Looking For Some Throwaway DJ Gear?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
Woot! has that industry stalwart PYLE PRO on special ...

http://tech.woot.com/plus/pyle-pro-dj-equipment-4

Lots of things to choose from .. amps, mics, controllers, speakers ... maybe you need a set for the kids? or for bar gigs?

I do love how many of the products look just like the competitors ... I see Yamaha mixers, RCF and JBL speaker look-alikes .. even a passing resemblance to Crown and QSC amps.

And who doesn't need a 600W portable Disco Jam box (with Bluetooth) ... http://tech.woot.com/offers/pyle-600w-disco-jam-bluetooth-2-way-pa-1

610Da5nnm%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

You know people are gonna buy it just for the light effect on top (which is probably the most expensive component there). You can even charge your phone through it.

;)

For those that think it's not professional grade, it's pole mountable too - 35mm Speaker Stand Mount and it also has an 'RCA Output for Connecting Passive Speakers'.

I think the specs are wrong - 10'' Woofer and (3) 5" Piezo Tweeters. 3? I count 2.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, they also have the Pyle Dual 800 Watt Disco Jam Powered Two-Way PA Speaker System w/ USB/SD Card Readers, FM Radio, 3.5 mm AUX Input. Note: light not included.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/pyle-800w-disco-jam-powered-two-way-pa-pair-1

All kidding aside, Woot does have some good deals from time to time.

Last edited:
I love Woot, but since Amazon bought them, they've been a dumping ground.

I love Woot, but since Amazon bought them, they've been a dumping ground.
+1 on that. As much as I'm an Amazon fanatic they ruined Woot. I always loved Woot for throw away MP3 players that I could take out for exercise and not really worry if I ruined them. Once Amazon took over I didn't see any MP3 players for a while and stopped watching.

Last edited:
Here is another company in the mold of Pyle Pro. But they have been around for many years and I bet many of us here had one of their mixers or their bullet tweeters in the car.

Reactions: ittigger
I've never heard of Pyramid... The fact that their header and URL say "car audio" and then you have sections for "Professional" audio and "Studio" monitors is a little scary though.

It's probably worth tossing Behringer on the pile as well as a number of their historic products have been clones of other gear (Behringer DJX 700 <> Pioneer DJM-500/600 for example) and Behringer makes some really terrible gear... Yes, yes, I know they have their defenders and I know that have a few pieces of ok kit but on the whole it's crap.

Nick I bet Pyramid the company is older than you. When I first started to sell audio I was enticed to sell their stuff because my boss would pay me a spiff (extra cash) since it was high in profit. and believe it or not we would rarely get returns on their speakers or car amps. Radio Shack , Sears and a few house brands in the late 70's and 80's were as good as so call name brand stereo equipment. Radio Shack's Realistic electronics and speakers are highly collectable and some models are legendary.

Another is Technical HiFi:
Here is another company in the mold of Pyle Pro. But they have been around for many years and I bet many of us here had one of their mixers or their bullet tweeters in the car.

Another is Technical Pro: http://tpro.com/catlist.php

It's possible all 3 are the same Chinese company.

Reactions: Nick James
Reactions: steve149
I know it's tough sometimes .. the stuff probably works .. until it won't.

I think you'd be better off with this...

yzqkAK4.png
I remember when that system was first introduced... 1999-ish. Colorado Sound N' Light sold it as a package and it was pretty much the smallest useful DJ console you could buy at the time. I bet it still works perfectly.

I used to carry one of the Sony CD players (similar to those Panasonic) as a backup. The dang power cable and the audio cable came out in different directions .. tough to use.

But why is the headphone 1/4" called a "jack" and the XLR a "plug"?

I've never thought about the reasoning behind this but I speak the same way.... I "jack in my headphones" and I "plug in my speakon/XLR cables."

At least for me it has nothing to do with differences between TRS and XLR. The verb "jack in" acording to wiktionary can of course mean "(music recording, computing, electronics) To insert an electronic coupling into a receptacle; to connect to something, whether involving a physical medium or not." but I tend to associate a temporary nature to it where as plug is more permanent... The amp racks at the club are permanently plugged into the mixer and I jack my headphones into the signal chain only for my set.

Or... maybe it's not the temporary nature but the "does it belong"... The mixer and amps are all part of the signal chain and work together so they're all plugged into each other whereas my headphones are not really part of the signal chain; they're only "jacked in to it."

The weird thing though... I call all the ports jacks.... It's an XLR jack on the back of the mixer but I plug XLR cables in to it...

Last edited:
I've never thought about the reasoning behind this but I speak the same way.... I "jack in my headphones" and I "plug in my speakon/XLR cables."

At least for me it has nothing to do with differences between TRS and XLR. The verb "jack in" acording to wiktionary can of course mean "(music recording, computing, electronics) To insert an electronic coupling into a receptacle; to connect to something, whether involving a physical medium or not." but I tend to associate a temporary nature to it where as plug is more permanent... The amp racks at the club are permanently plugged into the mixer and I jack my headphones into the signal chain only for my set.

Or... maybe it's not the temporary nature but the "does it belong"... The mixer and amps are all part of the signal chain and work together so they're all plugged into each other whereas my headphones are not really part of the signal chain; they're only "jacked in to it."

The weird thing though... I call all the ports jacks.... It's an XLR jack on the back of the mixer but I plug XLR cables in to it...

As long as you don't mix jack "in" with "off", all's good.

It was just strange that they labeled 2 panel mounted connectors that both accepted something that plugged in differently. I assume the meaning was lost in the translation.

In the past, male ends were "plugs" and female ends "jacks". Since there are now both male and female plugs and jacks, it probably doesn't matter.

But "jack in" just sounds so wrong.