Owner is a real idiot!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I am supposed to play at this place this coming Friday that I made an earlier thread about. I don't know now if I'll be playing there or not. This situation with this owner is crazy.

One of the partners needed the cordless mic as he was doing a fashion show this past Friday. I went down and brought it to him. My other partner was supposed to be playing with this other DJ on the radio station at this place. So I get up there to support the both of them. I decided to bring some lights to brighten up this hole in the hall. I get there with the lights and come in when the owner tells me a big lie!

He tells me that they left. That was a lie. My partner called me and I called him back. He told me the owner called this other DJ and told him not to come. So he cancelled it. Then my partner went on to say there were about 10 people outside waiting to get in. I know that's not a lot of people but when this owner is getting through out the night maybe 10 people he should be thankful that at least that many people did show up all at once and let the DJ's do their thing. The DJ that was coming with the equipment is really damn good and uses a setup of 2 Yorkville tops and 1 sub in this place that makes everything I have in the basement sound like a boombox.

This owner should have seen that their were that many people outside all at once and let this really great DJ do his thing to build up on that. Those people might have either called some people to tell them where they are at and have more people come that night. Or come back next week bringing more people because they had a good time. I mean it's worth a shot since most times what he is getting is nothing.

2 big reasons why he can't get customers in the place are this. 1 he won't fix the place up to make it look at least decent. Also including fixing up the bathrooms so people will want to use them. 2nd he doesn't want to give people anything so customers will want to come to the place. Most nights this place is dead. No matter how great the DJ is. On Fridays it's free to get in. He could do a 2 for 1 drink special say from 9-11pm to get people to want to come to the place to build up a crowd. He's so stupid he can't understand that no customers makes him no money. Some customers at least will make him some money.

Before you all beat me up about that suggestion at least think about it. He's having hard time getting customers in the place and he's depending on the DJ's who play there to get him a crowd. It's not happening no matter who the DJ is. So he needs to consider doing something different to get customers in the place.

I'm having my birthday party in the bar in Orange, NJ and will be playing that night. Don't beat me up about me playing at my own party. I don't care any more about partying any more. I just want to play and get paid. So I'll have the party there and get paid at the same time. One great thing about that party there will be a whole lot more then 10 people in the place. It will be packed. 1 because people like the place and 2 when some of thwe regulars see that I'll be there that night playing they will come. My birthday party will be Friday June 6th. It will start at 8pm. Sorry for the long thread but I had to get off my chest how I feel right now about that stupid owner.

Why do you continue to use/have "partners"??
I no longer am good with moving all the heavy equipment any more and while playing I can stand for a while but not 6 hours straight any more the way I used to. I need a break these days and you can't take off for a hour or so at a gig. Besides to tell you the truth I'm not good when it comes to playing tack head music. That's what I call a lot of crap that's out today. That's today's hip hop and r & b. It's not the stuff that I know from back in the day. That's when a lot of the performers had real talent. There you have it.

After all is said and done, you really don't want the gig for two reasons. One you don't like the music format and two you can't physically handle the job.

Nuff said...
This particular gig I don't have to bring a bunch of gear. That's what the other DJ does. The music for this gig is fine. I just hate this owner that isn't very bright. He expects you the DJ to work a miracle in his place and he doesn't want to do SH** to assit you in any way. He's a real Azz hole!

The issue with the music is watching out where we do a gig and for who. I get that when doing a gig all the music needs to be clean. Some clients don't care and would prefer the dirty stuff. Even while at an event we've had situations where they want the hard core version instead of the clean version. It really depends for us what type of event it is and where it is to take place. When the price is right and the event is in the right place, I'll tolerate the stupid stuff of today that you hear on such radio stations like Hot 97 and Power 105.

All I'm bringing if I do it is the new monitor I just bought, my controller, laptops, HD, Pioneer EFX 1000 and some lights. That's it.

Last edited:
Mix .. if you're playing contemporary music, you honestly don't need to know much about it. Sticking with the Top 40 or Billboard Hot 100 will hit the popular ones and having a music subscription with edited versions will allow you to play them without a lot of fear. You should be able to get away with that outside of a "club" experience, where you do need to know the stuff to mix it right and unedited stuff is de rigueur.

It doesn't appear this place is a "club" (regardless of what the owner wants or thinks).

You can always hire some low cost help to move and setup your equipment for far less than it costs you to split with a partner. And there is no need for 6 hours continuous playing .. anywhere.

DJ MixMasterMachoMachoNothingCanMakeMeHappyMan!

Mix in Newark and East Orange you can find store fronts to rent for dirt cheap. Why not open your own little spot that you can cater to the crowd you want. Have house night, disco night and make it a bring your own bottle. You already have a ton of gear that you can put to good use for this. In this thread you called the bar owner an idiot. So take out a small business loan and show him how it's done.

