McWeddings - huh?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
G

What does “McWeddings” and “Would you like Fries with that Cake Cutting” mean?

This is such an awesome phrase. It means I have a chance to dispel a yet another myth or two.

They are word-pictures that are recently being popularized by Mr. Merry more than likely to invoke an emotion of inadequacy in a product decision. Or at worst, they are being used to incorrectly associate “template” to the reality of a customer-designed event. This latter descriptive would be supported by recent phraseology like: “A DJ you recently spoke to states he’s done over 1,000 weddings, yet in reality he’s only the same wedding over a thousand times.”

I’ve got about 900 events under my belt and honestly, no two have even been remotely close to similar - unless one chooses to insult two people with their family and friends celebrating as cloning an event. There are easily another 1,700 jocks under this banner that will claim the exact same thing. McWedding, pfft. The shared knowledgebase of business efficiencies and field experiences would easily demonstrate there are more pro-am DJs out there providing a McWedding than a one provided by CM.

Cloning, well now…

Larry’s thread regarding Peter’s book was simultaneously cross posted to ProDJ the same date as ours was and didn’t quite take off. Maybe because I didn’t poop in it, or maybe because Peter hasn’t pooped in that one, yet. Either case, DJTeddyBear elected to post his own rendition of the book/seminar promo. In that new thread, someone else elected to spout-off about franchising. Specifically, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about a totally hilarious Merry Weddings Franchise to answer Complete Music.
Could we be witnessing the beginning of a Merry Weddings Franchise?
Peter's answer to companies like Complete Music?
Hmmmm...
This was gut-busting funny.

Until TeddyBear elected to say “Peter doesn't have to stoop so low as to sell his name in that manner.”

Stoop? Selling a name? We are talking about a franchised model that was based upon a working model, not a theory. A working model that opened in ’73, branched in ’77, and franchised in ’80. A model with 10 years operational experience of operations before Teddy even opened his doors.

A franchise that is now 30 years in operation. An organization operating with over 165 owners, none of which have the time nor desire to fiddle with the petty bickering that are played out daily on that board. This is an organization that handles entertainment for close to an easy 100,000 dances nation-wide. That is 100,000 dances of field experience and regional marketing research that is just a small portion of the company’s core competencies - core competencies that span the entire nation. A model that fits where it is integrated into or locates to.

Just CM alone has these rankings:
Rankings in Entrepreneur magazine 2003-2007
Franchise 500® rank:
#264 (2007); #314 (2006); #302 (2005); #267 (2004); #235 (2003);

Top home based franchises:
#71 (2007); #84 (2006); #82 (2005); #77 (2004); #61 (2003);

Low-Cost Franchises:
#66 (2007); #80 (2006); #79 (2005); #77 (2004); #66 (2003);

America's Top Global Franchises:
#185 (2007); #183 (2004);

This is also a base of operations that has now launched its second franchise. That newer franchise has a projected growth potential for every current owner that dwarfs the DJ service. This second franchise was able to purchase a half a block of real estate and has a two-story structure going up just to dedicate to that venture.

Another poster, -bp-, stated in the humorous context of a MW franchise;
”Just Peter doing what Peter does so well, but taken to the next level.
Really? The only asset Peter Merry posses is an intangible set of credentials and a hunger to do well. Maybe –bp- can explain what story-book he’s reading, but one needs a foundation to stand on to even reach the next. And show me another pro-am jock that doesn’t posses a hunger and refuses to succeed. MW as a franchise isn’t even up to becoming a joking concept. Is MW even through its first year of operations?

MW is a model based upon strategic pricing with the marketing to support it. Sorry I needed to strip the magic off it. So it's still a thoery.

If money is what’s being sought, with an investment of time and a little capitol, I know exactly what campfire to cling to.

I just assume Merry has never heard of the word "tradition."

Maybe he should take up this issue with brides who still hold a certain classic set of values - rather than the DJs who accommodate their wishes.

I do think.......however......that certain types of songs can be eliminated, making your events less Cookie Cutter (hence the term "McWedding")

Stripper music (DJ-MC's Kryptonite).....should never be played under any circumstances. The fact that 80% of all DJs still play this song for garter removal, plays right into Peter's hands!

