Overtime

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Lets just leave it at that everybody is different on Overtime and everybody should charge what they think is a fair price no matter where they are from and should not be told ehat to charge.:sqbiggrin:

See i told you its going to get nasty

mine is bigger than yours thread

i am off to bed again

na make it 250 and be done with it!

My thoughts on overtime is simply this, we're there and have no place else to go.

That makes sense.

Unfortunately, I do have other places to go, even at 1:00 am. So overtime for me is at a higher rate than had you scheduled the time in advance.

If you ask me to stay past the scheduled time, I may have to pay someone else to cover whatever I was supposed to do next.

Even if it was just to pickup some gear - it may mean coming back into the city again the next morning which is more cost and more of my time than if I finish my rounds all in one night.

That is a great rate for a birthday party John! Do you get alot of Birthday events and is it at a hall or someones home?

It's mainly in 2 nice halls in Queens. I am good friends with the owner. She keeps me busy in the winter months. I give her 20% from each event. Most of the events are Sweet 16's, birthdays, anniversaries and small wedding receptions and baby/bridal showers. When it's busy I end up with close to 4 events in one location for the weekend. Friday night, 2 events on a Saturday and maybe 1 or 2 on a sunday.

I was very fortunate to meet her through a Sweet 16 I was hired to DJ back in 2006. The owner heard me spin and asked if I was interested in DJing for her. We ironed out a contract and it's been one of the best deals I ever entered. God is good!

I agree when you're not as well established, your approach is best!

In recent years, I went to a $95 per 1/2 hour OT, but offer the extra hour for $75 to 100 more in the Package.

Its like Costco -- the bigger the box, the cheaper the price (per unit/hour).

Ironic about my idea to get reviews in exchange for free OT.

That was a dumb idea anyway....what was I thinking? (LOL)

Today's a Yelp review was posted by one of my customers (August 16, 2008) ---an event that had only 25 minutes for dancing, and no Overtime was possible! I wanted to stay extra minutes for free, but the venue would not allow even 10 stinkin' minutes of OT.

So from my perspective-- the event sucked a big pole, yet the customer wants to give me a big cyber hug. Looking back, I really hustled my butt off, particularly when the photog tripped my extension cord and pulled the plug on my system, right at the end of the ceremony!

It doesn't really have anything at all to do with how established you are. Charging more per hour just seems too opportunistic to me, and my pricing in general isn't built around that.

If you look at it from the "bigger the box the lower the price" angle, that's how it ends up being in my pricing. 4 hr min pkg goes for $187.50/hr. Each addl hr is only $100 beyond 4hrs, and each hr OT is the same $100. Their "break" is there whether they get OT or not. I don't penalize them for getting an additional hour later rather than sooner.

If you're running a business like a business, all your costs should be covered in your base-rate, OT is gravy and shouldn't be counted on, and charging more per hour for it, in the end, doesn't stem from anything justifiable except on the grounds of stroking one's own ego:) It surely doesn't benefit the client in the slightest to "pay more" for that time. It's just seems too opportunistic and self-serving. My customers are treated and served best by paying the same low rate for one hour of time... Whether it be booked now or at the event. I prefer not to hold their good times and celebration hostage for more money "just because I can."

I'm there to make money, but not at the expense of all else.

To each their own! :sqbiggrin:

If you're running a business like a business, all your costs should be covered in your base-rate, OT is gravy and shouldn't be counted on, and charging more per hour for it, in the end, doesn't stem from anything justifiable except on the grounds of stroking one's own ego:) It surely doesn't benefit the client in the slightest to "pay more" for that time. It's just seems too opportunistic and self-serving. My customers are treated and served best by paying the same low rate for one hour of time... Whether it be booked now or at the event. I prefer not to hold their good times and celebration hostage for more money "just because I can."

...To each their own! :sqbiggrin:

...unless you say so, right?

If you're running a business like a business, all your costs should be covered in your base-rate, OT is gravy and shouldn't be counted on, and charging more per hour for it, in the end, doesn't stem from anything justifiable except on the grounds of stroking one's own ego.
What turnip truck did that logic fall from?

