Mixtape DJ Business Cards

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
Saw these .. might be cool. Double side card with each of the designs shown for the back (1/5 each) and a "song list" side with your info. $40 for 100, $150/600

http://us.moo.com/design-templates/..._medium=ad&utm_content=297&nan_pid=1807751344

mixtape.jpg

If you look, all the covers are knock-offs of the originals (TDK, etc.) .. I'm guessing they weren't given permission to use real photos.

Why do old guys buy corvettes? Why do young guys txt instead of socialize? Why do girls go to the bathroom in groups? Why did Steve buy a new car? Why is Mike awesome (Ausumm)? Why does the earth spin round?

Some questions can never be answered.

Why do I see dead people? Why are my hobbies so much fun and expensive? Why do we love the older stuff? Because we lived through it and enjoyed every second of it. Life goes on, it's up to you to make it fun.

You old timers really don't have a grasp of anything in the world. Twenty-five years ago, hell even 15 years ago, tapes were around. I'd say that anyone under 7 years old may not know what they are looking at, not 30, but then 7-year olds are not your typical clients.

Why do old guys always try and make themselves part of a clique by alienating young people? It's pretty sad.

Truth is that even if things are not used nowadays, people still know what they are and what they were used for. And no, not because of wikipedia, but because these things are out there in society, in people's houses, being used by people, and as such the human brain questions everything it sees and that's how the younger generation knows so much. It's old timers that have no idea what modern technology is, that's the only truth. It's always funny when I hear the term "app" being mentioned and I see an old timer's face look all confused and helpless (and that's not even a terribly modern term).

I wonder from the other side of the coin - how many of this 'new generation' would be able to function if all this 'modern technology' stopped working.

You old timers really don't have a grasp of anything in the world. Twenty-five years ago, hell even 15 years ago, tapes were around. I'd say that anyone under 7 years old may not know what they are looking at, not 30, but then 7-year olds are not your typical clients.

Why do old guys always try and make themselves part of a clique by alienating young people? It's pretty sad.

Truth is that even if things are not used nowadays, people still know what they are and what they were used for. And no, not because of wikipedia, but because these things are out there in society, in people's houses, being used by people, and as such the human brain questions everything it sees and that's how the younger generation knows so much. It's old timers that have no idea what modern technology is, that's the only truth. It's always funny when I hear the term "app" being mentioned and I see an old timer's face look all confused and helpless (and that's not even a terribly modern term).

Why do youngins try to be smarmy and alienate older folks .. the world may never know ...

Maybe "across the pond" they lingered, but around here, they weren't really used after the very early 90s. I know my kids had them when they were real little, but then CDs took over (Sony had an entire line of small CD Walkmans .. smaller than their cassette players). So maybe it was 25 years ago and not 30 ...

Last edited:
I had tape players in my cars, when Cd changers became available for the automobile I had one installed but kept the tape player in the dash as it was still impossible to make a compilation of different artists the way I wanted it with CD's (At home I had a Pioneer 100 CD changer). Once CD-R's were available the game changed. But as mentioned in other topics I still have my tape players down here and in Houston as well as brand new tapes.

I still have one as well .. Nakamichi BX2, with the belt-drive replaced by a direct-drive system from a higher-end Nak. It hasn't been used (other than making sure it was functional about 5 years ago) in 15 years+.

Sorry. but you're youth and inexperience are showing. :)

Tape cassettes may have still been around 15 years ago - however, a 7 year old would not have noticed them. By that time, nearly all children's toys featuring sound were built around ROM chips so, a 7 year old child would have grown to that age never needing to insert a tape into anything. Wollensaks, film-strip projectors, and slide shows had already left the classrooms and been replaced by video projectors. Your teachers would never again assign a student to the task of advancing the images when the tape cassette goes "beep." Cassette sales were reduced to singles while CDs filled the store bins.

Your only real exposure to cassette tapes probably came from your parents old car - equipped with a stereo & cassette player. My kids thought it was a place to store spare change and shorted out the whole radio. Those kids are now in their twenties - so your 7yr old reference is off by more than a decade. :)

Hang out at some yard sales and listen to how many teenagers pick up a cassette player or Walkman and ask: "what is this?"

No one is trying to alienate young people. I can assure you that what I lack in youth I more than make up for with immaturity.

Last edited:
No, my exposure to cassette tapes came from buying them and using them, recording over them etc.

And it's no surprise to see the old timers liking your post. Makes them feel powerful. lol

inigo.png

I think "old timer" is a perfect description of someone who buys, uses and re-records cassettes when far superior technology has existed for at least 25 years.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Typical American. Thinks every other country in the world is like 'murica.

I apologize .. I didn't realize how technologically deficient it is over there.

At 42 going on 43 well I've lived, learned and enjoyed life. You need to learn to enjo0y the small things. Then the bigger picture will be nicer.

Reactions: ittigger
Strike! Another arrogant Yank. What a day! Jesus.

It's not about technological advancement. It's about cultures that linger. That happens in all countries. When CDs came out, do you think people IMMEDIATELY threw out their tapes? Nope. Hence why youngsters still totally know what they are. If they do not, then I would question the intelligence of the child, not the obscurity of dated technology.
318px-Picard-facepalm_zpsc758535d.jpg
LOL!!!

Reactions: ittigger
Strike! Another arrogant Yank. What a day! Jesus.

It's not about technological advancement. It's about cultures that linger. That happens in all countries. When CDs came out, do you think people IMMEDIATELY threw out their tapes? Nope. Hence why youngsters still totally know what they are. If they do not, then I would question the intelligence of the child, not the obscurity of dated technology.

I don't disagree .. but CDs came out in 1982. I had my first player in 1984. I bought my last pre-recorded music cassette a couple of years later .. and when not at home, used a cassette adapter to play a Sony Discman through the cassette player that unfortunately came in my company cars until the mid 90s. The last mixtape I made was almost 25 years ago.

My kids had some Disney tapes when they were young (pre-1995), but that all went to CD at that point .. so it's been 20 years since any cassette tape has been bought here.

So while I agree than we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater (Is that a Yank expression?), the baby also grows up.

While there were people buying cassettes (primarily because cars didn't have a CD as standard equipment until late in the 90s) CD sales were 20% of music sold in 1986, 25% of music sold in 1987, outpaced the Cassette by 1992 (52%), by 1995 they were more than 75% of music sales. So .. yes .. cassettes were being sold .. but not as the primary music vehicle.

Remember, your first post in this thread pissed on (I think that's a British term) DJ_MJ when he said "I may have to splurge on some.....but anyone under 30 will wonder what the hell they're looking at." Given that a 30 yo would have been at a point where they remember much of anything around the time that CDs accounted for 75%+ of the market, statistics kind of back him up.

And I wasn't a DJ in the 90s .. just someone who liked music.

1995 - 75% of music sales were CD

Therefore, someone that is 29 was 10 years old then. You think a 10 year old doesn't listen to music? LOL.

I would say anyone under the age of 10 might wonder what the hell they are looking at, not 30. That's just moronic.

I think you are seriously over-estimating the value of history lessons from a then 10 year old.
You are also over-estimating the value of a cassette to a DJ. The history of professional DJs is performing with vinyl, CDs, and digital media. The cassette has never been used by a professional DJ for anything but archiving, save but, the multi-op mobile DJs who used it for piracy (U.S.) and duplicating (Canada et. al.) until the CD-R came along.

...an opinion not a fact - from someone who's been a DJ longer than you've been alive.