My Danley TH-118 review

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Gaffle

DJ Extraordinaire
May 17, 2008
www.channelliveproductions.com
http://blog.channelliveproductions.com/2010/05/26/-danley-th118-review-.aspx

DanleyTH_118a.jpg

I just got it yesterday. My concern now is whether or not the 2500 bridged-mono watts from the QSC PL 325 is enough or not.

Considering the specs on this sub call for 1800 watts RMS and 3600 watts program... should I be looking for more power?

I'm considering the bridged-mono specs of the following amps:

EV CP3000s ~ 3200 watts @ 1kHz
EV CP4000s ~ 4500 watts @ 1kHz
Crown iTech 4000 = 3600 watts
QSC PL 340 = 4000 watts

What do ya'll think would be the best amp be?

NICE!!!!!!!!! Are you selling your TH-115 to fund TH-118 #2? :sqbiggrin:

Anyone that hasn't heard properly designed horn loaded subs yet may not want to until you have the funds to upgrade. They produce the actual bass notes without adding all the distortion that you used to think was part of the bass. After you hear them you will hate your subs. :sqmad:

Scott

NICE!!!!!!!!! Are you selling your TH-115 to fund TH-118 #2? :sqbiggrin:

Anyone that hasn't heard properly designed horn loaded subs yet may not want to until you have the funds to upgrade. They produce the actual bass notes without adding all the distortion that you used to think was part of the bass. After you hear them you will hate your subs. :sqmad:

Scott

LoL... I already sold them. That was the prerequisite to me getting the TH-118.

:sqwink:

http://blog.channelliveproductions.com/2010/05/26/-danley-th118-review-.aspx

DanleyTH_118a.jpg

I just got it yesterday. My concern now is whether or not the 2500 bridged-mono watts from the QSC PL 325 is enough or not.

Considering the specs on this sub call for 1800 watts RMS and 3600 watts program... should I be looking for more power?

I'm considering the bridged-mono specs of the following amps:

EV CP3000s ~ 3200 watts @ 1kHz
EV CP4000s ~ 4500 watts @ 1kHz
Crown iTech 4000 = 3600 watts
QSC PL 340 = 4000 watts

What do ya'll think would be the best amp be?

I'd also listen to the QSC PL380.

I'd also listen to the QSC PL380.
I keep getting that suggestion BUT I believe that amp calls for a 30 amp circuit for full power (I'm afraid I'd run the risk of tripping circuits). It also only does 2500 watts per channel when running in dual-channel mode which puts me right back at the same power as the QSC PL325. Bridge-mono mode on the PL380 would probably toast my speaker :sqerr:

I have no doubt that the Danley TH-118 is an incredible sub but why would a mobile DJ want such a power hungry beast? I always look for efficiency first due to power requirements.

Name 1 speaker that's more efficient than the TH-118... It's sensitivity is 108dB 1w @ 1m.

Now the JBL SRX 7x8 series with their 98dB 1w @ 1m is a power hungry sub. A great sounding sub but not very efficient to get to high volume. (experts, correct me if I'm wrong)

I have no doubt that the Danley TH-118 is an incredible sub but why would a mobile DJ want such a power hungry beast? I always look for efficiency first due to power requirements.

For any event 300 people or more! :sqwink:

2500 RMS is some serious power for a single scoop. The 108 dB sensitivity rating is very good for a sub cabinet. Give it a run with the amp you have. You may find that it's sufficient for your needs.

Reason I post this, it's disheartening to see folks buy things they don't need. :)

2500 RMS is some serious power for a single scoop. The 108 dB sensitivity rating is very good for a sub cabinet. Give it a run with the amp you have. You may find that it's sufficient for your needs.

Reason I post this, it's disheartening to see folks buy things they don't need. :)
Good point... instead of spending $1200+ on a new amp, I can get another sub. 2 is number of subs I ultimately want anyway.

Name 1 speaker that's more efficient than the TH-118... It's sensitivity is 108dB 1w @ 1m.

Now the JBL SRX 7x8 series with their 98dB 1w @ 1m is a power hungry sub. A great sounding sub but not very efficient to get to high volume. (experts, correct me if I'm wrong)

No doubt that is one efficient cabinet but why can't they use a more efficient driver? :rofl:

I just saw the spec's and they claim 143 dB max SPL. Looking at those numbers, one PLX bridged to run it seems reasonable. However, they seem to be taking their efficiency and output numbers at 134 Hz. I would like to see those numbers at 100 HZ.

No doubt that is one efficient cabinet but why can't they use a more efficient driver? :rofl:

I just saw the spec's and they claim 143 dB max SPL. Looking at those numbers, one PLX bridged to run it seems reasonable. However, they seem to be taking their efficiency and output numbers at 134 Hz. I would like to see those numbers at 100 HZ.

Those subs are in a whole other league.....Most of the dj's on here will never see or hear a Danley sub...(or be able to afford one) :sqlaugh:

Amp power is cheap! Feed the beast!

At 16ohms my 2205j 15" JBL is 97dB 1w @ 1m. I would like to try it out in another cabinet other than the scoop.

Here is a sub comparable to the Danley in specs and price (Very expensive)
http://www.bgw.com/subwoofers/m2200t.asp Now thats a beast! I have one of their amps and they are solid!

At 16ohms my 2205j 15" JBL is 97dB 1w @ 1m. I would like to try it out in another cabinet other than the scoop.

Here is a sub comparable to the Danley in specs and price (Very expensive)
http://www.bgw.com/subwoofers/m2200t.asp Now thats a beast! I have one of their amps and they are solid!
...did you say something? I was too busy looking at your avatar :sqlaugh:

Bass is like horsepower, it's very hard to reach a point where it's too much. :sqbiggrin: I'm pushing 1,500 watts in each of my Growlers and now I want another pair. :sqcool:

Gotta disagree... many people like my wife are VERY SENSITIVE to bass frequencies. Lots of folks make fun of the Bose for being light on bass ( and compared to many systems they are ) but my wife can't even handle the bass that comes from a 1 stick, 2 bin combo.... a 4 bin combo - which I have - would probably physically make her feel pain.

And personally I hate too much bass. I can handle it, but I don't like it.