NAMM 2015 - New Stuff

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
And now we have the technology winner from Tascam ...

A brand new dual deck Cassette Player ... Yaaayyyy

202mk6_p_user-650x226.jpg

New from Rane .. 2 Mixers

TTM57 Mk2 Serato Mixer

mkIIFeatureImage.jpg

and MP2015 Rotary Mixer

MP2015_Featured_Pic_2.jpg

New Denon Controller - MC4000
View attachment 28370

Bloody Denon... I am waiting for them to make a controller like this or the 6000 but with a USB input for a thumb-drive and a screen so I can use it if the computer crashes. For now, I'll keep using Mixmeister in conjunction with my Denon DN-S1000's. I actually bought a pair of as-new Denon 1200's just TODAY on Ebay. :) The 1200 added the USB input and midi so they can be used as controllers. Once they ship'em to me, it'll be time to learn VDJ! :)

Reactions: 1 person
One does what one can to stay sane ...

Reactions: Andy A
The two technologies that seem to have gotten a bump are Sub/Satellite speaker systems (seems everyone has a Bose type system on the horizon or out) and headless digital mixers on the live sound side, which may carry over to the mobile jock, seeing as some start at $299.

Alto also introduced a new trim speaker called the Trouper. 8.5" x 29" x 10" - 3 6.5" woofers and a 1" compression driver. 3channels of input and 200w amp. Bluetooth streamable and has pole mount. Might be a nice unobtrusive ceremony speaker. $199 list.

Trouper_Web.png

Alto also introduced a new trim speaker called the Trouper. 8.5" x 29" x 10" - 3 6.5" woofers and a 1" compression driver. 3channels of input and 200w amp. Bluetooth streamable and has pole mount. Might be a nice unobtrusive ceremony speaker. $199 list.

Trouper_Web.png

This is the exact same speaker it appears as the Numark Lightwave ( The numark speaker with built in LED lights on the front ) - but this Alto model just lacks the lights. This Alto model is around $200 , and the Lightwave with LEDS is $250 i believe.

This is the exact same speaker it appears as the Numark Lightwave ( The numark speaker with built in LED lights on the front ) - but this Alto model just lacks the lights. This Alto model is around $200 , and the Lightwave with LEDS is $250 i believe.
Only difference is I might use these (assuming they sound OK) .. and would have a hard time justifying the Numark ones.

I do love the Numark PR statement ... "There are so many situations where people need both great sound and great lighting."

Reactions: Loneavenger
Only difference is I might use these (assuming they sound OK) .. and would have a hard time justifying the Numark ones.

True, although you'll have Evox 8 soon. The only situations i can think about using these Alto's in , the RCF's will be better so luckily you probably won't need to make that decision at all. I could see these Alto's or the Numarks being good for someone just going into a small space and playing a solo show with an acoustic guitar, or a speaking event in a small area

True, although you'll have Evox 8 soon. The only situations i can think about using these Alto's in , the RCF's will be better so luckily you probably won't need to make that decision at all. I could see these Alto's or the Numarks being good for someone just going into a small space and playing a solo show with an acoustic guitar, or a speaking event in a small area
Correct .. I personally have no use for these.

What is the benefit - cost and configuration of a headless digital mixer? You have the cost of the headless unit + the cost of the device connecting to it (which generally is not cheap either). So the good old fashion mixer for x amount .. or the headless one + cost of device to control it. Am I the only one not seeing this? Show me the light.

What is the benefit - cost and configuration of a headless digital mixer? You have the cost of the headless unit + the cost of the device connecting to it (which generally is not cheap either). So the good old fashion mixer for x amount .. or the headless one + cost of device to control it. Am I the only one not seeing this? Show me the light.

They are assuming you already have the device used to control it for other purposes anyways, therefore making the cost half ( If you do actually have the ipad, etc already )

Reactions: ittigger

Benefit is you can locate the mixer where the inputs are (on stage) and run it from whatever location makes most sense. You avoid snakes, keep signal lines short and can adjust settings from the audience.

For me, a small unit (like the ones coming from Behringer and others) allows me to bury the unit in the back of my rack and still have access to all the DSP processing for mics and such.

Reactions: ittigger