over half the guest turned around in their chairs to look for dark clouds coming over the venue. Turned out the noise was the lapel mic being worn by the minister, nice combination of wind and rubbing over the fabric.

Not like that.
Even with live music at festivals, we at least wait for the rain and/or the thunder to actually START before pulling the plug.

But I did have a ceremony issue myself this weekend.
Like yours, my couple wrote their own vows, and wanted a mic at the gazebo for that reason.
The minister, before the ceremony started, REFUSED to wear my lapel mic...
and said he didn't need to use the handheld, which was on a stand near the front of the gazebo.
(he said he checked it, and someone told him they could hear him just fine without the mic)
So, I leave the handheld on the stand right where I placed it, hoping to pick up SOMETHING.
The officiant walked up to the gazebo, grabbed the stand, and moved it BEHIND him...
and then started the ceremony.
I never heard a word he said, and I didn't hear the couple exchange vows.

I had the same preacher myself this weekend. Before the Ceremony, I brought him a bodypack/lav to put on. He clipped the mic to his tie, then said he would be putting on a robe and would take care of the rest. I told him "It's already turned on and ready to go. You don't have to do anything. I'll turn the volume up when it's needed." He says "So I don't need to do anything?" and I said "Yes". Come Ceremony time, the mic's dead and the venue operator is pissed at me. I told her what I did and that there were brand new batteries installed. After the ceremony, he pulls the mics off with both me and the venue lady there. The mute button had been pushed (doesn't usually happen by accident on GTDs). She and I both say "Oh, the mic got muted" to which the preacher says "Well nobody told me anything about it." I don't have a problem with a button getting bumped but when the preacher stands there and bold-face lies about it, I was pissed to say the least.

And whaddya gonna do....call a preacher a LIAR???

I have the GTD and yes, I have had a groom accidentally mute the mic. The button is on top and if they push it down, it mutes. However, I have learned to lock the switch since then. :)

Dang it, I'd forgotten about the lock switch. Isn't that inside the battery compartment?

Safety first. I don't see the big issue with this. If that happened with us I would have simply improvised. Once everyone was inside and our gear was safely secured, they could have said what they wanted to say to each other then. Why wait till the last minute and everyone is possibly soaked? Was there a tent outside for the ceremony or was it wide open?

Reactions: Ausumm
The planner stopping the ceremony seems pretty ridiculous to me. Once the wedding starts I think it's your job to mind the volume and the planner's job to sit down and shut up. The officiant is in control at that point. If he and bride/groom want to stand in the rain (aren't there all those songs about it being romantic?) that is up to them. He/she (officiant) is running the show and in charge of the bride and groom, they tell them what to say for pete's sake. They could say "I think we need to take shelter" if they need to. Sometimes planners think they need to be running the show more than they do. Get out of the way and people do their jobs.

Reactions: Ron
The planner stopping the ceremony seems pretty ridiculous to me. Once the wedding starts I think it's your job to mind the volume and the planner's job to sit down and shut up. The officiant is in control at that point. If he and bride/groom want to stand in the rain (aren't there all those songs about it being romantic?) that is up to them. He/she (officiant) is running the show and in charge of the bride and groom, they tell them what to say for pete's sake. They could say "I think we need to take shelter" if they need to. Sometimes planners think they need to be running the show more than they do. Get out of the way and people do their jobs.
Do you care to define what is the role of a planner at an Event? I sense an air of hostility towards planners.

Hahaha...well in the case of the ceremony, the planner should cue the preacher and bridal party on when to walk, cue the DJ to play music etc. You know, coordinate.

In my opinion if there is a preacher to lead the ceremony and a DJ to host, the planner should be giving them information rather than shouting out "IT'S TIME TO EAT GUYS" or "STOP THE WEDDING IT'S GONNA RAIN GUYZ". Like a stage manager. I think the best coordinators like to stay behind the scenes and just make sure everything is organized.

Reactions: Ron and ahoustondj