Panoramic shots before/after from last weekend

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
This past weekend I had a basic DJ job with small uplighting (10 fixtures).

BEFORE
IMAG0227.jpg

AFTER
IMAG0224.jpg

This was the Nigerian wedding I'd mentioned in another thread. Ended up coming off nicely, although I had to shift to almost all Nigerian music as they were the only ones who would dance.

I'm trying to figure out how to best use panoramic shots to pitch lighting jobs. The after shot above was taken while they still had the house lights up (everything except the fluorescents) and, my impression, this room needs a full 20 cans to look good. The venue has a bunch of 500-watt cans around the perimeter and some hanging fixtures in the center. These fixtures were still up when I took the "after" shot. The "before" shot was taken just before load-out and obviously, the shot looked at lot better with full-on, fluorescent lighting.

I don't think I can use the above for a pitch. Might go back when the drapery is gone and take a bare room shot. Just wanted to pass this along in the spirit of sharing ideas and ask for your thoughts and comments on how you'd approach the panorama thing.

As you increase the size of your uplight inventory, you may want to start looking at moving to all-in-one LEDs instead of what looks like PARs with many 10mm LEDs. The hotspots are usually less visible with the RGB or RGBA/W higher power LEDs, so you'd get less of a white spot before the color evens out.

Good work on the panoramas.

Are you talking about the white lights against the wall? Those are 500-watt, incandescent cans (the house system). In this shot, most of the uplights are washed out by the house cans. It did look better once the house lights were brought down. Thanks for the input.

No .. purple ones. One of the benefits of the newer all-in-one LEDs is that they tend to mix color a bit better. The older PARs with separate red, green and blue LEDs (that's what I have as well) tend to have uneven color coverage.

I think a nice panoramic shot would look nice as a cover photo on Facebook.
Perhaps spread across the entire width of your website, if you have a page for add-ons or uplighting.

Reactions: rickryan.com
No .. purple ones. One of the benefits of the newer all-in-one LEDs is that they tend to mix color a bit better. The older PARs with separate red, green and blue LEDs (that's what I have as well) tend to have uneven color coverage.

I know that you're correct on the assessment but at this point I don't see replacing 40 fixtures (Chauvet Slimpar 56), just to have the latest and greatest. If I felt it was costing me gigs I'd do it but can't say that I've gotten any hint of that happening to date. BTW, the "hotspot" you're seeing may be the curve in the wall. This is a dome structure with white/plastic walls that bend in as they go up. Here's another event I did there in 2012:

_Lighting_Photobooth_www.RickRyan.com+%252811%2529.jpg

On that gig, I had control of the ambient (house) lights. This past weekend, the house had control. You'll also notice that in 2012, they had the white cans bouncing off the center/ceiling. Now they have their cans aimed at the walls.

Reactions: steve149