Letter/Flyer to Advertise

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

BlueLineDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Jan 25, 2015
I am looking for ideas to put into either a letter or flyer that I can send out to schools and event planners in the area introducing me to my new business. Like I've said before, I've been doing this for another company for 20 years but I want them to know that I am on my own now. I also want to introduce my company to schools that have been using other companies. Any suggestions or examples? I figured I could type of something in a letter format or flyer format and send it along with some of my business cards. Thoughts?

Be careful if you intend to mention the previous company you worked with. I don't know if there are any legal ramifications of doing so, but if I were them I'd be pi$$ed if you were dropping my name in an effort to give yourself more credit (and also take business from me).

Aside from that, the main thing is to decide if you're doing a flyer, a letter, or a letter with a postcard-type insert in it. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you have any really good photos, use them. If you only have average / point-and-shoot, etc., get some good photos first -- and of your actual setup.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Be careful if you intend to mention the previous company you worked with. I don't know if there are any legal ramifications of doing so, but if I were them I'd be pi$$ed if you were dropping my name in an effort to give yourself more credit (and also take business from me).

Aside from that, the main thing is to decide if you're doing a flyer, a letter, or a letter with a postcard-type insert in it. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you have any really good photos, use them. If you only have average / point-and-shoot, etc., get some good photos first -- and of your actual setup.

Agreed but even more so than the legal side why would you pay to advertise for them? Use your flyer to get you in the door and then tell themyour 20 years experience was with XXX DJ

I in no way intend to drop their name or advertise for my previous employer. Most of them know me personally but I was just looking for a way to let them know I'm on my own now. I have the use of a reception hall tomorrow to set my shows up and get some video/photos so once that is complete I think I will have some good visuals to use.

I in no way intend to drop their name or advertise for my previous employer. Most of them know me personally but I was just looking for a way to let them know I'm on my own now. I have the use of a reception hall tomorrow to set my shows up and get some video/photos so once that is complete I think I will have some good visuals to use.

So the question is, are you going to be pitching to clients that you've worked with before (on behalf of another DJ service) or are you pitching to prospects who have no idea who you are?

So the question is, are you going to be pitching to clients that you've worked with before (on behalf of another DJ service) or are you pitching to prospects who have no idea who you are?
I'm going to be pitching to both those I've worked with in the past and those I have not just to let them know there are new entertainment options in town. I have no agreement with my previous employer regarding a no-competition term. His business is still going, just without me as an employee.

Use two different approaches. You can create one brochure/flyer - but, if you are certain that some prospects will remember you by name or a photo of you - then they should be addressed differently. You want to acknowledge them and the fact that you enjoy working with them.

Also, lack of a non-compete agreement would not prevent your former employer from responding to your solicitation of previous clients. Be certain you fully understand the circumstances and the timelines involved before you send something to contacts and leads you acquired elsewhere.

Blueline, I realize that "lots of guys do it" but I'd advise against going after your former company's clients. First off, it's just wrong. Your character should hold more value than that. Put the word out, build a website and keep yourself clean, ethically-speaking. Word will get around and those who want to switch to hiring you directly will call. Your choices now will be consequences going forward.

Reactions: maestro
I'm on the fence about it. Any other competitor in town is going after them, and he has no tie to the previous company anymore. It really would be dumb not to, from -his- point of view, but I understand that some may have a problem with it.

I'm on the fence about it. Any other competitor in town is going after them, and he has no tie to the previous company anymore. It really would be dumb not to, from -his- point of view, but I understand that some may have a problem with it.

Maintaining your ethics is never, ever dumb. Just the opposite. Always.

Maintaining your ethics is never, ever dumb. Just the opposite. Always.

I completely agree.

The question at hand, though, is -whether- it's unethical or not. It's a free market, and just because the previous company has worked with the school(s) doesn't mean they're belong to him. If the BlueLine comes along and does just as good of a job for half the price, should the school still hire the previous company just because they did in the past? And if BlueLine charges the same price but does a crappy job, you can be sure they'll go back to the previous company. I'd argue (purely for the sake of argument -- honestly) that it's a "may the best man win" situation.

This isn't a clear line in the sand... I'm hoping some other people jump in because now I'm really curious what the general consensus is about it.

Anyone else?

I completely agree.

The question at hand, though, is -whether- it's unethical or not. It's a free market, and just because the previous company has worked with the school(s) doesn't mean they're belong to him. If the BlueLine comes along and does just as good of a job for half the price, should the school still hire the previous company just because they did in the past? And if BlueLine charges the same price but does a crappy job, you can be sure they'll go back to the previous company. I'd argue (purely for the sake of argument -- honestly) that it's a "may the best man win" situation.

This isn't a clear line in the sand... I'm hoping some other people jump in because now I'm really curious what the general consensus is about it.

Anyone else?

What's hard to understand here? If someone contracts you to perform for one of their clients, then you proactively send a flyer to their client, trying to get the biz for yourself, it's an end-around. An end-around is not ethical, period.

Reactions: ittigger
I second rick's point about integrity.

It matters where he got the contact info
, who contacts who, and the time elapsed since the information was active or verified. If the school approaches him unsolicited - that is very different then his use of information gained while employed by someone else to solicit a response.

In parallel examples, I've done a lot of sub-contracting and there are times when it's appropriate to take a client and times when it's not - and in all cases disclosing it is ALWAYS appropriate.

