Opinions on this Configuration?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm probably jaded in my opinion of the Live-X series but the boxes I bought (12s) were a big disappointment. They claim 1000 watts but my ears say more like 200-250 watts. They get harsh quick, as soon as you start cranking them and limit lights come on, even with a sub. I'd avoid them and go with something beefier.

The current must haves seem to be EV ETX series, I know they are on the short list to replace my QSC gear with

Looking at buying a new sound system for my main rig. I do mostly weddings and I'm planning on making the jump to active speakers. I know that a lot of you here know far more about sound than I do so what are your opinions of this as a main sytem:

2 EV Live X 15
1 EV Live X 18 sub
I am presently posting a Review of the ETX Series from the EV Roadshow held in Houston Yesterday. Take a look

The Live X are decent at that price point, though the cabinet finish is very fragile. There are alternatives around that price (Yamaha DXR/DXS is a good one), but a notch above that will get you far superior sound (EV ETX, JBL PRX700, RCF, QSC).

So, a lot depends on budget (we all have to live with one) and what your expected use is. A pair of 12s over an 18" sub will sound a little tighter than using 15s on top, but the 15s will be better if they are occasionally used by themselves without a sub.

Reactions: Andy A
Simple q2uestion. What is your budget for those speakers and will you want one sub or 2?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can get the set-up I listed (one sub) shipped to me new for $1,600. I'm not averse to spending a bit more but I had chosen those speakers because I'd read positive reviews from DJs. Since I mostly do weddings, I was thinking that the one sub would be fine. Again, it's my first foray into active speakers so I'm open to hearing everyone's thoughts....

If you have the budget, get a single ETX15SP (shop hard and find one for around $1,100.00), add a set of ZLX12P tops (shop hard and find them for around $630.00 for the pair).

This is one of the set ups I have and it sounds great. I run both the sub and tops in the live mode and cross the tops at 100 hz, all those settings are available in the speakers DSP, no external DSP needed. If you want to stay stereo run both XLRs to the sub inputs and use the sub out puts to the tops.

A single ETX15SP will give you more low end and better quality low end than a pair of EV118Ps. That is not speculation, that is coming from a guy who owns a lot of EV products and is very familiar with their other products he doesn't own :)

Reactions: Loneavenger
I have the ELX 115p's with QSCkw181 sub and get compliments all the time on the sound. I take care of the gear and have padded bags to help protect them. Only downside i've had about the Live X series is that they don't like heat or direct sunlight/heat. Indoors they rock for me. ETX would be my next dream set of tops :)

I run the ELX 12's and the 18's .. no issues (knock wood). I also run QSC actives. Not sure on my next set yet. I am fairly certain the LS801 will be in my future.

The Live X's are a GREAT choice. We have a bunch of them that we use at our smaller events and as monitors. The issue RickRyan had with his was an overheating issue with one of the first batches of live X's shipped out when they were first released. I have since then used mine outdoors in all kinds of situations, direct sunlight in the summer, etc with no issues. They are very affordable, they sound great, they aren't too heavy, Good all around speaker. The main negative with these boxes would just be how easily they get scratched and beat up since the finish really isn't very durable. Make sure you pick up the EV Soft cases for the speakers to help with this.

Reactions: ittigger
Decent boxes as long as you use them for things that aren't to big.. They get decently loud.. but don't plan on doing any concerts with them or outdoor work.. unless the crowd is well less than 100 people..

Reactions: ahoustondj