"The Bride Cuts The Cake".....I've never played this song, but in some parts of the Midwest, its a must-have. Again, this type of cheesy theme must be eliminated to avoid "Would you like Fries with your cake cutting?"

Cheesy songs like YMCA, Macarena, etc.......only reinforce the negative connotations of a McWedding.

Become part of the solution.....not part of the problem!

"The Bride Cuts The Cake".....I've never played this song, but in some parts of the Midwest, its a must-have. Again, this type of cheesy theme must be eliminated to avoid "Would you like Fries with your cake cutting?"

Cheesy songs like YMCA, Macarena, etc.......only reinforce the negative connotations of a McWedding.

With all due respect, why? Why is dealing with a client within their "comfort zone" a negative thing to be avoided? If a certain tradition is a "must-have" then why does it fall on us as an industry to tell people that their tradition is cheesy and should be avoided?

People go to McDonald's, and Pizza Hut, and any other chain because they are comfortable with the product. They know what they will get, and they get it every time.

Do I do McWeddings? I really don't know. I'm usually too busy doing my own events to watch other DJs work, so maybe I AM like every other guy out there... I DO know that over the years I've learned that when I play the "YMCA", people will get up to dance. I've learned that "Old Time Rock & Roll" will typically get a lot of the older relatives up on the floor, and "We are Family" will usually guarantee that all of the aunts get at least one dance in. Cheesy? I guess so. Does it bring a smile to people's faces? Yup. That works for me!

I tend to get a lot of referral work because people see my events, like them, and want to have an event like it. (I guess in a way, they are asking for a "McWedding...) People are comfortable with my style of performing and with me, and I'm happy with that. I may never do a $5,000.00 wedding, but I'm pretty cool with that too.

As always, your mileage may vary...

Matt,

If a B&G request songs such as Electric Slide, YMCA, Macarena or the Chicken dance are you saying you would not take the gig?

I almost 30 years I have only played the stripper once for the garter and that one was by request. Of all the weddings I have seen done I can't think of a single one in the past 10 years where the stripper was used. Exactly where are these 80% of the DJs out there from?

The point is no wedding is a cookie cutter event no matter how many of the staple songs are chosen by a particular client. As Proformance has stated the term is tradition and many brides look for things that are traditional at weddings. The thing is a DJ must customize around the traditional stuff, honestly it isn't that hard to do.

McWedding? I suppose this is saying that some DJ's pattern their Wedding business model on that of Mickey-d's business model? Known product, fairly consistent at a fair price. It has been a fairly successful model in the restuarant biz.... I wonder how many bazillion have been sold and how many REPEAT customers? Hard model to beat... Just a thought...

McD's does allow a certain amount of customization...

For a moment I thought this thread was on my friend DJ Pat McDonalds wedding style --- wheeeeewww

Matt,

If a B&G request songs such as Electric Slide, YMCA, Macarena or the Chicken dance are you saying you would not take the gig?

Yes, I'll play it.....cheese is in the eye of the beholder. Just don't volunteer this stuff....its giving us a bad rep (in some areas).

I almost 30 years I have only played the stripper once for the garter and that one was by request. Of all the weddings I have seen done I can't think of a single one in the past 10 years where the stripper was used. Exactly where are these 80% of the DJs out there from?

Must be a regional thing, then.....you're lucky this tradition never caught on in YOUR area.

Funny, that first Ernie-Bay Oward-Hay CD (the orange label with the Tasmanian Devil, issued in Chicago circa 1989), had "The Stripper" (David Rose Orchestra) and 22 other tracks considered essential for weddings. Even though I've owned this CD for almost 18 years, I've always pretended this track never existed.....LOL.

I actually got my start in the biz, because of my seeing a cheesy DJ play "Stripper" for the garter.

Maybe what I should have said,

"In My Area, if you ask for a recommended garter song, 8/10 of DJs will offer "The Stripper" as one of 3 or 4 options, which means they're stuck playing it if its picked."

I do the stripper...I ok it with the B/G. I don't push for it, but in my area, its very common.
As far as the typical YMCA, Celebration, Chacha etc....I do those too, but I beatmatch em and get in, get out, get on.
The B/G love them, but they really don't care to hear the whole thing. I'm with them on that. They ultimately get requested if I don't play them. Also, I make sure during initial consultations these songs can be on the "don't play" list too. I'll do whatever they want. DONE.

