Photog from last night

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I have no problem with those who collect the balance prior to the event; if that's their terms, then perfectly fine. Just showing that sometimes a person may create a bigger drama over the possibility than what naturally exists. Of course it depends on your market. I am not sure we would carry the same policy in NY as we do in the midwest. That said, we regularly work in SD, CO, MN, WY, WI, IL, and NE so it's not a small local area in which I'm dealing.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Another big factor I feel too is what type of client we're talking about. A client paying 2k is not likely to run off without paying the bill. Obviously it could happen. Just my opinion not very likely.

Another thing is we really don't know why that photographer left after he got a check. Sure it was tacky that they left though.

I have it in my contract that payment in full is required at least 2 weeks prior, but rarely enforce it unless it is a class reunion. I have been burned a couple of times because they are counting on people showing up and paying for their admission fee that night in order to pay me. One I had to file the lawsuit before they paid.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
We did an event for a friend of my partner. The first time was fine. Verbal agreement. The next time a verbal agreement again. Lady claims we agreed on a different price then what was said. Lesson learned. This is a business and to treat it as such.

I have a question here. How many of you have had an event you did and either you didn't get paid anything at all or only part of the money due to you?

I have a question here. How many of you have had an event you did and either you didn't get paid anything at all or only part of the money due to you?

I had one Club owner screw me over, not too long after that he was pushing up Daisies. Basil paid him a visit.

Reactions: Ausumm
I had one Club owner screw me over, not too long after that he was pushing up Daisies. Basil paid him a visit.
I've had I think 3 different times a bar didn't pay me. No real biggie because for the money they were to pay it wasn't worth the trouble. Just keep it moving. One of bars is shut down now.

If you get shafted too often something is wrong. Either you aren't delivering or you are dealing with the wrong people

Jeff

I don't ask to be paid in full (before services are rendered) just like I don't pay ANY service provider before they accomplish the service. If you hired a lawn service to cut and edge your lawn, would you pay them in full before they did a thing? If so, you are an idiot. You (the customer) need to have the incentive for them to do a good job. By holding the money, you hold the influence, so to speak. I have never (and will never) understand why DJs gotta do it differently than other (most all) professionally run service providers.

It's because DJs are providing an ENTERTAINMENT service, which is generally handled differently than say a lawn service. I worked for several Opry artists for a number of years, and they always required half down, with the balance prior to the show starting. Of the guys I saw who tried trusting the promoters, they usually got stiffed and that out of town situation is practically impossible to collect on. We have much the same situation with our work in that we often have payors who live out of town. We also have lots of brides who over-spend and if we give them an easy dodge on paying, they'll take it.

There's another angle I'd suggest and that's your situation is more that the DJ income is gravy money and not something you necessarily depend on. That puts you in a different situation of needing to make sure you get paid so you've made a choice to collect a minimal retainer and trust the clients to be honest. In my case, even though I'm also part-time, my family NEEDS this money so I choose to not take the luxury of being so loose with my collection practice. I also don't like taking the hit when a couple breaks up so I charge a 50% retainer to lock the contract. In my view, this practice has cost me exactly 1 gig and has paid me dozens of times for dates that got cancelled through no fault of my own. You can take a pot-shot at that thought if you want but I view it as a correct business decision. I do DJ work for the money, not for musical chuckles.

Again, it's perfectly your and Val's choice if you feel it's best to operate the way you do. All I would ask is you to respect that way I choose to run mine as well.

Good points Rick. I'd say that music promoters are more likely to take advantage of musical acts than a DJ's clients are. But taking an out of state client to small claims court isn't gonna happen. Lawn services don't have out of state clients.

Reactions: ittigger
We have our final payment due one week prior. From our own experience, it's nice to not have to worry about checks and payments the day of the wedding. Our clients agree as well.

Reactions: ittigger and Ron
The thing is once you finish playing the music for an event you can't take it back. If you don't get paid or only get part of your money then you can't undo the music you played. At best all you can do is try to take them to court if it comes to that and hope you win if you get them there.

Reactions: Ausumm
We have our final payment due one week prior. From our own experience, it's nice to not have to worry about checks and payments the day of the wedding. Our clients agree as well.
I use to request payment due the night of; but switched a few years ago and find having it due 10 days prior a lot less hectic and it has been well received by the clients.