Weddings Looking for upbeat reception dinner music

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

trafficgoo

Weight lifting Music Guy
Apr 1, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
www.musclemanmusic.com
I've had a request from a B&G for this coming weekend for upbeat/fun dinner music. A few artists they like are the Police, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson etc. But they also want some wedding classics too. I'm so used to playing slower backound music that I'm racking my brain to find some medium to fast tempo music. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here's some up-tempo oldies that I throw in.....

With Plenty Of Money & You - Tony Bennett with Count Basie
Something's Coming - Vic Damone
That Old Black Magic - Louis Prima & Keely Smith
This Could Be The Start Of Something - Jack Jones
Once In A Lifetime - Bobby Darin

More - Bobby Darin
I'm Shooting High - Nat King Cole
Lucky Day - Judy Garland

All the bolded ones are from the Ultra Lounge: Vegas Baby disc. There's some other good tunes on this recording also.

Amazon.com: Ultra Lounge: Vegas Baby: Various Artists: Music@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gNRKgJsOL.@@AMEPARAM@@51gNRKgJsOL

Where can I buy that "To Love A Woman" duet song?

I ran across it on "Lionel Richie - The Definitive Collection." You might want to check out I-Tunes, Amazon downloads etc. if you don't want or need the whole CD. I got lucky and got a used copy for $7.00. :)

The J Mac is a big fan of "Rock Me Gently" by Andy Kim. That's fairly upbeat for dinner. :)

Good one, Ducky! :thumbsup: We've been sneaking that one in and you can see those toes a tappin' and heads a boppin' when that song is played. :)

"The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson is my new dinner music find. It was on a PrimeCuts disc last year, but I hadn't heard of it until last weekend when I was on my way to a wedding and it was played on a local AC station's Sunday Brunch program. I don't know how I missed it a year ago - it's a GREAT song.

I also get a lot of use out of Billy Joel's "Leave A Tender Moment Alone", Rod Stewart's version of "Havin' A Party", and Paul Simon's "Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard". Even though they're a little dated, everyone knows them and they do make people tap their feet.

One of my favorite cocktail/upbeat dinner tunes...
Stevie Wonder - Boogie On Reggae Woman

these are some songs that I will choose from to play during the end of dinner to kind of pick of the tempo.

I love you more than yesterday...spiral staircase
me and julio down by the schoolyard....simon and garfunkle
beyond the sea bobby darin
midnight confession grass roots
domino van morrison
bright side of the road van morrison
hooked on a feeling bj thomas
ring of fire johnny cash
love comes to town u2
why don't you and I santana
only want to be with you dusty springfield
come and get your love leon redbone
can't take my eyes off of you frankie valli

"The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson is my new dinner music find. It was on a PrimeCuts disc last year, but I hadn't heard of it until last weekend when I was on my way to a wedding and it was played on a local AC station's Sunday Brunch program. .

You never saw last Fall's SWEATER COMMERCIAL for "The Gap?"

the song was featured in that ad (The verse about "If you get chilly, come take my sweater...")

I started playing that song at Xmas parties last December, and got tons of compliments!

(Note also that I listed "Bubbly" & "Im Yours" in another thread about New Background & Dinner Music)

I have a few discs of very upbeat (but not crazy) 70's songs.
there were a huge number of one-hit-wonders.
You'd be surprised how NOT playing the typical slow dinner music will affect your guests, and put them in a more upbeat mood for dancing later.
I'm sure you can find plenty of songs that are recogniziable,
but not exactly "danceable"...and include some of her requests.
For most weddings, I put together my own playlist of VERY upbeat contemporary jazz songs.
I even have guests ask me, "who played that last song?"

Some kind of Wonderful - Joss Stone
Forever - Ben Harper
Have a Little Faith in Me - John Hyatt
I Could Not Ask For More - Edwin McCain

Not really "uptempo," but blend well with the usual-suspect upbeat songs from the artists you mentioned.

I've had a request from a B&G for this coming weekend for upbeat/fun dinner music. A few artists they like are the Police, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson etc. But they also want some wedding classics too. I'm so used to playing slower backound music that I'm racking my brain to find some medium to fast tempo music. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Upbeat, but elegant in no particular order:

Michael Buble - Moondance
Michael Buble - How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By you
Joey McIntyre - Makin' Whoopie
Anita Day - I Won't Dance (also by Sinatra & Ella Fitzgerald)
Cheek To Cheek - Jane Monheit (You Tube it!)
My Girl - Michael Bolton (believe it or not this remake is great)

Now that light alternative your talking about:

Fray - How to save a life
Jack Johnson - Bubble Toes
Dave Matthews - Grey Street
David Cook - Time of my life
David Gray - Babylon
John Mayer - Body Is A Wonderland
Ben Harper - Steal My Kisses

A couple years ago I made the switch from playing slow jazz, classical, traditional dinner music and made what I call the "hip dinner playlist"....Ive never looked back. I get a lot of business based on my dinner/cocktail selections. Here is what I did. I printed off a list of the top 100 songs from each decade starting in the 50's. I went through each one and literally played a portion of EVERY song...if I didn't have it in my library (about 20%) I would listen to it on itunes and buy it if I liked it. From those top hits at least 75% of them were not something you would play during "open dancefloor" so I picked the ones that people would know, could tap their foot to and stuck them in a playlist.

As the years go on and couples give me their must play list, a lot of them are not "danceable" so I pick a couple I really like and add them to my playlist. I feel I have a pretty good selection now.

Your turn.....Get to work! :sqwink:

I do not like to play Vocals during dinner hours or as background music. Melody is what counts the most in my opinion. There are lots of upbeat Jazz and New Age version Music of popular songs. The Hidden Beach Series is a prime example of upbeat songs done Hip Hop style!