My first 5K run lead

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Tent with Flaps, Power (AC/DC) requirement, License (Noise Ordinance)

You may need more than 2 speakers for coverage depending on how things are set up.

You may need more than 2 speakers for coverage depending on how things are set up.

They said "150 people". Gee, you don't think they were LYING or anything, do you? ;)

It being that early, I'd probably just use the Bose and plan on running it off battery.

They said "150 people". Gee, you don't think they were LYING or anything, do you? ;)

It being that early, I'd probably just use the Bose and plan on running it off battery.

It's not so much how many, but in outdoor events, people tend to be very spread out so you almost need circular coverage at times .. especially for announcements, start times, etc.

Reactions: Jeff Romard

Outdoor coverage for 150 people is far different for Indoor Coverage of 150 people. For a start, at least double the amount of equipment/power you will normally use indoors for 150 people.
Are those 150 people outdoors going to be standing still all in one place in front the speakers? Are you going to be on an elevated stage or at Ground Level. What is the farthest projection point away from your setup?

All valid points, this one may or may not be a learning experience for you, these are the events that you have to meet with the planner committee before you quote, I guarantee they have no idea what they really need, the Bose outside for 150 people won't be enough. and yes make sure you have something in your contract about them providing protection from the elements, I do a couple of these every year, 150 seems like a really small number, I am in a town of less than 3000 people and our 5k draws 700 - 1000 people, I supply finish line trussing, sound system with 8 -10 speaker at various locations around the staging area and finish line, an assortment of wireless mics, pre race warm up music, post race cool down music. and a ton of lighting as our is a nighttime glow run.

I've done these before too. You really only need to cover the finishline area and support staff staging area. If it's a color splash type of 5K, bring a countdown of some sort so they can throw the colored chalk up in the air in unison. Makes for much cooler pictures.

If it's a color splash type of 5K, bring a countdown of some sort so they can throw the colored chalk up in the air in unison.

Also bring DJ gear that you don't ever plan on using again. That colored chalk ends up EVERYWHERE. :)

Outdoor coverage for 150 people is far different for Indoor Coverage of 150 people. For a start, at least double the amount of equipment/power you will normally use indoors for 150 people.
Are those 150 people outdoors going to be standing still all in one place in front the speakers? Are you going to be on an elevated stage or at Ground Level. What is the farthest projection point away from your setup?

Or if the wind is in the wrong direction 3-4X the gear

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
Well, since I haven't heard anything back I think it's fairly safe to assume that my price blew them out of the water. I'm frankly glad of it as I strongly suspect the 150-person number was likely bogus. I'm glad to not have to spend a bunch of time, phone calls and meetings to discuss something for which they're only willing to spend $300.

We did a few of these this year -- 5k/10k, fundraiser walk, etc. One had 4000+ in attendance, and had a short speech by a senator. Power was generator for one and line for the other -- both worked great. We required the larger Honda inverters for the generator one. Didn't use any wireless speakers, but had hundreds of feet of cable and a number of speaker locations around the grounds.

Provided announcements, mics for speaking, and music throughout. Nothing but compliments!

Go loaded for bear Rick...I live in a relatively small area and some of these walks get 500-600+ at them the very smallest would be 200+