Magnetic Signs?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Jan 22, 2008
Ontario
Thinking of getting magnetic vehicle signs to advertise the biz?

Comments?

Would anyone like to post some pictures of their designs?

Here's a pic of my sign... I've had it like 4 years now (In fact, it's time to replace it this spring... I know for a fact that the sign has been responsible for me getting at least 2 weddings, so it has more than paid for itself.

Of course, the beauty is that it is removable if I'm in a "seedier" part of town... The downside, then is that it is removable, which means it COULD be stolen...

I use this particular pic when marketing graduation parties (the grad is my oldest daughter, Ashley.)

Attachments

• Ashley\'s Graduation 2007 056.jpg
    Ashley\'s Graduation 2007 056.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 15
Definitely catches attention. I have received several phone calls directly attributable to my magnetic sign.

Attachments

• DSC02525640.jpg
    DSC02525640.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 14
They are a great way to advertise and a lot less costly than a custom paint job. Besides, you can place them on any vehicle you happen to be using.

I had a set with my old company name some years ago. They did bring in some calls. Plus, they add legitimacy to your vehicle. I was concerned that they might be stolen but in reality, they blew off the side of the truck, never to be seen again.

They are a great way to advertise and a lot less costly than a custom paint job. Besides, you can place them on any vehicle you happen to be using.

I had a set with my old company name some years ago. They did bring in some calls. Plus, they add legitimacy to your vehicle. I was concerned that they might be stolen but in reality, they blew off the side of the truck, never to be seen again.

And I have 3 different sets... one for the Bubble stuff, one for Retrospins, and one for yourphillydj.com

scionboogie.jpg

Usually when signage gets stolen it usually ends up in a party cabin somewhere in the area.

I can't see too many people steal your sign just to destroy it!

What should a person expect to pay for a magnetic sign?

Been thinking about this for a while now.

lol I saw one that gained my attention it read as follows

on the left side said:
How is my Driving? Call today and book a Party with me on 1800 parties

on the right side said:
If you think my Car is Dirty! then you should party with this Dj! on 1800 parties

now that got my attention 200%
they are stickers that are made up

as I was going to do a few Magnetic signs and thought I might wait and see...

Thanks for the pics.

The cost here from one sign maker was about $40 per sign. Not bad I thought.

He suggested words only and very few at that. No pictures. He said it got to busy for people to read when driving. Plus pictures when enlarged are bad. I disagree if done right. Comments?

Maybe we should make some ground rules for magnetic signs or a least state the pros and cons...
(1) Not to busy
(2) Not to expensive in case they blow off or are stolen

Thanks for the pics.

The cost here from one sign maker was about $40 per sign. Not bad I thought.

He suggested words only and very few at that. No pictures. He said it got to busy for people to read when driving. Plus pictures when enlarged are bad. I disagree if done right. Comments?

Maybe we should make some ground rules for magnetic signs or a least state the pros and cons...
(1) Not too busy
(2) Not too expensive in case they blow off or are stolen

There I fixed the typo for you! :sqbiggrin:

From a sign shop (not the internet), it's cheaper to just have your vehicle lettered. Why advertise a fraction of the time when you can do it all the time?

Also, magnetic signs aren't legal in many states. Check your local laws.

illegal ?

thats the first I have heard of that (anywhere)

illegal ?

thats the first I have heard of that (anywhere)

True (especially since 9/11)

I forget exactly how it goes (I could search it) but....

In the state of MA, all vehicles with commercial tags must have the business name in at least 3" permanent lettering and the city/state in 2".

Vehicles with non-commercial tags can be fined for being marked as or resembling (ladder/pipe racks, snow plow, etc.) work vehicles.

These fines can be as high as $120.

Magnetic signs are also considered a road hazard as the can fly off at high speeds.

Found it:

Commercial Vehicle Regulations

Any vehicle registered for commercial purposes, bearing commercial vehicle number plates, including trailer or semi-trailer, and designed and used primarily for the transportation or delivery of goods, wares, merchandise or equipment, or designed and used for the delivery of utility services or for field services related to maintenance/repair of buildings.

The vehicle must display permanently painted or sealed/adhered and plainly marked on both sides of the vehicle's body, exclusive of the windows, and on at least three separate lines, the name of the business entity owning or utilizing the vehicle, the full business address, and the telephone number. The name of the business entity must be displayed in letters or numbers a minimum of three (3") inches in height and the full business address and telephone number must be displayed in letters or numbers a minimum of two (2") inches in height. The business entity may substitute its e-mail address or its web site address for the full business address provided that at least three separate lines are used to display the required information. All lettering and numbers shall have a stroke width of at least three-eighths (3/8") of an inch and shall be in a color clearly contrasting with the background color of the vehicle's body and shall be placed on the upper portion of the door panels or the body panels of the vehicle.

Usually when signage gets stolen it usually ends up in a party cabin somewhere in the area.

I can't see too many people steal your sign just to destroy it!

What should a person expect to pay for a magnetic sign?

Been thinking about this for a while now.

I paid $90 a pair for high qauilty signs.

$90 is fair for HQ magnets. You could usually get 1 color decals on two doors (or panels) for around $75. The permanent letters look much nicer.

You can look at the galleries at my buddy's sign shop here. Much of the work is mine as well. I have been moonlighting with him for years as needed.

I designed the graphic characters for this food wagon two years ago.

CC2.jpg

I did this ReMax car last spring.

remax1.jpg

I got these at Vista print. Pretty cheap and didn't last too long. Very thin magnets.

I got some years ago at Office Depot. Thicker material and it was vinyl stickers. They lasted longer but were more expensive.

Attachments

• Magnet.jpg
    Magnet.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6
From a sign shop (not the internet), it's cheaper to just have your vehicle lettered. Why advertise a fraction of the time when you can do it all the time? Also, magnetic signs aren't legal in many states. Check your local laws.

dont know about the legality here in PA...
but I have not heard anything about it

as for "WHY?"

1- permanent lettering for a DJ biz, is basically saying, "HEY! look inside this truck for expensive audio gear"
2- I drive a used vehicle. which means I am NOT spending the money to get it lettered. one week after I do, the engine will die!
3- you can use the magnetic sign darn near anywhere, inside or out.

also thats why I will use only Magnetic signs once I have finished I take them off so if parked it doesnt scream "STEAL ME" or "My car is full of sellable items"

so unless your willing to pay my insurance then Magnetics is all I will use!

If you have a bunch of guys working for you but not the same ones all the time, you can pass the mag's out with the gear. So you always have your signs out and not have to pay to get all the dj's cars done up.