I no longer am good with moving all the heavy equipment any more and while playing I can stand for a while but not 6 hours straight any more the way I used to. I need a break these days and you can't take off for a hour or so at a gig. Besides to tell you the truth I'm not good when it comes to playing tack head music. That's what I call a lot of crap that's out today. That's today's hip hop and r & b. It's not the stuff that I know from back in the day. That's when a lot of the performers had real talent. There you have it.

The 2 challenges you mention, moving equipment and standing hours at a time, do not require a partner. They require a roady and a stool. :)

DJ MixMasterMachoMachoNothingCanMakeMeHappyMan!

Mix in Newark and East Orange you can find store fronts to rent for dirt cheap. Why not open your own little spot that you can cater to the crowd you want. Have house night, disco night and make it a bring your own bottle. You already have a ton of gear that you can put to good use for this. In this thread you called the bar owner an idiot. So take out a small business loan and show him how it's done.
Let me explain things in detail. This owner is a lair. I got there on Friday with some lights to brighten up the place for the party. The owner told me they left.

That's not what happened. He called the other DJ and cancelled it. The other DJ was partly at fault because he had another gig to do that was paying. He should have came and let my partner setup the gear and let him go do the other event. My partner could have started playing on the radio at 9. Then when he was finished come to the spot my partner was to be playing at and setup so he could play along with my partner. So the owner lied.

The real problem here is not what I think this owner should do. The fact is at least 20 people have tried to talk to him about what he should do to get people in the place. When I got there he was shooting pool by himself and there was 4 or 5 people at the bar.

I found out yesterday that my partners girl had 20 people coming to the place. Then my partner told me that when they left there was 10 people standing outside wanting to come in. Since there was no DJ they wouldn't come in. He also told me that the singer Barbara Tucker was coming there to meet my partner. So he blew it big time.

I also found out there was another DJ that is a very nice guy who was playing there. He was doing his thing on Sundays. He told me he was charging him to play there. This DJ since he was playing there regularly asked if he could leave some of his gear there and the owner told him he would have to give him a little money to do that. That's crazy. This DJ was doing his thing from 3-11pm on Sundays and was charging $5.00 so he could get some of his money back that he was paying this owner to play there. He really wasn't making anything.

Again the problem is this owner isn't getting a crowd to come in this place at this time. I heard he did have a crowd coming to the place a while back but it was the wrong crowd. They were tearing up the place. He got them out of there and had to fix up what they tore up. He thinks that by having a DJ in the place that will draw a big crowd. He's looking to get a classy crowd. He won't get it because he won't fix the place up and don't want to give away anything to get a crowd to want to get customers to want to come to the place. The biggest crowd he had in the place was a while back. That was the reunion party for Weequicway. I used to live in that part of town in Newark, NJ. The crowd came because DJ Nieheem Johnson was the special guest DJ. They came there to hear him play. That's the only reason they were there.

The barmaid there one night got into an argument with a customer going off. The customer did call her a B but she was wrong to carry on like she did. The DJ tried to get her to see she was wrong. Last thing is what the owner did to a customer that was lower then low! This lady was in there and ordered some food. She didn't like the way it smelled and told him about it. He fixed her some more and she didn't want that either. He was using some very old grease. Might have been 3 days old just so he could save some money. Instead of him giving her money back, he called the police to get her out of the place. She was outside crying. She vowed she would never come there again and I know she told a bunch of her friends what happened and I know they won't come there after hearing that. Just crazy to me. He could have given her money back and kept this person in good standing. Something like that would have happened to me I would have put him on blast all over Facebook.

Last edited:
It seems as if you never have a gig without drama or partners, it's actual hard to keep track of how many partners you actually have, seems like it's somewhere between 3 and 5

Mix .. If the owner is like that, remember the adage "You can't fix stupid". At the same time, don't fall into the same trap.

There are always issues, always an owner that doesn't see things your way .. it's up to you to decide what being a professional is all about .. and sometimes that's saying thanks, but no thanks.

It seems as if you never have a gig without drama or partners, it's actual hard to keep track of how many partners you actually have, seems like it's somewhere between 3 and 5
It's 2 and what I do doesn't have a lot of drama. I stay away from such things. I'll be there to promote the radio show if it goes down on Friday. We got a surprise 80th birthday party to do on June 7th. It's going to be in a classy hotel. There won't be any drama. The day before that I'll be in the bar in Orange doing my birthday party. There won't be any drama.

... The owner told me they left. That's not what happened. He called the other DJ and cancelled it. The other DJ was partly at fault because he had another gig to do that was paying. He should have came and let my partner setup the gear and let him go do the other event. My partner could have started playing on the radio at 9. Then when he was finished come to the spot my partner was to be playing at and setup so he could play along with my partner. So the owner lied.