By the way, McRib is back.

I can just see the comercial now...

Camera pans in to a nice shot of Peter walking through a banquet facility, his head always to the camera. He opens with...

"You can have it your way here at Burg... I mean Merry weddings."

Then the song kicks in, "Have it your way..." with video footage of brides doing everything but the garter removal, bouquet toss, or first dance.

"Yes, nothing traditional here at Merry Weddings because we let you do it your way..."

Well, I do what my clients want. I do present them with the traditions and if they want to follow them, fine. If not, that's fine too because it is their wedding. Now, the format may be similar in many cases because it is a template; however, each is unique.

"In My Area, if you ask for a recommended garter song, 8/10 of DJs will offer "The Stripper" as one of 3 or 4 options, which means they're stuck playing it if its picked."

Well, I've been using Danger Zone lately. When we do our finialzation and they heven't already picked a song, I suggesst that one. It gets a laugh every time.

If the customer and their guests want "Cheese with their Fries", :sqerr: I'll gladly provide it. :sqbiggrin:

Just trying to do what my customers' want me to do.......

I have never used the "Stripper" for any event and it's on the lists that they pick from.

I had never thought of Danger Zone. That's a great idea! I have 26 different songs for my clients to pick from for the garter--19 for the bouquet--and that's one to add.

Thanks!

In about an hour...

Now the songs that have [Edit] are cued to the part of the song that's most appropriate. You can dissect them wherever you want for maximum impact.

I use two snippets for the Bouquet Toss: one for getting the ladies onto the dance floor, and one for the moment the lucky lady catches the bouquet.

1. Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do [Edit]
  2. Beach Boys - California Girls [Edit]
  3. Dixie Cups - Chapel Of Love [Edit]
  4. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun [Edit]
  5. Loverboy - Hot Girls In Love [Edit]
  6. Destiny's Child - Independent Woman [Edit]
  7. Weather Girls - It's Raining Men [Bouquet Edit]
  8. No Doubt - Just A Girl [Edit]
  9. Kool & The Gang - Ladies Night
  10. Frank Sinatra - Luck Be A Lady [Bouquet Edit]
  11. Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman
  12. Roy Orbison - Oh Pretty Woman
  13. Blondie - One Way Or Another [Edit]
  14. Tubes - She's A Beauty [Edit]
  15. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Spanish Flea (Bachelorette intro from The Dating Game)
  16. Rick James - Super Freak (Part 1) [Edit]
  17. Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
  18. Honey Cone - Want Ads
  19. Christina Aguilera - What A Girl Wants [Edit]
I use three snippets for the Garter Toss: one for the garter removal, one for getting the men onto the dance floor, and one for the moment the lucky guy catches the garter. Any of these can also be used for the garter replacement if that happens.

1. Queen - Another One Bites The Dust [Edit]
  2. Inner Circle - Bad Boys (Theme From "Cops") [Edit]
  3. George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Bad To The Bone [Edit]
  4. Warrant - Cherry Pie [Edit]
  5. Rod Stewart - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? [Edit]
  6. Will Smith - Gettin' Jiggy Wit It
  7. Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now (Rocky Theme) [Edit]
  8. Van Halen - Hot For Teacher [Edit]
  9. Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
  10. Soundtrack - Jeopardy Theme
  11. Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl [Edit]
  12. David Lee Roth - Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody [Edit]
  13. Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands To Yourself [Edit]
  14. Prince - Kiss
  15. ZZ Top - Legs [Edit]
  16. Village People - Macho Man [Edit]
  17. Lalo Schifrin - Mission Impossible Theme
  18. Yello - Oh Yeah!
  19. Salt-N-Pepa - Push It
  20. ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man [Edit]
  21. Rod Stewart - Some Guys Have All The Luck [Edit]
  22. David Rose Orchestra - The Stripper
  23. M.C. Hammer - U Can't Touch This
  24. Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure [Edit]
  25. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream (Bachelor intro from The Dating Game)
  26. Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out

What?? I give my Bouquet & Garter songs, and I get no thanks (except for ballphotodj, who thanks everyone), or even a comment?

Fool me once...