OT is gravy? Labor is gravy? Risk is gravy? Reputation is gravy?

Then again, if one doesn't do anything of value during the first four hours, it's reasonable to assume the fifth or sixth will match it.

What turnip truck did that logic fall from?

OT is gravy? Labor is gravy? Risk is gravy? Reputation is gravy?

Then again, if one doesn't do anything of value during the first four hours, it's reasonable to assume the fifth or sixth will match it.

Ouch. You could put someone's eye out with a response like that! :)

You're right, though. His logic is faulty.

If a Hotel expects me back at 2:00 am to strike a setup and you want to keep me overtime at your party - believe me I'm going to charge you a premium for the last minute schedule changes and extra crew I might need to satisfy the schedule I made based on your previous criteria.

If you booked your wedding in advance only until 4:00 pm and I booked myself for another gig at 5:00 pm somewhere else - you're SOL!

It takes, apparently, some unique mental capacity, that I don't posses to comprehend the generic low value of time.

Or maybe, in order to fully appreciate the value of time, there has to be something else in one's life that establishes a substantial alternate value to base it on. I guess my family provides that for me.

Whatever, I'll just sit here and stroke my own ego, and participate in the opportunistic and self-serving hostage taking, "just because I can."

I won't even have to say "stick 'em up" because their hands will already be "in da ayuh and waving like dey just don't Kay-uh! And when I ask for the contacted OT rate, the clients will scream, OH YEAH!"

SUPER APPLAUSE TO CAP FOR "if one doesn't do anything of value during the first four hours, it's reasonable to assume the fifth or sixth will match it."

I couldn't see that through my terrorist mask.
duct_tape_bandit_2.jpg

For any time over my base 4 hours
if scheduled at contract time $125/hr
if added at the job on the fly $150/hr, but I have refused OT. Once the father of birthday girl (30th bday) kept dropping $100.00 bills on the table asking for time, after 2 hours it was 3:00am I was 1.5 hrs from home, and someone on the other side of the lake was firing a rifle into the air, and I had to be at another job 2 hours away from home by 1:00pm.

For any time over my base 4 hours
if scheduled at contract time $125/hr
if added at the job on the fly $150/hr, but I have refused OT. Once the father of birthday girl (30th bday) kept dropping $100.00 bills on the table asking for time, after 2 hours it was 3:00am I was 1.5 hrs from home, and someone on the other side of the lake was firing a rifle into the air, and I had to be at another job 2 hours away from home by 1:00pm.

Was it Rick?:sqwink:

Was it Rick?
Now that thar is sum funneee shtuff.

Look, I need to apologize a bit for the harsh tone. It was a trimmed down third edit to what was going to be up there first. I'll offer a bit of explanation if acceptable.

When the word or words ego, professional, and businesslike are used in a response, there's a tendency on this end of the screen to wanna jump down someone's throat, boots and all.

Plain and simple, when those words are used as part of what's supposed to be a logical response or argument, it is an opinion based on nothing but an opinion formed by an opinion of what the definition of the word or words ego, professional, and businesslike mean. When someone, anyone, says that what I do or have done for three decades is the result of an egotistical, unprofessional, and non-businesslike approach with the deliberate attempt to harm my relationship with my client, it's no longer forum talk; it's personal! You'd better strap on your guns, pard. I'm acomin' fer ya, peace lovin' fella that I am!

djrox thats no mask thats CAP after a night out with the boys and they get a little kinky

DJ Dennis : Last time I share an after a night out video chat over SKYPE with you again; rat fink, tattle tale, stooley pigeon, blabber mouth that you are.

(Actually, that particular picture was a superimposed one of AMS Albany that DJ Zac took of him after Tim tried to put some moves on DJ Lynn the other night. Thank goodness for duct tape and velcro, eh?)

hahahahahahahaha

thanks Cap now I have to buy a new screen, I just spat out my coffee all over it!!!!