Need notebook computer recommendations

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ WebGuy

New DJ
Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma City
fb.me
Hey everyone. I've been using an HP notebook (a fairly expensive one) that runs Windoze Vista (horrible, horrible OS) and Virtual DJ.

Vista is so horrendous I usually cannot completely scan my MP3 folder for BPM without Windows crashing. To complicate things, I've let my wife use this PC to do the stuff she needs to do like filing our taxes online and surf facebook. BIG MISTAKE. One I won't make again. Between the viruses and other crap that this notebook has picked up, my only real option is the blank the drive and reinstall the OS. Problem is, it will still be Vista which I believe is half the problem to begin with.

I would like to know what models you guys are using and what they cost you when you bought them.

My new notebook computer will be dedicated to ONLY running VDJ and will be password protected to keep unauthorized users out.

If you are happy with the performance of the lappie you have now, why not load a clean install of Win7, and pick up some short $$$ AMD lappie for the wife so she can do taxes and FB surfing? Let the other box pick up the virus'. xf:D It was an exceptionally happy day for me when Vista went away for good.

Best,

Paul

I never had any problems with Vista -- worked fine for me. Still have it on a Dell lappy and an Acer tower.

I wrote a lot of my software on Vista. My guess is, the people in France did not, hence your problems...

Most of the issues I saw with Vista, is it was too complicated for most consumers. Windows 7 is Vista dumbed down for the average user. It's basically the same core, with an interface that's easier to use, and hid many features available in Vista.

Buy a Mac... hehehe xf:D

are you doing just music with vdj? or are you doing video aswell?

Doing almost exclusively music videos. HD works after VDJ gets "warmed up" with my crappy Vista OS, but starting out it is very choppy.

virtual Vista and the Denon HD2500 do not do well but with Windows 7 Eazy Peezy.

I'm guessing I'll go with a Win 7 machine. Just curious if anyone out there in Computer DJ land has a favorite...

If you are happy with the performance of the lappie you have now, why not load a clean install of Win7.

I guess I shouldn't completely rule that out, but for what I would spend on Win 7, a new dedicated notebook just seems like a better investment than patching up this 5 year old HP.

virtual Vista and the Denon HD2500 do not do well but with Windows 7 Eazy Peezy.

I wrote code for the Denons on Vista -- no issues.

Nothing personal Jon, but if you plan on using a computer for a mission critical operation (DJ'ing in front of a few hundred people) -- you best know how to use it. If not, there's always vinyl, and Johnny K could hook you up... ;)

I guess I shouldn't completely rule that out, but for what I would spend on Win 7, a new dedicated notebook just seems like a better investment than patching up this 5 year old HP.

Why go with 7, when 8 is coming out shortly...? Buy a RETAIL copy of Win 7, and if you don't like Win 8, you can put 7 on the new computer. Don't buy an OEM version, it's not legally transferable to another computer.

I have 8-9 year old lappies that work just fine.

its working just fine with the upgrade I cant explain it just going with it since it works. Mission critical and working fine. :tricool:

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1720-17", dual core-vista, an old Toshiba P200-17", dual core-vista and a 2 year old Toshiba Qosmio 18.4" I5-Windows 7, 1GB graphics memory. All three work well and I would recommend Dell or Toshiba without hesitation. We bought a newer Toshiba laptop for our son about a year ago and it's thin and light compared to the older laptops we have. At age 54 I prefer a larger screen, my vision isn't as good as it was when I was younger. If I were to get a new laptop I would look for one with an I5 or an I7 processor, 6-8GB RAM, 500-750GB HD and a decent graphics card. This should last you 5 years as long as you don't drop it.

If you can reinstall Vista back onto your old laptop and use windows update to get all the updates, you can probably use the old laptop for another few years. I don't have a problem with Vista NOW. Back in the day it needed a lot of patches and updates to get it right, now it works great. There are a few features in Vista that I like better than W7.

If you don't have the disc to reinstall Vista then do the following. Control panel=>add or remove programs=>get rid of anything that is clogging things up and bloatware or not used=>run CCleaner-clean up stuff that is slowing your computer down and wipe free space-let it clean the registry several times until it stops finding registry errors=>reboot=>run auslogics defrag and optimze. This will make a HUGE difference in performance. CCleaner and auslogics disc defrag are both free and they both work great.

If you're doing videos, I might think that the graphics card may be a limiting factor, especially if it is using shared memory (which might account for the issues up front as it allocates memory). A Win7 (don't wait for 8) i5 laptop with a dedicated graphics card, 6Gb Ram and 500 Gb drive should be gotten for less than $800 (here's an HP i7 quad, GeForce GT630, 8Gb ram and 1Tb disc for $721: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...stination=review&config_id=7238502&aoid=35252 ).

If you have a student in the house, there's a bunch of back-to-school specials starting with an i5/i7 plus an Xbox for less than $800 as well (need a .edu email address).

I'm leaning towards this one. At this price I can get two and then upgrade them both to 8gb of RAM.

Even with shared RAM on the video card, VDJ works pretty well for music videos on my old Vista notebook. And it only has 2gb of RAM.

That is a great deal for a basic laptop good for surfing the web and email, wp, etc. However, my philosophy has changed on laptops and while I'm always looking for a good deal, I believe it's worth spending $100-$200 more to get a machine with a faster processor and better graphics processor/1GB graphics ram etc. You'll get better performance and it will last at least 3 years. After going from machine to machine and upgrading, I would personally prefer to stick with the same laptop for longer than to change out every one or two years. Learned the same thing about audio gear. The good stuff will last a very long time. It's more expensive, but worth it IMO. This was a hard lesson for me to learn.

$100-$200 more to get a machine with a faster processor and better graphics processor/1GB graphics ram etc.

You may be on to something here.... I'll keep looking.

I'm leaning towards this one. At this price I can get two and then upgrade them both to 8gb of RAM.

Even with shared RAM on the video card, VDJ works pretty well for music videos on my old Vista notebook. And it only has 2gb of RAM.

I have that exact laptop with win 7. Runs well, nothing special. I also have 2 Dell Inspirons one with XP (1525) and one with Vista (1720 I think) neither have been reinstalled in over 4 years and both run well. The Vista machine is actually the fastest I have

When running Vista (64 Bit) on both the AMD and Intel platforms I did not have a problem with VDJ and the HC4500 but, let's remember that the 2500 had a difficult time out in the field. Now with W7 Ultimate on my gig machines I simply don't look back.

Looks like a smokin' deal and quite a step up from the other one. Mo' money, but mo' betta. I prefer a 17" screen, but if you can see well then a 15" should work great. I know 17" laptops are big and heavy, but I've just gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me to lug around a bigger machine. My Toshiba Qosmio with the 18.4" screen is HUGE, but it's awesome. I ain't a chick, but bigger IS better as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how people can use netbooks?