Mixtape DJ Business Cards

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
No, my exposure to cassette tapes came from buying them and using them, recording over them etc.

And it's no surprise to see the old timers liking your post. Makes them feel powerful. lol

While you may have had a specific agenda to buy and use cassettes, most people do not .. and have not since the early 90's.

Strike! Another arrogant Yank. What a day! Jesus.

It's not about technological advancement. It's about cultures that linger. That happens in all countries. When CDs came out, do you think people IMMEDIATELY threw out their tapes? Nope. Hence why youngsters still totally know what they are. If they do not, then I would question the intelligence of the child, not the obscurity of dated technology.

And our point is that this 'lingering culture' you describe .. isn't happening and doesn't exist here. The majority of 'youngsters' here grew up with iPods. Could there be some rare people using them? Sure .. but it's certainly not common - and if anything, they're nothing more than home / personal use items. No one 'rocks out' with cassettes.

1995 - 75% of music sales were CD

Therefore, someone that is 29 was 10 years old then. You think a 10 year old doesn't listen to music? LOL.

You think 10 year olds were buying cassettes? If so, did they get the money from their full time jobs? If the answer is no, then the parents most likely bought a CD version of whatever it was (if available).

I think you are seriously over-estimating the value of history lessons from a then 10 year old.
You are also over-estimating the value of a cassette to a DJ. The history of professional DJs is performing with vinyl, CDs, and digital media. The cassette has never been used by a professional DJ for anything but archiving, save but, the multi-op mobile DJs who used it for piracy (U.S.) and duplicating (Canada et. al.) until the CD-R came along.

...an opinion not a fact - from someone who's been a DJ longer than you've been alive.

I agree with all of this, except for the mobile dj piracy / duplication statement. Plenty of us bought them and used them properly. The musical medium didn't go from record straight to CD. It went from record to cassette to CD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cap Capello
While you may have had a specific agenda to buy and use cassettes, most people do not .. and have not since the early 90's.

And our point is that this 'lingering culture' you describe .. isn't happening and doesn't exist here. The majority of 'youngsters' here grew up with iPods. Could there be some rare people using them? Sure .. but it's certainly not common - and if anything, they're nothing more than home / personal use items. No one 'rocks out' with cassettes.

You think 10 year olds were buying cassettes? If so, did they get the money from their full time jobs? If the answer is no, then the parents most likely bought a CD version of whatever it was (if available).

I agree with all of this, except for the mobile dj piracy / duplication statement. Plenty of us bought them and used them properly. The musical medium didn't go from record straight to CD. It went from record to cassette to CD.

With a few DAT or mini-disc users thrown in (at least for recorded stuff).

Reactions: ittigger
Ok, you just don't understand what 'lingering culture' means, so I will not even bother to reply until you do.

As Google doesn't seem to know about "lingering culture" either (other than a song by Formula Fiction), maybe you can explain what YOU mean by it.

Reactions: ittigger
Don't think! Be sure. ;)

See .. that's one of them snarky comments and not a really helpful one. You only mentioned lingering culture when you said "Ok, you just don't understand what 'lingering culture' means, so I will not even bother to reply until you do."

You said something earlier about cultures that linger (which isn't necessarily the same thing), but maybe that's what you meant.

Regardless .. I am not aware of a "cassette culture" .. especially one that has lingered somehow. There may be some folks that buy books on tape or similar, but if one follows the statistics, 20 years ago was about the end of any cassette impact, which would put someone who remembers using them at around 30 .. coming full circle to where this derail started.

Reactions: DJ SVO and ittigger
I have DJed since the 1970's and have never used a cassette tape at an event. Mainly because even with the best quality tapes and players ( Nachamichi spelling) I could not get the quality sound I wanted. I did use them in my car, or my getto blaster (boom box in HS).

Wow! Al Green is what this board needed. Homie loves to debate. New members always bring new fun. Welcome to the board Al.

John .. we've got to work on your definition of fun ... :)

Wow! Al Green is what this board needed. Homie loves to debate. New members always bring new fun. Welcome to the board Al.

There's nothing wrong with a debate. There's plenty wrong with a debate with no knowledge. If you're here to learn, you can hardly debate what you don't know.

Reactions: DJ JohnThe1
I think Algren, just had a bad couple of days where he felt argumentative. Most of his early post where like most of us, a little opinionated, but he seemed to genuinely ask for some help.

Chalk it up to a bad day and move on.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now wait till I add my 5c worth

Reactions: Dan The Man