Weddings Millennials: Society Will Be Just Fine Without Marriage

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Well, odds are I'm one of an extremely small group here that can actually speak to this topic. Being born in '81, I'm one of the oldest of the Millennials (and can also be considered part of the "gap generation" between the X'ers and the Millennials).

Here's the deal. Many of us are choosing to put off marriage for a variety of reasons. For some it's paying off student loan debts, establishing a career or realizing that it's not the 1950's and we can find our spouse after we leave our high schools and colleges. There are also many acceptable options available to us now, co-habitation being one of them, which you'll find a lot in the bigger cities where costs of living are higher.

Reactions: ittigger
There's no cause for concern at all... The page itself lays out the problem with the data, responses to the societal questions and responses to the personal questions were not in line. Many of the respondents who said society would be fine if people aren't focused on getting married and having children as a priority were themselves married or wanted to be married.

"Society is just as well off if people have priorities other than marriage and children."

I personally think prioritising marriage and children above anything else is detrimental to society. Education and/or career stability should be prioritised first as it will give you and your child a more stable future. My parents are both highly educated both with Master's degrees before I came in to the picture and with my mom finishing her PhD early in my childhood, their education and career stability shaped me... From a young age I sought a career not a job following the model my parents laid out and I live a happy and successful life.

Had their main priority been marriage and children their lives, and mine, would have been totally different I'm sure of it.

Still plenty of people getting married and you can also factor in many States opening up the legal option for same sex partners to marry. The wedding 'industry' will be just fine.

Nick, I'm curious... Did you go for the Master's degree or PhD?

In my parts, there are still plenty of couples 'taking the plunge' as well. Many woman 'need' commitment' from their man, so I am not concerned. If we left it up to the guys, there would hardly be anyone getting married or babies being born...

It all comes down to planning the right way. I almost got married... to the wrong person and was fortunate enough to realize this was not going to work out. Currently my GF lives with me, no plans for marriage and we both made the decision of not having kids, main reason is what's happening around the world. However, my personal reason is I'm a Type 1 diabetic, and to me the possibilities of my child developing diabetes are at 99%. Personally I can't imagine putting that burden on someone at the time when the whole world is in turmoil and many crisis will come before everything is done. That's just me and I do not judge or blame people who have diabetes and have kids.

I made a plan for my life and as mentioned before the plan went out the window as I have been successful beyond what I had ever dreamed of. My parents taught me everything they could to do things the right way. Life has it's ups and downs however in my case the ups have overwhelmed the downs. Many questioned my specialty when I decided to go into it. The results have been a blessing and have made a lot of eyes pop open.

While a lot of people may not get married they still love to party so I think DJ's should not worry about it. Some situations may be awkward due to many changes that are taking place in our society, but the key is to respect, learn and adapt to be successful in whatever you do.

I'll bet many more people thought things were going crazy in the 60s/70s with communes, free love etc.

Society changes things over time. Marriage isn't going anywhere in the future we belong to

>>>>Had their main priority been marriage and children their lives, and mine, would have been totally different I'm sure of it.<<<<

True, but not necessarily worse... At whatever age (and if and when) you decide to have children, you will find that this is true-- your life is changed forever, you can't do everything that you want to do, all of the time, and (if you are a good parent and spouse)-- family comes first.

GJ

True, but not necessarily worse... At whatever age (and if and when) you decide to have children, you will find that this is true-- your life is changed forever, you can't do everything that you want to do, all of the time, and (if you are a good parent and spouse)-- family comes first.

GJ

Oh absolutely and hopefully anyone going in to parenthood realises that.

I do not want children because I like my lifestyle and I like having dual-incomes with no kids ;D

Oh absolutely and hopefully anyone going in to parenthood realises that.

I do not want children because I like my lifestyle and I like having dual-incomes with no kids ;D

We used to call them DINKs.

Reactions: ittigger
The Jackson's were DINKS for 13 years, we waited till we were in our mid 30's to have children. I was deployed way to often and had a very high stress job to start earlier. We were also very selfish in liking our lifestyle at the time :)

Wish I had not waited, as because of world issues, I spent even more time deployed after I had kids. My wife is the real hero in our family. She taught full time and raised two kids with disabilities while I fought wars, she had the harder job. I will go to my grave knowing she is the best and most famous person I ever met in my lifetime!!

I would not trade my time with my children for anything else in the world. They are the source of my biggest sorrows (I lost one daughter at 4 years of age) and they re my biggest delight. All the things that you think are more fun and easier, while maybe being easier, are definitely not more fun than kids.