New tops, need ideas!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Never skim on any system, Ceremony or otherwise. Doing so will result in being lost in the masses. Do your best to be different and stand out from the crowd. Most already sound alike.

Last edited:
Chris Glover, if you only want one, what is your backup plan if the only one you have takes a dump on you at the most critical time?

Reactions: oldschooldj
I always carry two speakers if I am doing a ceremony. As Houston said, if one goes down I have a back up, but also in case the set up requires two. According to the set up it could be better to have a pair of speakers at lower volume to get coverage, than one speaker that is too loud.

Last edited:
Ok so now that I bought two crown xls1500 amps for my peavey tops. I need a cheep passive top for when I need to play music for the ceremony as well. I still have my peavey ipr 1600 amp wich can send 1000watts and 2ohms per 1 channel, 600 watts at 4 ohms per 1 channel or the dreaded 320 watts per one channel at 8 ohms.

I was thinking of buying the peavey pr12 from GC since its on sale for like $170. But I lnow I would be underling powering it at 8ohms round 320watts. But I figured it was only for Cermony music and not the receiption what do I care. This speaker need 400watts program at 8ohms according to peavey. Is this a good route to go with?

Or does anyone have some other ideas. Not looking to spend a lot since this is not my main rig. Only for ceremonies.

Thanx for the help. Oh and i need to do this before Friday like the 18 of oct. Lol

While others here may prefer more power, the PR12 IMHO is more than enough for a ceremony rig. For ceremonies, I have a Behringer PMP550, GTD 2-channel wireless, and use Peavey PR10s, often only 1 speaker is needed. So far, it has been more than enough for ceremonies and has been a good rig.

To be quite honest I didn't even think about that.
Like Oldschooldj/Ray stated, with two deployed you have instant backup plus you will have better coverage with less volume. I would not go smaller than 12". You can always use those same two with a Sub(s) to do other events,

Actually, I wouldn't go larger than 12" for ceremony setup .. you start drawing too much attention to the speakers because of the size. There is little difference between 8", 10", 12" or 15" tops from a midrange/high-end standpoint. The lowest octave of bass just doesn't mean as much from a ceremony system as it does for a dance system. If you compare SPLs, they will be similar and you may lose 5-10 Hz of low end .. not enough in my book to be of concern for that use and you gain the benefit of a smaller, less visible cabinet and lighter weight.

I would typically shoot for a pair of 10" or 12" tops for that purpose .. or maybe a set of Bose Compacts .. another low profile choice for a ceremony system.

Glad I brought this up. Your all have really giving me so good advice to look in to. I need to visited venue b4 sat to see the size of it. Thanx

The key to ceremony or presentation systems, is clarity of the speaking voice. The woofer tends to carry much of that range, since most cabinets cross over to the HF above 2KHz. Smaller woofers (or dedicated mids) will handle that task better. A dual 8" is perfect for the task, as it provides almost the same amount of bass as a 12", with a driver that typically has lower distortion and in a slimmer case.

It's a small venue for this perticlar wedding and they don't need a mic
Remember that this venue may be small but will the next one be? The 12" Pair will be more versatile. There is such a thing as a Volume control. You can always scale down.

That's y I was looking into the peavey pr12 that GC has on sale right for $170. Sine I have a peavey ipr1600 just sitting now.

Reactions: ahoustondj
That's y I was looking into the peavey pr12 that GC has on sale right for $170. Sine I have a peavey ipr1600 just sitting now.

If you like the Peavey boxes, take a look at the PVx 12 (if they have them there) as they
are only a few dollars more ($199 or so) .. IMO a slightly cleaner looking design and they sounded OK when I heard then at the DJ Expo.

Last edited:
I agree with Steve, the PVX12 is a much better looking speaker (it also has a nice wave guide on the horn). The open horn look is kinda like carpet covered, it gives you a very dated looking system. I recommend the 12" because it gives you a lot of flexibility. Your next ceremony could be an outdoor event, where you need a little better cabinet.