1.) I'm doing an adult party and approached about doing someone's Bar Mitzvah. I give them a biz card identifying the other company I'm representing and they make a clear statement that they do not want to hire that agency. A customer sold on my ability is now walking away and this is a lost gig for both of us - unless I choose to reveal that I'm actually a free-lancer and can support him independent of this company. I give them my own card, and notify the other company about what happened. It is actually more important for them to know the reaction his company is getting from some people in the community than to prevent me from retaining a gig from the sub-contract.

2.) I book a number of unrelated events under my own company name, and at each one is a few key employees of very large corporate client whom I have been serving while free-lancing for another agency. Eventually, one of these people asks me about the duality of the name and I explain that I free-lance under a variety of circumstances and go where the work is. The next year the corporate officers call me directly and I notify the previous booking agent about what happened. Yes - they became my own client but, it was not by any action taken by me.

3.) I was replaced by less expensive employee DJs on a corporate gig I had done a number of times as a sub-contractor. The employee DJs were not able to keep pace with the demands of the choreographed event and in the drama that followed the client was willing to stay with that company as long as they put me back on the jobs. At no time did I intervene or did anyone approach me about anything different. Eventually, the company acquired or trained employes able to perform to what was expected and I no longer do those gigs. I have never solicited that client - though they are aware I've been there performing duties for a different vendor. My relationships with other vendors serving this client is actually more valuable to me than a direct relationship to the client alone.

Reactions: ittigger
What's hard to understand here? If someone contracts you to perform for one of their clients, then you proactively send a flyer to their client, trying to get the biz for yourself, it's an end-around. An end-around is not ethical, period.

If you do it while you are working for them then yes unless you have an agreement with the person you are working for. If you are no longer working for them then regardless of how friendly you were or are they are now competition and it's fair game

I used to sub quite a bit for another guy in town. From day one I made it clear if you book me to do your gigs and someone asks for a card they get mine if you don't like that then find another guy to cover your gigs. You can be ethical and logical at the same time

Should I not feel bad that since I left the company that the clients that were so used to my way and so satisfied are now at the mercy of others who will not do a job as well as I did? Should I not look out for my clients that I've been DJing for for years and let them know that they will no longer have me through their normal business route and in order to get me back they need to book me directly? I feel some are saying that this change needs to happen on its own and let my former clients (through my previous employer) find out on their own that I am no longer associated with that company OR some are saying its fair game.....

Love the discussion...love the opinions and the learning element here!

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Should I not feel bad that since I left the company that the clients that were so used to my way and so satisfied are now at the mercy of others who will not do a job as well as I did? Should I not look out for my clients that I've been DJing for for years and let them know that they will no longer have me through their normal business route and in order to get me back they need to book me directly? I feel some are saying that this change needs to happen on its own and let my former clients (through my previous employer) find out on their own that I am no longer associated with that company OR some are saying its fair game.....

I always refer to this story.....

The old bull and the young bull were standing at the top of the hill overlooking a paddock of many gorgeous young heifers. The young bull said, "Let's charge down the hill, knock over that fence and service one of those heifers each". The old bull wisely replied, "Why don't we saunter down the hill, open the gate, take a sip at the water trough and then service ALL of those heifers?"

Sometimes the best thing you can do is let them see what they are getting especially if you are confident enough to think they will not do as good a job as you did

Should I not feel bad that since I left the company that the clients that were so used to my way and so satisfied are now at the mercy of others who will not do a job as well as I did?

I'm going to have to call that one like I see it. You're being quite arrogant with that statement.

Should I not look out for my clients that I've been DJing for for years and let them know that they will no longer have me through their normal business route and in order to get me back they need to book me directly?

They aren't your clients.

I feel some are saying that this change needs to happen on its own and let my former clients (through my previous employer) find out on their own that I am no longer associated with that company OR some are saying its fair game.....

Let me give you some more perspective. About 25 years ago, I started freelance computer consulting. Landed a gig with a large manufacturer through another guy's company. He made significant money at my sweat. About 6 months later, the engineering manager told me he didn't want the other guy in the picture and they wanted to contract me directly. I didn't send him any flyer and I didn't let him know that I could book independently. He approached me and I took him up on it. I thought I was justified, much like yourself. That relationship lasted another 6-8 years and I booked a lot of time off it. It finally ended around 1997.

Now looking back, I still feel guilty about what I did back then. I SHOULD have done what Bob suggested, go and talk to the original hiring company. I didn't. You now have a choice to make. Are you going to demonstrate high moral character or will you just perpetuate the DJ stereotype? You've been given some good alternatives here that would keep your ethics in tact. At the very least, respectfully submitted, I'd say you need to get your ego in check. There are lots of guys who can push buttons every bit as good as you can. And if you think for a minute that those school administrators won't know the score and see you in a negative light, you're mistaken. Good luck with it.

Being arrogant and confident are two totally different perspectives. If I was new to this industry and had a questionable track record that is one thing. But when an individual has 20 years of success and referrals, that is confident. I know what I'm doing and know that I do a better job then others that I may refer to. When there is documentation to support it, then its hard to dispute.

I just think that so many of us here are going to have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Being arrogant and confident are two totally different perspectives. If I was new to this industry and had a questionable track record that is one thing. But when an individual has 20 years of success and referrals, that is confident. I know what I'm doing and know that I do a better job then others that I may refer to. When there is documentation to support it, then its hard to dispute.

I just think that so many of us here are going to have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Sorry, but proclaiming that the clients are "at the mercy" of the next guy is pure arrogance in my book. There are other people who are capable of doing a fine job, even without you around. I will agree to disagree with you however. Thanks for the discussion.