New tops, need ideas!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Chris Glover

Active DJ
Jan 11, 2014
Looking to change from my peavey impulse 1012 (12") cabinets (passive) to some 10" powered cabinets. I am currently using the two impulse 1012 with the jbl prx718xlf sub. It all sounds great but wanted some smaller tops since I only use them for treble and mids. So I'm looking for some input on what u guys and gals would recommend?

Depends on budget.

Recommended (by me) 10" cabs include:

Yamaha DXR10
QSC K10
JBL PRX710
EV ETX-10P
ART 310A-MK3
Yorkville E10PB

There are others, but these are all very good performers. The Yamahas will be at the low end of the price scale and the EVs at the top ... prices go from about $400 to $1000 per box.

Reactions: DJ Wes and ittigger
Thanx guys this gives me some ides to look at. Since I'm always running a sub am I ok with running 10's or should I stuck to 12's like I have now?

So I was thinking of selling my impluse 1012 (or keeping for back up) for the prx 710's. Would it not be a good decision ? And to keep what I have. Everything works great with the 1012's was just looking to lose the extra amp. Not that it's a lot extra to carry.

Thanx guys this gives me some ides to look at. Since I'm always running a sub am I ok with running 10's or should I stuck to 12's like I have now?

That's a little tougher. With a sub, I would think either is fine, the 12" tops being able to handle just a slightly larger audience.

Without a sub, a 12" is a bit more versatile. For a speaking only engagement (or ceremony), I think it's a better box. Most can be used as floor monitors if needed as well. I use a pair of 12s for karaoke in a small bar I do, where subs really would be overkill (though nice).

I am planning on a pair of 10s to go with a pair of Yamaha 12" subs for my small system.

Reactions: sonic-vision
That's a good point Steve. Is it true or a roomer that u shouldn't mix brands ? In the case that I'm running Peavey tops and jbl sub

That's a good point Steve. Is it true or a roomer that u shouldn't mix brands ? In the case that I'm running Peavey tops and jbl sub

Mixing top and sub brands isn't so much of an issue, but certainly if you use multiple tops (maybe splayed for wider room coverage), having them sound similar is essential, which is tough with mixed brands.

With subs, the only thing you need to be concerned about is the crossover point.

Reactions: sonic-vision
I don't use a crossover cause the ipr amp has a set crossover point fir full/high/sub. So I set it in high

I guess the question then becomes - is this configuration adequate? The IPR rolls off 100hz and below. The JBL response range is 35hz-87hz.

Last edited:
For a 15" top, I would normally cross over at 90 Hz, for 12", 100Hz .. for 10" 120Hz.

Reactions: drzinc
I like sweetwater. I buy a lot of products from them. And a shout out to my rep Mac. I've been working with him for awhile now , I'll give him a call and ask him about these. Thanx

Yes .. but they are owned by Behringer now. That may or may not be good. [emoji1]

Ok so now that I bought two crown xls1500 amps for my peavey tops. I need a cheep passive top for when I need to play music for the ceremony as well. I still have my peavey ipr 1600 amp wich can send 1000watts and 2ohms per 1 channel, 600 watts at 4 ohms per 1 channel or the dreaded 320 watts per one channel at 8 ohms.

I was thinking of buying the peavey pr12 from GC since its on sale for like $170. But I lnow I would be underling powering it at 8ohms round 320watts. But I figured it was only for Cermony music and not the receiption what do I care. This speaker need 400watts program at 8ohms according to peavey. Is this a good route to go with?

Or does anyone have some other ideas. Not looking to spend a lot since this is not my main rig. Only for ceremonies.

Thanx for the help. Oh and i need to do this before Friday like the 18 of oct. Lol

You should not need anything fancy for a ceremony. A decent 12" top, if you get one that is really efficient 95 db-98 db sensitivity, you will not need a lot of power to push it. Most of the ceremony stuff I do, even outside I bet I don't push over 50 watts to the speaker.

Reactions: ittigger