New Projector

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Jun 19, 2014
I am debating between the Optoma W306ST and the Benq MX812ST (which is a discontinued model, and I already have one).

Any input appreciated. I will purchase by end of day today.

Thanks!

If you want it to project a monogram or similar static data, or provide services for company presentations, go with the Benq, as the 4:3 display is a better fit.

If you want to project video, go with the Optoma, since it is a wide screen display and higher resolution.

If you're wanting it "by end of the day" I would've thought you would have given a bit more info. You didn't mention how much, as those projectors are roughly $400 difference. The benq appears to have USB and perhaps a longer throw, which would be important if you're using it for monogram projection. The Optoma is a shorter throw lens, but no USB, so it would be most useful for slideshow projection but not very fit for monogram duty. Given you already have a Benq, without knowing the other particulars, I'd probably opt for a 2nd Benq.

I haven't done monograms via projectors yet, but definitely will consider it. Mostly used for Wedding slideshows and corporate presentations. When hired for use at a wedding, I love to do music videos.

Both are short throw and available refurbished on e-bay - Benq $697 - Optoma - $799

While I don't like the idea of refurbished, the price difference is almost double for the benq. How anyone still claims to have new models since it (benq model) was discontinued 2 years ago is beyond my understanding, unless they are non-US versions.

The new Benq model is the MX822ST and is $799 refurbished (one year parts and labor warranty). I am thinking I should probably go this route.

I have the two NEC NP60's which I guess I could use for Monograms since they are not short throw, and was considering selling, but they don't have much of a resale value.

Where or how do you place the projector to do a monogram, without getting the stand in the way or guests walking in front and obstructing the image?

Where or how do you place the projector to do a monogram, without getting the stand in the way or guests walking in front and obstructing the image?

I mount it on top of a crank stand with a little platform I built:
IMAG0375.jpg
Take a look at that Epson I mentioned. It's really a good-looking unit that I've seen used in full room light (12' screen).

This is the most versatile Projector Mount I have seen. It is made for Projectors and can be mounted Vertically or Horizontally.
http://csnl.com/drupal/node/1545

PROJMOUNTSM.jpg
vidinterchangable.jpg
PROJCASESM.thumbnail.jpg

vidtripodmttrussing.jpg

I haven't done monograms via projectors yet, but definitely will consider it. Mostly used for Wedding slideshows and corporate presentations. When hired for use at a wedding, I love to do music videos.

Both are short throw and available refurbished on e-bay - Benq $697 - Optoma - $799

While I don't like the idea of refurbished, the price difference is almost double for the benq. How anyone still claims to have new models since it (benq model) was discontinued 2 years ago is beyond my understanding, unless they are non-US versions.

The new Benq model is the MX822ST and is $799 refurbished (one year parts and labor warranty). I am thinking I should probably go this route.

I have the two NEC NP60's which I guess I could use for Monograms since they are not short throw, and was considering selling, but they don't have much of a resale value.

If you get one refurbed .. make sure you can return it if it has dead pixels within a specific timeframe (30 days or such) or at least no more than is described.

Don't the crank up stand get in the way of the image and the guests?

That's an awesome price on a 4500 lumen projector. The throw radio is reasonable too as it seems to be 1:1 , but for rear projection, that can still be an issue at weddings as it forces the screens further out into the room.

Don't the crank up stand get in the way of the image and the guests?

That's an awesome price on a 4500 lumen projector. The throw radio is reasonable too as it seems to be 1:1 , but for rear projection, that can still be an issue at weddings as it forces the screens further out into the room.

The crank stands are typically for monogram projection to get them high enough to display on the dance floor .. and a short throw is not ideal for that. For rear projection, a small table or cart may be better.

I am not a fan of monograms on the dance floor because it usually looks good in one photo of the empty hall, guests notice it as they enter but can't appreciate it when seated or dancing. So an image on the wall on either side of the head table is where I encourage my clients to use the monograms, or just behind the cake table.

This is why I was asking about the projector mounting for monogram projection and thought the crank stand would jut get in the way. But absolutely understand its use for dance floor projection!

Thank you for all the replies and images!

For the dance floor projection, how do you manage to get the image in the correct orenientation, as most of the time, the DJ setup is adjacent to the head table and video image can't be rotated as in a Lyko.

This is why I was asking about the projector mounting for monogram projection and thought the crank stand would jut get in the way. But absolutely understand its use for dance floor projection!

For the dance floor projection, how do you manage to get the image in the correct orenientation, as most of the time, the DJ setup is adjacent to the head table and video image can't be rotated as in a Lyko.

I use crank stands for stability. I use 9 ft cranks to be able to get the projector over the head of guests. Sometimes I'm hitting a dance floor but more often I'm hitting a wall and often times from across the room. The average throw across a room is 50 ft, going up to 100 ft and there are times where I've had to down-size the graphic (increase the black border space) in order to make it fit the wall area being used. Here are some examples (these are 3k lumen projectors):

60ft throw, across the room
r_Lighting_DJ_Disc_Photobooth_Gallatin_Franklin-92.jpg

75 ft throw, across the room
tzvah_Bowling_Clarksville_Franklin_Best%2B%2831%29.jpg

90ft throw, corner to corner
ng_Photobooth_Franklin_Bowling_Gallatin%2B%2865%29.jpg

For dance floor orientation, you can flip the image using the projector but more often than not I'll just stick the USB drive into a laptop, pull up windows explorer, then use that to flip the image to the orientation I need it at. Where possible, I avoid floor monograms. 3k projectors often don't have enough punch to really make them look good on a lot of the floors around here, IMHO.

Reactions: steve149