Mac or pc!!!!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

freakin_rican

New DJ
Aug 24, 2011
whitehall,michigan
I have a hp now that me and my wife share and it runs vdj and serato itch with no issues so far but i am looking at getting my own laptop strickly for dj with my ns7 so i can start doing gigs so my question is should i buy a mac (used or refurbished) or buy a new pc like i said im running pc now but i dont want anything to happen when im out at a gig i like both so i have no preference money is no issue but i will not spend over a thousand on a laptop so if you can help with advice with this decision i would appreciate it and also what specs for both should i be looking for and where to buy i am very limited to what i can buy in my area small town thanks!!!!!

Virtual DJ works better on a windows computer there are more plugins for the windows versions. A windows computer or a mac computer (they are both PC's) are as stable as you want them to be. For running audio software any dual core machine with at least 4 gb of ram and a video card with its own memory would do.

For all intents and purposes, they're both the same sh_t inside.

It all depends on whether you want to spend $700, or $1700... ;)

In all honesty, I believe Apple has the best packaging on the planet (their cardboard looks cooler) -- whether that's worth the extra thousand, is your decision...

For all intents and purposes, they're both the same sh_t inside.

It all depends on whether you want to spend $700, or $1700... ;)

In all honesty, I believe Apple has the best packaging on the planet (their cardboard looks cooler) -- whether that's worth the extra thousand, is your decision...

ok thanks dont think cardboard is worth $1000 bucks

buy a mac and install windows on it, now you have the best of both worlds. I would stay away from Parallels and just use bootcamp for running windows on a mac.

I've done it this way for 4 years now without any issues on an old 13" macbook and for the past year on a macbook pro. I run VDJ for windows, for video the plug ins are way better than what the mac vdj has to offer.

Unless you want the WOW visual factor (the macs just plain look better) .. you can get 2 PC laptops for the same price. MAC OS is nice, but when you spend the majority of the time in an app (VDJ, Traktor, .etc) .. you won't see any real difference.

Dell Latitude

how bout this one

HP ProBook 4530s LJ519UT Notebook PC - Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6 Display, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

This would be more than fine for VDJ and/or ITCH. If you planned on doing video, I would say this is conservative as far as specs go, but you have to find out if they have an integrated graphics card like an nVidia or ATI card. Most standard graphics cards won't cut it.

This would be more than fine for VDJ and/or ITCH. If you planned on doing video, I would say this is conservative as far as specs go, but you have to find out if they have an integrated graphics card like an nVidia or ATI card. Most standard graphics cards won't cut it.

dont know what graphic card they use for this probook but i found a acer from bestbuy that has one with the same specs

An i5 is a good all-around processor ..the i3 is minimal for video or recording ( if you do it) whereas the i7 is probably overkill unless you're doing editing work ( though go for it if you get a good price). Memory is important and cheap .. Get 8Mb. A dedicated video card isn't needed unless you do video or also use it for gaming ( dj software just isn't graphic intensive). Get a 7200rpm disk if offered and large enough to hold your collection (500 Gb should cut it). <yes should be GB not MB>

An i5 is a good all-around processor ..the i3 is minimal for video or recording ( if you do it) whereas the i7 is probably overkill unless you're doing editing work ( though go for it if you get a good price). Memory is important and cheap .. Get 8Mb. A dedicated video card isn't needed unless you do video or also use it for gaming ( dj software just isn't graphic intensive). Get a 7200rpm disk if offered and large enough to hold your collection (500 Mb should cut it).

I hope you meant 500 GB, and not MB. 500 megabytes would fit like 50 of my songs! lol

buy a mac and install windows on it, now you have the best of both worlds. I would stay away from Parallels and just use bootcamp for running windows on a mac.

I've done it this way for 4 years now without any issues on an old 13" macbook and for the past year on a macbook pro...
I've used a Powerbook-to-MacBook Pro since 2004. I've never had anti-viRus/mal-ware/botware/spyware and all those other bloatware apps that PC's MUST use, installed on my system. I've had not a single virus or system exploit in 8 years... all I run is OSX's built-in firewall and I'm on the Internet all the time on a myriad of websites.

PC users negate at least 15% of their overall system speed with these anti-virus apps running resident in memory... it's a necessary evil. Get a Mac and have resale value + peace of mind...

I've never had anti-viRus/mal-ware/botware/spyware and all those other bloatware apps that PC's MUST use, installed on my system. I've had not a single virus or system exploit in 8 years... all I run is OSX's built-in firewall and I'm on the Internet all the time on a myriad of websites.

If you don't use an anti-virus program, how do you know if you don't have a virus or exploit? :tricool:

I agree the Mac is a bit better in that regard as it clamps down more on what you can do with the OS, but the main reason that there isn't as much of a fuss is that there wasn't as many macs out there for virus writers to worry about. There are now and there have been known mac viruses for 6+ years, so consider yourself lucky if you don't have any.

The free Microsoft Security Essentials is actually a pretty good AV program and uses minimal system resources. That and most newer PCs have multiple cores, so the AV impact is pretty minimal. Any computer should have AV software as well as firewall software unless you either never connect to the internet or never load anything from a disc or USB stick. It's only prudent. That and some common sense when surfing or opening files/emails.