Wait .. so you're calling the owner out (because he's not doing what you think he should) but you're saying that the 'the other dj' is only 'partly at fault' for scheduling another event during the same time frame? As a customer (paying or not), I'd be pissed and probably cancel as well if I knew you booked a show over me without a prearranged agreement. I'd also be spreading the word about what you did. It sounds like there's more here than we know.

The barmaid there one night got into an argument with a customer going off. The customer did call her a B but she was wrong to carry on like she did. The DJ tried to get her to see she was wrong.

I'm not sure that a DJ (non employee of said business) has any room to tell an employee (of said business) what their job is (or what they did wrong). In defense of this barmaid, I wonder what you would do if people started cussing at you while you were working.

Last thing is what the owner did to a customer that was lower then low! This lady was in there and ordered some food. She didn't like the way it smelled and told him about it. He fixed her some more and she didn't want that either. He was using some very old grease. Might have been 3 days old just so he could save some money. Instead of him giving her money back, he called the police to get her out of the place. She was outside crying. She vowed she would never come there again and I know she told a bunch of her friends what happened and I know they won't come there after hearing that. Just crazy to me. He could have given her money back and kept this person in good standing. Something like that would have happened to me I would have put him on blast all over Facebook.

Unless you have very specific knowledge of him using 'very old grease', then all you're doing is spreading bad rumors. Also, unless this owner / cook truly did wrong, then they have no reason to refund money and the law will protect them. Would you give money back to someone who used your services but didn't like the way your speakers sound?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard
Last thing is what the owner did to a customer that was lower then low! This lady was in there and ordered some food. She didn't like the way it smelled and told him about it. He fixed her some more and she didn't want that either. He was using some very old grease. Might have been 3 days old just so he could save some money. Instead of him giving her money back, he called the police to get her out of the place. She was outside crying. She vowed she would never come there again and I know she told a bunch of her friends what happened and I know they won't come there after hearing that. Just crazy to me. He could have given her money back and kept this person in good standing. Something like that would have happened to me I would have put him on blast all over Facebook.

There is so much there to deal with I'll just stick to this one....

I worked in several restaurants when I was younger I never seen one change their grease every day and very rarely every week. They strain and add when needed as a a rule.. The ones I worked in had several grease pits too you never cooked fish and fries in the same grease etc there were different pits for different types of food that might be where the problem came in

Wait .. so you're calling the owner out (because he's not doing what you think he should) but you're saying that the 'the other dj' is only 'partly at fault' for scheduling another event during the same time frame? As a customer (paying or not), I'd be pissed and probably cancel as well if I knew you booked a show over me without a prearranged agreement. I'd also be spreading the word about what you did. It sounds like there's more here than we know.

I'm not sure that a DJ (non employee of said business) has any room to tell an employee (of said business) what their job is (or what they did wrong). In defense of this barmaid, I wonder what you would do if people started cussing at you while you were working.

Unless you have very specific knowledge of him using 'very old grease', then all you're doing is spreading bad rumors. Also, unless this owner / cook truly did wrong, then they have no reason to refund money and the law will protect them. Would you give money back to someone who used your services but didn't like the way your speakers sound?
You asked what I would do if someone was to act like that with me. I would simply get on the mic and let the people there know what is going on and can you please get this person away from me. Thankfully I don't have such issues. At least it hasn't happened in many years.

DJ MixMasterMachoMachoTooMuchDramaToGetaGigMan!

What a coincidence that you mentioned a bar in Orange, NJ. I had the privilege to play 2 events at the Apien Way banquet facility in Orange a few months ago. The manager was impressed with the way I handled things and his staff kept dancing while working. Fast forward to last weekend. My wife's family got a killer discount at this same venue on a Saturday afternoon for my father in laws re path ceremony. All because Johnny was a good boy and conducted himself in a professional manner.

If you and your 12 partners would do something similar you won't have to chase these get you no where bar gigs. It's not hard to get gigs in these venues DJMixMaststerMachoMachoMixingMan. Try getting into a good multi op in your area to get better gigs. It works for me. I network with some of the big companies in this area. SCE Event Group, Dash Of Class Entertainment and now Classie Events.

You asked what I would do if someone was to act like that with me. I would simply get on the mic and let the people there know what is going on and can you please get this person away from me. Thankfully I don't have such issues. At least it hasn't happened in many years.

Out of all that .. you pick this? My point was that I doubt you would remain calm with someone in your face - as she seems to have had. If she had a mic, she might have done the same thing as you suggest.

Out of all that .. you pick this? My point was that I doubt you would remain calm with someone in your face - as she seems to have had. If she had a mic, she might have done the same thing as you suggest.
You missed it. I don't have people coming up to me cursing at me. So I don't have such an issue to begin with. If it did happen then it would call for me to act like a true professional. As long as the person doesn't look to get physically with me, then they can say whatever they want. I would use the mic to make them look foolish in front of a group of people.

This barmaid is not very friendly. A lot people who come there don't like her because she has a bad attitude.